Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lighting in Laundry room

Posted by hoyamom (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 15, 11 at 18:40

I have the builder grade small flush mount fixture on my 9 foot ceiling. It is very yellow and dull.
I am spiffing my laundry room up and I want to put a new fixture up there. I want to be able to SEE the difference between blue and black socks so what wattage/bulb/fixture should I use??
The workman said he can split my one fixture and put two fixtures if I wanted.
I looked at HDepot and I saw some track lighting that could go the most of the length of the room but I wonder if the halogens just point in one direction versus lighting the entire room.
I like a lot of light so what would do it for me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lighting in Laundry room

I can tell you from experience that a track light won't do it. Well, maybe it could if you added a box and doubled the number of lamps you used. Even then, however, the light is not as even as a "regular" fixture (incandescent or fluorescent). And it would likely be the wrong color temperature.

And, in fact, color temperature really is what you care about. You've seen those pinkish highway lights? They throw lots of light -- but it's not usable for your purposes. You'll either want a color temperature around 2500 degrees K to resemble a regular incandescent light -- or go for the "full-spectrum" kind with a color temperature around 5000 degrees K. Full-spectrum in a room can look a little strange, but it most closely resembles the sun overhead, so it will be best for discriminating colors.

o

Thanks Steve I am glad you helped me with my decision. I think I will go with a semi-flush incandescent with two 100W bulbs. I can use the Reveal lights.

o

How about this light?? It holds two 100W bulbs.
Photobucket

o

I like that fixture. Very modern looking!

o

Thanks Londondi :-)

o

Unlike Steve-o, I have a track light that I love! It has 4 halogen heads that we point in various directions, 2 towards the washer & dryer and 2 towards the opposite wall. (I have a laundry room/mud room that you enter from either the garage or the back yard). We get wonderful light that makes it very easy to sort dark blue and black socks.

We purchased ours from Lowe's and it just replaced an overhead semi-flush fixture. I really like the looks of it and we replaced our our cabinet pulls with oil rubbed bronze ones to match it.

o

I have a fixture that has 2 100 watt bulbs and they are plenty for my room which isn't that big.

I like the fixture that you posted and should be fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here