Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dragonesse_gw

Can you recommend a great steam iron and ironing board?

dragonesse
11 years ago

Hi,

Not sure if I'm in the right place asking this in the Laundry Room forum, so please let me know.

I am looking for an iron and ironing board. Stopped by Bed and Bath yesterday and found a selection of Rowentas, for the iron, and several options for the ironing board. I don't know where to begin with figuring out which is best.

We don't iron a lot, so I wouldn't spring for a professional system unless it's affordable. So I'm looking to spend under $200 for the iron.

Recs please?

Many thanks!

Comments (9)

• akfd
    11 years ago

For the steam iron, I use Rowenta Steamium; and for the ironing board, it's a Brabantia.

• georgect
    11 years ago

I got an Electrolux from Amazon.
    It makes lots of steam and rated at 1800 watts.

Here is a link that might be useful: Electrolux Steam Iron

This post was edited by georgect on Tue, Jan 15, 13 at 2:31

• Cavimum
    11 years ago

@georgect - I'd be willing to bet the ranch that Elux iron is made by Rowenta.

@dragonesse - The B&D Digital Advantage D2030, linked below, is a great iron for the money and has served me as well or better than any Rowenta I have ever owned. And I iron. A lot. I have tailored jackets with this iron and swear by it. Amazon.com sells it too, although the 20% BB&B coupon might be a better deal, so price shop.

I am not all that keen on Rowenta irons anymore, as very few models are made in Europe anymore. The ones made in Mexico seem to not hold up or last long. 20 years ago, I had a TOL Rowenta and the water tank leaked, like everyone else's. After that, I refused to spend $$$ and only bought the $50 Rowenta models at JoAnn's when on sale or with a 40% coupon. They've been great irons, too.

The Rowenta steam generator iron puts out an amazing amount of steam, but the iron itself doesn't get very hot. I'm not in love with mine. I'll take my B&D #D2030 any day, as it does well in the steam department.

As for ironing boards, the Reliable brand is very good but overpriced for a family that does not iron very much. I cannot speak for the other brands at BB&B, as I have not seen them in person and the online ratings are not encouraging. Polder is a good brand, if you can find one.

Here is a link that might be useful: B&D Digital Advantage D2030 steam iron

• User
    11 years ago

another vote for the B &D Digital advantage Iron.
    It's the best iron I've ever owned.
    I've had it about 6 years.

• mrb627
    11 years ago

I bought a Reliable Velocity Iron. An enormous amount of steam and made in the USA!

MRB

Here is a link that might be useful: Reliable Iron

• ellens2
    11 years ago

The rowenta's don't seem to get good reviews anymore. I have Black & Decker D6000 All-Temp Steam Iron with Stainless-Steel Soleplate (from amazon) since 2009 and it works great!. For an ironing board I got Rowenta Precision Ironing Board which doesn't seem to be in stock anymore. It's wider than the average ironing board so it makes it faster.

• Cavimum
    11 years ago

@ellens2 - I have that same Rowenta ironing board; bought from BB&B. I have always suspected it was a one-off and made by Polder.

• socks
    11 years ago

Think about how heavy an iron you want. When I got my first Rowenta to replace a cheap, lightweight iron, I was concerned because it was quite heavy, but then I realized that it does a better job because of the weight, and the job is done a little faster.

• georgect
    11 years ago

I have to agree with socks12345...a heavy iron is better to press out wrinkles or make creases.
    Pressing down to make up for a lack of weight would get tiring.