Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Delicates - my new favorite FL cycle!

Posted by bert76 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 1, 12 at 14:42

I thought my 6-year-old GE FL was headed for craigslist or the dump as it wasn't cleaning as it used to and was getting progressively louder during the spin. Appliance repair guy said some computer part was shot and would cost too much to fix. But upon researching new washers I came upon a trick mostly used by cloth-diaper moms - use the delicates cycle to get more water in the tub to improve cleaning.

Using the delicates cycle has really improved the cleaning and, strangely, has helped with the spin cycle. I think that since there is so much more water weight it helps to balance the load easier.

I think I've bought some time with this trick so I can wait to buy new machines when I get a new laundry room built that has a beefed up subfloor. Holiday bonus wasn't what we had hoped so it might be a little longer than I want :)

Anyway, I thought I'd pass along this tip for the new year!

Bert

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Delicates - my new favorite FL cycle!

Sounds like the bearings are going. It shouldn't be spinning as fast at the delicate cycle, therefore it doesn't sound as bad. However it will take longer to dry your clothes.

My old Maytag FL got to the point of sounding like an airplane ready for takeoff when it would do its final spin.

Hopefully your FL will hang in there until you are able to replace the unit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here