Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rebranded washing machines?

Posted by nsb23 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 18, 14 at 16:36

Hello I'm trying to find info on rebranded washing machines...Ive read that maytag machines are built by whirlpool but I cant find any info on which ones are?

I'm looking for specific model #s

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rebranded washing machines?

All of them. Whirlpool bought Maytag in 2006 and shut down their washer factories, including the main one in Newton, IA that had been there nearly 100 years.

o

By Whirlpool are: Maytag, Amana, Admiral, Roper. THere may be more, I'm not sure.

o

I think in 87 when I started in laundry there was something like 26 domestic brands, many with individual plants. Most of those plants are long gone. Same consolidation in refrigerators and ranges too. I would be surprised if there are more than 3 us operations for laundry:
GE Louisville, KY
Whirlpool/maytag Clyde, OH and another nearby town
Frigidaire Webster City, IA
Alliance Laundry (SpeedQueen) Ripon, WI

Laundryvet

o

Whirlpool-family washers include (both current and past) Whirlpool, Kenmore, KitchenAid, Roper, Estate, Inglis, Maytag, Amana, Admiral, some Crosley, and some GE-branded toploader stacked sets.

o

Frigidaire Webster City, IA is closed. Jobs went to Mexico.

o

Curiousshopper, did Frigidaire make Electrolux at that Webster City plant? I live about 40 miles south of there and it is too bad that it closed. I didn't know that. When Maytag went out of Newton back some years ago, it about killed a very nice community that had VERY strong ties to the plant. It was heart breaking to see. My 26 year old Maytag is still going fine:) But have since purchased a Miele set to go into my new remodeled bathroom. So the old girl is semi retired. Still doing my DH's dirty farm clothes.

o

Sorry to hear about Webster City, I knew a few guys that worked there years ago.

Big article at PlanetLaundry how Electrolux is hiring hundreds in Charlotte NC over the next few years. They must have some big plans for the US market.

Laundryvet

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here