Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kemmin

Maytag Epic (9700) vs Whirlpool Duet (9400)

kemmin
17 years ago

We have narrowed the washer purchase down to the Epic and Duet.

I've read a few posts on the Duet and for the most part pretty positive. I can't find anything on the Epic though. On spec they seem to be the same (I know Maytag is now part of Whirlpool). The washer will be on the 2nd floor.

Any input comparing the two is appreciated.

Andy

Comments (10)

• stanford1
    17 years ago

We narrowed our w/d choices to the Maytag Epic, Duet 9400, and the Sears HE5t. We eliminated the Sears model, due to VERY POOR service with our Kenmore appliances in the past. The 9400 seems to have a decent track record. We, too, found very little info on the new Maytag. I think the Epic has only been around for a few months. Our salesperson told us the Maytag has a better/stronger motor than the Duet and also, is better constructed. We decided to steer clear of a new model with no real history as well as a company (Maytag) that has had issues with recent models.I have also had ONE Maytag washer, that I never liked. Our salesperson also showed us several other Maytag models that will be 'pulled' soon for a "makeover". We just didn't want to be part of that. So.......the Whirlpool Duet it is.

• msgenie516
    17 years ago

Hi,

I purchased the Maytag Epic in the beginning of December, 2006 and I have been extremely pleased with it. I have no personal experience with the Duet so I canÂt give you any comparisons. I also canÂt say anything about the reliability of the Epic, as I donÂt have it all that long (barely two months).

As far as I know, the Epic is really a rebranded KitchenAid Ensemble and is in no way related to the Maytag Neptunes which had so many problems, and I understand the Ensemble has a good history. I read somewhere that Whirlpool bought both Maytag and KitchenAid and wants to re-establish the Maytag name by putting it on a proven machine (the Epic/formerly Ensemble).

I must say I have the cleanest laundry ever! I even washed some of my husbandÂs work clothes that have been in the closet "forever" because they looked so bad I wouldnÂt give them to him to wear. I thought with stains and soil that old that wouldnÂt come out with my previous washer, it was hopeless. Well, they are now useable once more! Now DH is eager to present me with some challenges (really dirty clothes) and the Epic has not failed me once. It is very difficult to get him interested in something like a washing machine, but he is amazed at this one.

I also find the Epic to be very quiet (my cat loves to sleep on it when itÂs running) and there is barely any vibration. I do have it in the basement on a concrete floor with no pedestal.

There are no signs of mold (it smells fresh and clean and I have a good nose) but I do wipe the gasket dry when IÂm done using it and leave the door open. I also regularly do hot washes and use chlorine bleach occasionally.

It is extremely easy to use, you could say "intuitive". This is my first FL (wanted one "forever" but my old TL was determined to last 14 years before it gave out) and, right now, I wouldnÂt hesitate to buy another. I actually enjoy doing laundry (never thought I would say that) and am always looking for another load of dirty clothes!

I hope you find these comments helpful. Good luck with your washer, whichever one you choose!

• msgenie516
    17 years ago

Hi again,

By the way, if it makes any difference to you, the Epic is made in Germany, while I believe the Duet is made in Mexico. I can't be sure of this and you would have to check the tag inside the door to verify it.

Enjoy your new washer!

• kemmin
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for your responses. I think we are leaning towards the Maytag - and holding our breath and the same time. It's scary because I just have not heard much about the Maytag except for your post. As for the Duet it seems to be a love or hate experience from the posting I have seen.
    I didn't know the Epic was from Germany, but from the specs I have on the Duet is says it's made in Germany.
    Again on paper another similarity between the two.

Thanks again for your responses and I hope to hear more from others! (We are not buying until next week).

• wblynch
    17 years ago

Big Duets are made in Germany, Duet Sports are made in Mexico

• fyuute
    17 years ago

Remember that the epic is now made by whirlpool(and both are made in Germany). Even though this machine is new, the overall line/style has been in production for quite some time. With that being said you will definitely get a better performance from the Duet though. It retains the Direct Inject wash system which the epics are apparently lacking. The epics do, however, have a bit better construction to them in the since that they have die-cast metal knobs and hinges, along with galvanized side panels on that model. Both have great sound insulation and water effiency. Typicially the epics have a bit better value to them since you can normally find them at a lower cost. Either way you are certain to be happy.

• dross
    17 years ago

All of these machines come off the same assembly line at the Bauknecht factory in Germany. As for service, in most of the US both Kenmore and Whirlpool (and Maytag and Kitchenaid) use A&E for their service - this is a company jointly owned by Whirlpool and Sears. - DR

• sears4me
    17 years ago

First of all... For those who are not aware, Kenmore is made by SEVERAL appliance companies including Frigidare, Lg, Whirlpool, Ge, Amana and Bosch! It is unfair to hold a brand resp. for any old problems. Their are good maunfactures and bad. I am not saying Kenmore is the best but the track history is harder to judge than other brands. The new Epic is a re-worked KitchenAid and is not any more heavy duty than the Duet. ALTHOUGH... is is a better value for what you pay for each. I have sold appliances at Sears for 13 years and am very impressed by the new Epic in comparison to the Duet and HE5t. Great features for less money. I would have no problem selling any of these machines to a customer. As an owner of the older HE3 washer, I love it and it has also gotten great reviews along with the Duet and KitchnAid. Please Note.. The new HE5t and soon to be new Duetht have a new 6 point suspension system designed just for 1st and 2nd floor laundry rooms! The older Duet/HE4t/HE3t/HE3 and Epic do not. They can cause much more vibration than you would like unless on a very stable floor either being made of concrete or tile etc... Stay away from ALL Frigidare made products especially front loaders as the bearing will go in 3-5 years and cost you $500 minimum to replace. New Oasis TL/Cabrio machines are doing great things as well. Be not afraid. As far as the country of origin... All 3.8 cu. ft. machines are made in Germany and the 3.3/3.5 cu. ft. models are made in Mexico. This goes for the Maytag/Kenmore and Whirlpool models.

• hisalterego
    17 years ago

for what I know, the HE4T are 6-point suspension system, other than the skin care rinse II and the asthetics, more robust hinge and the so called "audio-visual" control display, it's the same robust machine.

The Epic's a great machine, other than slightly less features in comparison models they are a value, do note tho, the machine does not have a delay start option if it means somehting to you unlike almost all frontload washers offers.

• hisalterego
    17 years ago

I meant the HE4T and same as HE5T except for the minor differences listed, mostly asthetics.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville