Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
remodnana

New Front Load Speed Queens

remodnana
9 years ago

Hi everyone, we are replacing our old GE's- adding a countertop and built in sink. Does anyone out there have the models on the SQ website--113T washer and 173T dryer? We have a very small laundry room with exterior door and cannot exceed 33 depth or we encroach on the door frame. The manual says unit depth is 28. We should be ok with venting etc, yes? I would love to hear personal experience. Thank you!

Comments (41)

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

I haven't seen the new front loaders for sale yet, I don't think they'll be out until 2015.

The previous generation front loaders were excellent machines, very well built compared to the competition. I had one at an old house. Unfortunately they no longer offer a heater option, so I would have to think long and hard before buying one again. For me a heater is a very important thing to have in a front loader.

• remodnana
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your reply hvtech42-why is the heater so important to you? I'm not sure my old GE has a heater- how would I know?

Lastly, SQ only has 1 FL washer and dryer with front controls, on their site. Forgive my ignorance but are there other previous models that have that feature--that you are aware of? I want to install a granite countertop. Maybe I can find older models with heaters, if I know what I'm looking for!
    Thank you for sharing!!

• laundryvet
    9 years ago

New FLW same width and depth as old from published spec sheet from what I can tell. Dryer same size based on spec sheets (width and depth).

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

>I'm not sure my old GE has a heater- how would I know?

Is it an agitator top loader? Those never had and never will have heaters. They fill all the way with hot water. However, when you get into high efficiency front loaders, it becomes an issue. There are a few reasons for that:

1. They use so little water, they will be filling almost entirely with residual water in the lines after the water heater, so the water will not be super hot. You can help alleviate this by running a nearby faucet before starting a cycle until the water is completely hot.

2. The water to clothes ratio in a front loader is much smaller than that of a full fill top loader, so the clothes tumbling will cool down the water pretty fast.

3. New Energy Star require washers to limit hot water intake. If you set your old GE to HOT it will fill entirely with hot water, the temperature being whatever your water heater is set to. Most new washers will mix in some cold water to save energy.

Speed Queen, unlike other brands, has found a workaround to issue #3. When set to HOT they fill entirely with hot water. However, when set to WARM, it will not be a 50/50 mix of cold/hot like your old washer. It will be more like 60/40 to save energy. Also, issues #1 and #2 still apply.

So, all this means that it will be difficult to do a true hot wash in a washer without a heater. For me, that is an issue. I prefer hot washes for really heavily soiled loads, they just do much better than warm. If you don't care as much about having a super hot wash, a model without a heater should do fine. Other than the heater issue Speed Queen gets my top recommendation. They are probably the best built front loader in the industry. This is the same machine they sell to laundromats, with the controls modified to work better in your home.

> Lastly, SQ only has 1 FL washer and dryer with front controls, on their site. Forgive my ignorance but are there other previous models that have that feature--that you are aware of?

Yep! You're looking for model AFN50F. By all means go for the new model if you can find it, but i doubt you'll be able to at this point.

• remodnana
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you laundryvet! Thank you hvtech42 for educating me. Yes, my GE is TL w/agitator. I am thrilled to know about this SQ model and I have found the dryer-ADE4BF. Now as long as it fits my space and I think it should!
    You're awesome---

• boba1
    9 years ago

The new model Speed Queens won't be available until April 2015 at least.

• boba1
    9 years ago

The new model Speed Queens won't be available until April 2015 at least.

• laundryvet
    9 years ago

Remodnana,

I took some measurements on my SQ FLW.

Without special right angle or 45 degree water inlet hose fittings, if they are even available, you need 4.5 inches of depth behind the washer to turn the inlet hoses 90 degrees without risk of kinking the hose or putting undo pressure on them where they may rupture. This means the front of the unit is about 32.5 inches from the wall, and the very front of the door is 34 inches from the wall.

My washer door actually slightly overlaps the trim of my laundry room door frame an inch or so. I have often thought of installing a small box cut out in my wall between the studs to allow the hoses to literally pass into the wall. But I have not because I think the next problem would be getting the fill and drain hose into the utility box, which is directly behind the left corner of my washer. I think at most I could pick up just another inch of clearance as is without adding some 45 degree fittings at the water inlet lines out of the utility box.

The SQ TLW would install shallower, the water inlet hose connection point is about 1-1.5 inches recessed relative to the rear panel, and of course you would not have the door frame projecting out the front as a FLW requires. That said, a SQ top load would likely install fully inside of a depth of 31 inches, possibly 30 inches. Maybe another poster with a TLW can take a measurement for you and share true installed depth with hoses for SQ TLW.

