Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abbydoug

Help With FL Washer Selection

abbydoug
17 years ago

I am down to the final selection of a FL Washer and Dryer.

The models are the Whirlpool 9400 and the Whirlpool 8500.

I know the 8500 has a smaller capacity and a few less features but eithier model will do. The price difference I have been quoted is about $100 more for the 9400. I would be interested in any experiences people have had with these models. Most important would be the reliability of the models.

Comments (5)

• Stocky
    17 years ago

I just took delivery (on Monday) of the 9400 with all the bells and whistles.The wool setting,the silk setting etc..We got the matching dryer as well. It replaced a Maytag Neptune TL that twisted up every article of clothing,and the dryer was no help in trying to get out the wrinkles.
    We fought with Maytag for 2 years and finally got a full credit on both machines.
    So it's 5 days witht he new machine and we love them,they are on pedastals,on a second floor on tile but, I put them on rubber mats just to be safe.No noise, no shaking ,no rocking and most importantly, clothes that come out from the washer that will not need to be ironed. We had to iron EVRYTHING !

• supermommy
    17 years ago

I've had the 9400 for 4 months and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Absolutely no problems and it gets everything really clean. My three kids and I are just getting over some bad colds and I spent the day washing all of our sheets and towels on the sanitizing cycle. Good bye germs!

I have mine stacked to save space in my laundry room and they work great. The best price I found was at Lowes.

• redneck
    17 years ago

Have had the 9400 with 9250 dryer for a week now and after getting the washer sitting right, love them. Clothes are very clean and dry fast. Only thing about my dryer is I don't see how the wrinkle guard feature can really work as it just tumbles a couple times, then stops for awhile ... then after a few minutes repeats. To me the clothes would wrinkle with the little bit it tumbles, but it isn't a problem for me as I'm used to getting my permanent press clothes out as quickly as possible anyway as my old dryer didn't have all the bells and whistles this one does. Bought them at Lowe's also. One thing about the doors is if your dryer needs to be on the left side of the washer your doors will open up against each other. I would have liked the option to reverse the doors, but only the dryer door will reverse and you need to order a door kit to do it.
    Dee

• rockin_robin
    17 years ago

We have had our 9400 set almost a month. We got a deal on the floor model at Menards so it is the dark gray color. I love it. I am saving on dry cleaning because husband used to get his dress shirts dry cleaned and now I do them in this set--no wrinkles. Same with his dockers. I am doing less laundry because of the capacity. I have them in a first floor laundry room without pedastals.
    BTW if we didn't get them at Menards we would have gotten them at Lowes as they had the next best deal.
    Robin M.

• fyuute
    17 years ago

If you have the money for it then you will be much happier with the 9400. You get better wash times, better wash action, larger capacity for comforters and pillows of course, and plenty more cycles to care for your clothes. I'm pretty sure that it's a good bit quieter too. For something that you're going to own for a good 10 years or so you should pick out the one that will make the job the easiest of all and built to last the best.