Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acenewman_gw

Largest Capacity Agitator Top Loading Washer?

acenewman
15 years ago

I want to replace my washing machine with what I have always had - a top loading agitator. I am looking for the model that has the "largest capacity" - big enough for bedding. Not looking for a top loading HE (non agitating) machine.

Noise is not an issue, would like to be able to control water levels and water temperature (don't want automatic) and I am seeking durability.

Is too late to buy the old style washing machines? If not, what is the biggest one I can buy?

Thanks everyone for your help!!!

Comments (12)

• megamorph
    15 years ago

Allow me to save you a lot of time and energy researching this topic:

Here is a link that might be useful: Speed Queen Top Loader

• acenewman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for the link!

Is a 3.3 cu. ft. considered the largest capacity in top loaders? There is no Speed Queen dealer in my area, has anyone successfully purchased one online and had it shipped?

• wolfc70
    15 years ago

The Whirlpool Cabrio/Kenmore Oasis/Maytag Bravos HE machines are a 4.6 Cu FT top load machines. The Fisher & Paykel HE TL machines are 3.7 Cu FT. The GE Harmony HE TL are 4.0 Cu FT.

• acenewman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Wolf - but I only needed to know for agitator models, not the High Efficiency ones.

• wolfc70
    15 years ago

Ohhh, non HE. You can get the Cabrio and Fisher & Paykel models with an agitator. The Cabrio is I think 3.8 Cu FT. The F&P EcoSmart is still listed at 3.7 Cu FT.

• megamorph
    15 years ago

Also, it should be noted, as someone here so eloquently explained recently, the method that manufacturers use to measure capacity often varies.

• washer_man
    15 years ago

Yes, a direct comparision between the Ecosmart and the agitator Cabrio would be 3.2 and 3.8 cubic feet respectively. The agitator Cabrio is rated as 3.8 cubic feet DOE, while the Ecosmart is rated as 3.7 cubic feet IEC.

• chaskelljr2
    15 years ago

"acenewman":

I got to agree with "wolfc70" on this one.

You can still get a Whirlpool Cabrio and a Kenmore Elite Oasis models in an Agitator version too. We got a Kenmore Elite Oasis back in May of 2007.

Electronic Controls
    4.5 Cu./Ft. Stainless Steel Tub with Total Care Agitator
    Dispensers for your additvies
    And so forth

Good Luck and Happy Shopping....

--Charles--

• lulundave
    15 years ago

I have the Cabrio with agitator. It is very big and handles large comforters nicely. Very rarely have an unbalanced load. The biggest sized comforters I wash are Queen sized.

• acenewman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So is a Whirlpool Cabrio and a Kenmore Elite Oasis basically the same machine?

I wonder if they are still selling the one's with an agitator?

I will have to drop by Sears and see.

I always end up wanting something that no one else does.

With the Cabrio and Oasis can you manually select a water level?

How about the "extra rinse" option?

Is the rinse cycle only cold water?

• lulundave
    15 years ago

Yes, my Cabrio 6200 has a warm rinse available. It follows the warm wash.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022