28 inches of depth really sounds like a compact laundry pair requirement. Of the major US brands for full size laundry, SQ is probably among the shallowest, but there could be a brand or two that have the inlet hoses going straight down at the rear of the unit, which might buy you some space without special fitting requirements to save installed depth.

Best of luck in you laundry purchasing.

Laundryvet

• laundryvet
    9 years ago

I did find a 45 degree fitting female water hose to male water hose at plumbingsupply dot com. Not sure how much space it would save, $6 each. An option if 1.0-1.5 inches was a big deal.

I am sure there are other places to find a "like" fitting, they just came up first under Google.

Laundryvet

• remodnana
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi boba1 thank you! Laundryvet thanks so much- really great info and it's reducing my laundry room angst as I work this through.
    I would love to hear any design ideas for this space that is used consistently as an entry to my home from a side porch, rather than the front door. Also, it is visible from the open areas of the house, so a clean esthetic is important. On the wish list is a stainless sink/ built in cabinet with room for laundry basket, granite countertop. Thanks!

• remodnana
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Getting ready to pull the buying trigger. What experience(s)? have folks had with AJMadison and/or Appliance Connection?

Anyone out there have the ADE4BF SQ dryer? Thank you!

• remodnana
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also looking at US Appliance---any experience with this website? Thanks again.

• nerdyshopper
    9 years ago

If you search over in the Appliance forum, there are many threads covering buyers experiences with various on-line vendors. I know I have read both good and bad reviews of A.J. Madison. Search carefully. I also considered an on-line purchase and found Goedekers (sp?) to be the most reasonable for the stuff I was looking for. Haven't purchased anything yet but I was shopping in case our old dishwasher and wall oven bite the bullet.

• remodnana
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you nerdyshopper-I checked out Goedeker's! Although a little more expensive, it looks like a trustworthy company. Thanks for sharing.

• gates1
    9 years ago

I been digging for more info on these new FL machines. I see they are available now online to buy. Also local dealers are showing them on their website to buy. I want to go look at them and see the changes

• terrileew
    9 years ago

I've been calling dealers and they are saying another month until the new machines come in.

• mrb6228
    9 years ago

I would really like to see these machines in person. The waiting is terrible.

• jormydog
    9 years ago

Going to need a washer/dryer in the next 30-40 days! Hoping these become available, although I am worried about purchasing a brand new product before they have time to sort out the bugs.

• jeffhardwick
    9 years ago

I too have decided to buy a Speed Queen front loader. In the Carolina's the delivery time is 4-6 weeks. I have found some interesting facts about these new washers (and matching dryer).

The rear clearance for the washer is not mentioned in the installation guide. So I assume they can go flush up to a wall, minus the water hoses in the back. If you use 45 degree connectors this can be just an inch or two.

The dryer installation guide says the rear clearance is 0 (as in zero) inches. If you can get your vent to go behind the wall the dryer can be flush up against the wall.

My local dealer didn't want to sell speed queen and said they had a vibration problem and would not work on the 2nd floor. the 2015 Speed Queen washer reduced vibration by over 70% from last year's model.

The manual for the commercial unit (SFNBCASP113TW01) and the home unit (AFNE9BSP113TW01) are very similar. They look the same except different controls and drain options.

There are several "optional" kits available for installation as well as pedestals, that are not found on the website. Two kits I have found are:

• Exhausting the dryer through sides or bottom can be accomplished by installing a Directional Exhaust Kit, 528P3, available as optional equipment at extra cost.
    • Exhausting dryer in hard-to-reach locations can be done by installing 521P3 Flexible Metal Vent Kit available as optional equipment at extra cost).

more to come . . . .

• jeffhardwick
    9 years ago

I thought there might be some interest that the same Speed Queen front load washer and dryer is being sold by Alliance laundry systems as a light commercial unit next to serious equipment for hotels, hospitals, etc.

Alliance - the largest commercial laundry company in the world -http://www.alliancelaundry.com/

Has several commercial brands, Speed Queen, Unimac, Primus, Huebsch and ipso

Speed Queen - http://www.speedqueen.com/products/front-load-washers.aspx

Unimac Light Comercial - http://www.unimac.com/products/light-commercial-laundry-equipment/on-premises-washers/front-load-washer.aspx#specifications

Primus - http://www.primuslaundry.com/washer-extractors/sp-line/sp10/

huebsch - http://huebsch.com/products/light-commercial-laundry/front-load-washers.aspx

ipso - http://www.ipso.com/en-US/category/109/commercial-on-premises-washers/60/frontload-washers

• Lynn Alker
    9 years ago

Update. We just took delivery of our 2015 SQ's after waiting 5 weeks and spending over $3k and the washer door leaks. Seriously we haven't even used them:( Very frustrating.

