Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fiveunderfive_gw

doors on lockers in mudroom?

fiveunderfive
13 years ago

We are in the final planning stages and pulling permits for our dream house build, a 3800 sq ft house for the 8 of us (soon to be 6 kids plus hubby and I). Our mudroom will be about 13'4 by 7'4, and is sandwiched between the kitchen and garage. We were able to move the laundry to the 2nd floor to accommodate 10 lockers, 7 on one side, and 3 on the wall across, which will also house our free standing freezer(had to cut sq footage so we needed to take it out of the kitchen) and a small closet. The lockers are to be built by our trim carpenter, so we are coming up with the plans for that. We are interested in something similar to the one I linked to below. I have it referenced to "hollyh3kids" - not sure if she is from here or "rate my space." DH wants shoe shelves along the bottom (I think 2 or 3 shelves that will run the full depth of the lockers), then the locker box itself with hooks, and 1-2 shelves above. For those of you with lockers currently, do you have (OR WISH you had) doors? I imagine with 6 kids throwing their stuff in there (coats, backpacks, sports gear, etc) they will get pretty full and messy. DH thinks doors are redundant and will never get utilized. I agree that they may be left open more often than not, but I like the idea that I CAN close them if I want the area to look neater. However, if we are the only people who will come in from the garage, unless guests are using the powder room, which is immediately across from the mudroom, no one else will be back there (tho theoretically there could be views from the DR). DH thinks a door (possibly a pocket one, though neither one of us are big fans of those) on the mudroom itself would be a better solution. Looking for BTDT advice. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: