Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
recordaras

Updated Laundry Detergent Review from TheSweetHome

recordaras
9 years ago

I thought I would share - I really enjoy TheSweetHome blog and all the testing they do, and this week they updated their top laundry detergent pick after some impressive research: http://thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-laundry-detergent/

Some interesting info on the chemistry behind laundry detergents in there too!

Comments (11)

• Rault85
    9 years ago

Thanks for the link, I've skimmed over it and it looks really interesting! I hope I can get a min to read the whole thing soon.

• Cavimum
    9 years ago

Great article! Thank you for posting this.

• recordaras
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Happy you enjoyed it as much as I did!

Oh, and I'll have to try the Ecover powder now - seems it did very well in their tests, but I haven't seen much discussion about it on Gardenweb.

This post was edited by recordaras on Thu, Jan 22, 15 at 13:45

• moviegeek
    9 years ago

Great article, very informative. The author proves what I've always said about pods, they are worthless and expensive.

I think I'll pick up a bottle of Target free & clear next time I'm there.

The only thing I disagree with is the authors term of "warm" water, the author tested detergents in 60F and 78F. Washer manufacturers and garment companies consider warm water to be 80-105F(27-40C). Most powder detergents don't work well or dissolve completely in cold water.

http://www.maytagcommerciallaundry.com/content.jsp?pageName=Maintenance-Washers-Advice3

This post was edited by moviegeek on Thu, Jan 22, 15 at 16:21

• recordaras
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The Target Up&Up review also made me curious, but at this point I have more liquid detergents than I'll ever be able to use, so that one will have to wait...

And I agree on the warm - in my Miele Cold is 86F, so I can see how they didn't notice any difference between loads washed in cold (60F) and warm (78F). She does mention closer to the end that hot water cleans better, but I wonder what she considers "hot":
    "But honestly, hot water DOES do a better job of getting your clothes clean. As in any chemical reaction, turning up the heat makes the reaction go faster, and therefore more likely to go to completion. You might consider running some loads on hot. "

This post was edited by recordaras on Thu, Jan 22, 15 at 17:14

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

All that ionformation to learn that Tide is best? That's always been the consensus around here. Sorry, but I was like DUHHH.

The Target detergent is a new player. That was interesting.

• Pat z6 MI
    9 years ago

very kind of you to supply that link. i'm going to try the Ecover Zero to see if i like it better than All Free liquid. I sure hope so since I don't like liquids. thank you so much.
    pat

• recordaras
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Please share what you think of it, Pat! The Zero liquid looks pretty interesting too, however I am with you on preferring powders.

• moviegeek
    9 years ago

I looked everywhere to see what ingredients are in Target Up&Up liquid detergent to no avail. I suspect it's made by Sun Products, the same company that makes All. The reason is the 100oz and 150oz bottles are roughly the same price, they also have the same scents(regular, lavender, free). Some reviewers on Target's website have reported that the Up&Up caused rashes.

Maybe I will stick with All Free&Clear, I'm happy with it.

• sparky823
    9 years ago

Pat; have you not tried the All Free/Clear Powder? Also do you use the 3X liquid? I have used it and you are using less with it even though it is still liquid.
    Have you used the All F&C Pods?

• Pat z6 MI
    9 years ago

spark, i actually used the All FC powder today. I'll tell you later this week if it bothers me. I do like that it has an enzyme.
    Pat