Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brenda_md_gw

Whirlpool Duet and Fabric Softener Problem

brenda_md
12 years ago

I have had a Whirlpool Duet for several years and have been quite happy with it. However, this weekend I noticed that the liquid laundry softener was being dispensed right off the bat with the laundry detergent, not in the final rinse as the manual says. Have any of you had this problem and, if so,what was the resolution?

Comments (12)

• dadoes
    12 years ago

Unless there's a design of which I'm not aware, the dispenser works by holding the softener until the rinse fill, at which point the incoming water flow is directed into the cup so it overflows and flushes the softener into the tub. When the water flow stops, most of the water siphons out of the cup ... normal for a small amount to remain. It may siphon or overflow prematurely if too much softener is loaded into the dispenser or if the drawer is closed roughly. There should be a cap/insert that's removable to clean the cup and siphon tube.

• brenda_md
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dadoes,

Thanks for the input. However, I put very little softener in. Regardless, it has pulled out in the very beginning. I do agree, there can be a little bit of water left sometimes in the well cup, but this is not the problem. Whirlpool is closed until Monday at which time I will contact them on this problem.

• asolo
    12 years ago

"It may siphon or overflow prematurely if too much softener is loaded into the dispenser or if the drawer is closed roughly. "

I think dadoes likely nailed it. I've had Duet for almost seven years. I've done the overfill/jiggle thing a couple of times.

• asolo
    12 years ago

Oops...didn't see that before I hit my button.

Do have the opinion, however, that the softener can't begin the siphon-dispense unless/until caused by rising level and/or getting shaken.

So.....I don't get it unless the softener compartment is being filled/dispensed in error by a faulty control board or mis-alligned water dispenser. Just noodling now.

• asolo
    12 years ago

@mark40511

9400 purchased/installed 2/2005. Been wonderful from day one. Hope yours may have been, too.

• mark40511
    12 years ago

Asolo

Mine was purchased/delivered/installed 4/05 & it has been but I did have ONE problem the first year, but since then it's been great. Still looks new but I'm OCD about all my things so I'm not a typical user. But- it has been used a lot.

The only thing I notice from time to time is a slight squeaking when the drum rotates ONE way only, but then it stops & may not squeak again for months. It's been doing that for about a year now. Not sure what it is. I recently found a clean washer cycle on mine (NOT the C:00) prompt but a regular clean washer cycle.

If you dilute your fabric softener a bit, gunk will not build up in the dispenser : D

• vak628
    8 years ago

brenda_md,

I know exactly what you're talking about as mine does the same thing. Only now the soap goes straight through as well. Did you find a solution?

• dadoes
    8 years ago

vak628,

If you're referring to liquid detergent ... that will happen if the insert/separator piece in the detergent cup has been removed. It's set in place for liquid detergent to block it from running out prematurely ... liquid is flushed by water filling into the cup and overflowing above the insert piece. The insert is set to a raised position for powders or removed completely depending on the dispenser design.

Detergent Dispenser Usage

Dispenser Adjust - Powder vs. Liquid

YouTube Video - GE Dispenser (may be relevant to other brands)

• boba1
    8 years ago

My 2.5 year old Duet is managing to "squirt" some of the water into the softener dispenser prematurely, sometimes when it's filling for wash and sometimes when it's supposed to be dispensing the bleach, it also ends up diluting what softener waiting for the final rinse. Isn't there some sort of rotating mechanism/"head" that moves around and targets the various dispenser additive sections at different portions of the cycle? I hear mine clicking around adjusting for bleach and softener. I've been having this problem for about 8 months now. I end up having to put the softener liquid in the dispenser after the bleach segment during the 1st rinse. So much for "automatic" dispensing. And dadoes knows I do know how to properly use a Duet.

• dadoes
    8 years ago

There is a diverter mechanism (driven by a stepper motor) in the dispenser drawer to direct incoming water flow to the appropriate compartment at the appropriate time. Some of the flow may always go to one of the detergent cups, with part of it to bleach or softener. Top exterior of the drawer housing typically has markings (letters or numbers) for each position with an arm to indicate alignment. Dispensing malfunction could be a misalignment of the mechanism. Can also be caused by mineral deposits accumulated from water conditions in the shower holes/nozzles for the compartment(s) involved causing misdirected water flow.

• boba1
    8 years ago

Thank you dadoes.