• jormydog
    9 years ago

Keep us up to date with what the dealer/SQ says....

Given what I have read about Speed Queen, one hopes this is resolved quickly.

Our new FL are sitting in a warehouse, waiting for the laundry room to be done.

• markb
    9 years ago

"Update. We just took delivery of our 2015 SQ's after waiting 5 weeks and spending over $3k and the washer door leaks. Seriously we haven't even used them:( Very frustrating."

If you haven't used them, how do you know the door leaks?

• Lynn Alker
    9 years ago
    Because the installers run a test
  • laundryvet
    9 years ago

Tight fit there in photo. Did installer lift unit by door during install by chance?May have bent door hinge.

• Lynn Alker
    9 years ago
    We had a custom cabinet made-- the installation was done by qualified SQ installers.

A note to would be web buyers. I learned that if you buy SQ products online you are then dealing with that seller, wherever they are located, to facilitate the warranty, should you have a problem. Be sure you are working with a reputable company that will stand by you after the sale. I bought locally because Speed Queen recommended I do so.
  • mrb6228
    9 years ago

"Because the installers run a test"

Did you discover the leak during the test? How much of a leak are we talking about?

MRB

• Lynn Alker
    9 years ago
    Yes, the leak was discovered during the test. It is small, a dribble, requiring a cloth to catch.
  • Lynn Alker
    9 years ago
    Something else we didn't think of until after the installation. The door on the washer swings open to the right, the dryer to the left. We need them both to swing to the right for easy transfer. That should be an easy fix.
  • mrb6228
    9 years ago

I would check to make sure there is nothing on the glass where it contacts the rubber bellows. Something as small as a hair can offer path for a drop or two of water to escape.

MRB

• terrileew
    9 years ago

We purchased out SQ at a local dealer about a month vago and are happy with it. The salesman said you can move the direction of the door on the dryer, but not the washer. We had switched the position of our washer and dryer six years ago with our old washer, and just switched them back.

• Lynn Alker
    9 years ago
    Update. Waiting for SQ to replace front washer panel per their service rep. I've been using the washer, works fine with the dribble. The dryer door was reversed and functions well. So far we are pleased with the performance of the appliances. The detergent drawer collects water and I did have a load of whites stained with blue liquid soap, probably overfilled it. I was advised to wipe the rubber gasket dry and leave door slightly open between washes. Also to periodically use bleach with whites to disinfect the machine.
  • mrb6228
    9 years ago

Which front washer panel are you waiting on? Control panel?

Glad the machines are working out.

MRB

• invisible_hand
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi remodnani - any update on resolution of the dribble issue from the washer?

I just took delivery of the same Speed Queen washer, and have the same issue ( a small dribble of water from between the door gasket and the door). I even have the same temporary resolution (a towel under the washer), but have also noticed water getting inside the access panel.

I would love to know if there is an easy fix, and if/how Speed Queen resolved the issue.

In fairness, I should note that despite supply/delivery delays and the dribble, I'm really happy with the machine otherwise and have ordered the matching dryer.

Thanks!

• Lynn Alker
    8 years ago
    My issue resolved itself. There was a dribble for several weeks and fortunately it just stopped. It was weeks after that before I heard back from my service rep that the manufacturer had finally sent a new front panel which we decided not to install. All is well and we are happy with both our washer and dryer. I would recommend always checking the inside of the rubber gasket as it collects socks etc.
  • sparky823
    8 years ago

Might just wash the socks in a mesh bag so they will stay in the tub and get clean.

• invisible_hand
    8 years ago

Thanks for the update and the smidgen of hope.

I have a call in to the retailer, but perhaps my "dribble" issue will also resolve itself eventually.

• Scott
    8 years ago

We are having the exact same leaking issue with out new front load speed queen washer. Purchased it in Nov-2015 and after doing a few loads of laundry noticed a small dribble of water leaking past the rubber gasket and door and onto the floor. It's pretty small (a small drip) but it's definitely noticeable. And it's completely unacceptable (especially given the cost of the machine). A service technician came out and replaced the rubber gasket/boot but it didn't make any difference. I haven't called him back yet but based on what I see here maybe they will try to replace the front panel next. Either way it definitely seems to be a manufacturing and/or design defect. Other than the leak I am very happy with the machine. Does anyone have any additional updates on this leak situation with their machines?

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

I would request a replacement be delivered.

• sparky823
    8 years ago

I have a 15-16 yr old Neptune and the instructions for removing/replacing door say if you tighten the top screws first it can cause the bottom of the door to leak so maybe this applies to other brands also. Maybe yours needs loosening, then tighten the bottom first? Just a thought.