Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrsh01

rinsing soap from fabric

mrsh01
12 years ago

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question, as it's about doing laundry rather than about the machine itself, but here goes:

Does anyone else have a problem with getting detergent build up on certain fabrics? I am careful not to use too much detergent, but it seems like whenever I wash waffleknit shirts they end up soaking up detergent and not rinsing clean. When I wear them they make me itch and feel like they've got soap residue on them. They end up with this kind of "sheen" where they look a bit shiny, which also makes me think there's soap build up.

I don't use fabric softener luckily, so it's not that. But right now I'm doing an experiment where I washed just one waffleknit pajama top alone with a tiny drop of detergent. I've now run it through 6 extra rinse cycles, and it still appears as though it's not rinsing fully.

Is it just because this fabric is like a sponge or something? I love waffleknits because they're so comfortable, but I end up never being able to wear them after the first washing, because they come out of the wash looking somewhat shiny (not noticeably, but if you stretch the fabric you can see a sort of shiny, filmy look)and they make me itch like crazy (even with hypoallergenic detergent).

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio