Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cluelesshusbandman

Whirlpool Duet Sport 8300 pair arrives (beware very long post)

cluelesshusbandman
17 years ago

After many agonizing hours of searching, reading and deciding our Duets arrived yesterday. Never believed I would be excited over getting a washing machine. Strange.

Long story short we came down to either the Fisher & Paykel or the Duets. I think my wife wanted the front loaders (She will never say just "Whatever you think"), but I initially decided, for future repairs and in consideration of our space (we have built-in cabinet above the laundry space), to get the F&P.

I ordered them online at Lowes and then after more research decided the Duets might be a safer choice in as far as future repairs since there will be a whole lot more Duets sold and serviced. IÂll also admit they are way cooler looking too, shouldnÂt matter, but it does none the less. So I cancelled the F&P order. One note of interest 3 days after I ordered online Lowes still had not contacted me to setup delivery.

So I truck out to Lowes, wait while the lone salesman helps some couple look at what I surmise was *every* cabinet made in the US. 35 minutes later itÂs my turn. Yippee. Sale went smooth and opted for the 4 year extended warranty on both units for $139 total. I hate extended warranties and never buy them, but in this instance I felt the price was fair. Even one service call and it will pay off. Setup delivery for 8 days later.

As a consumer youÂve probably been in the situation where you finally ordered some big ticket item. You are apprehensive because even though these are you babies that will live with for years, to the dudes delivering them they are just two more heavy-assed things to beat around.

With the Duets I had 5 concerns.

- I prefer to have items such as this delivered still in the factory packaging. For me this provides several warm and fuzzies.

. ~ If it is factory sealed I know IÂm not getting a floor sample or a customer return.

. ~ Less chance of dented side or scratches.

. ~ On the bad side, hidden shipping damage can be there.

- Installation of pedestals. While it doesnÂt take a Ph.D to install 4 bolts, IÂve found, as a general rule, that items assembled at a store get hosed. Be it missing washers, loose bolts, or over-tightened bolts, I prefer to do it myself.

- Shipping bolts. The Duets washer has 4 shipping bolts that lock down the suspension during shipping. The instructions are very specific about the importance of these bolts not being removed until the unit is at the customerÂs location.

- Washer connections. Again, being anal, but if IÂm the one who tightens them down, I know they are properly tightened, but not overly so.

- Leveling of washer. While I do not understand why the washer must be *perfectly* level, none the less the instructions are very clear, even to the extent of telling you to use a level. I can see why it has to be *solid* and reasonably level, but using an actual level to check seems excessive.

I had setup the delivery for Monday afternoon. I waited until the Friday prior and finally called because no one had contacted me. I just needed to be assured the units were in and would be delivered Monday afternoon. They were and they would I was told.

First thing Monday morning I get the call. They would be here between 10:00 and 12:00. Hmmm I expressed that I had asked for afternoon delivery and they grudgingly said OK. Of course, I knew that meant 12:00 and one microsecond, which it ultimately did.

They were delivered in a large panel truck with one of those cool drop down lifts. The units were both unpacked and mounted on the pedestals already. Not what I wanted but there appeared to be no damage. The shipping bolts were still in the washer, so that was good.

The fellas that delivered them were normal looking guys and I wasnÂt afraid to have them in my home. They removed the old washer and dryer and brought in the new dryer first. They were careful to not damage the unit, which is always a good thing. They hooked up the dryer, then brought in the washer.

They had the hoses hooked up before I had a chance to tell them I would do it, but in the interest of not being one of "those" customers, I let it slide.

They slid the washer back and adjusted the legs until it was solid. I kept thinking about that Seinfeld show where Kramer brings over the Commando 8000 air conditioner sits it in the window, lowers the blinds, and announces "INSTALLED!" Since it is my belief that using an actual level is ridiculous as long as the thing is relatively level I didnÂt say anything. If I had been doing it myself I would have though.

One of the fellas stood there with me and ran the washer through a cycle explaining some of the things that are different than our top loader, while the other guy moved the old units up to our garage, where I just sold them for 100 bucks. Once the cycle was over, he asked if I had any other questions and off he went.

Later that evening the wife gets home. Since she hasnÂt really mentioned them recently I had no idea if she was excited or not. The answer came when she comes in the door, feeds the dog and makes a beeline for the laundry room. Remember, she still thinks they are the Fisher & Paykel units, which look about like her old machines, as she turns the corner. Right when she got home I purposely turned the laundry room lights out and chose the modes on each unit that lit the most LEDÂs for maximum effect. I could tell from her reaction she was happy I got her the front loaders instead.

We went and had supper then meandered back down to fire these babies up and run them through the paces.

From that I can offer these comments:

First, anything that uses that little water, just a smidgen of detergent and is that quiet simply *cannot* clean clothes well. But they do. Weird.

Again, I canÂt believe how quiet the washer is compared to our old top loader. The only times it makes noise is when the door locks or it is emptying.

I also enjoy the light in the dryer. Nice touch.

So, in closing (finally), so far we are happy. Even though these things cost a small fortune, if they hold up well, I think it was a good investment.

Also, in a post somewhere else on this board I stated I had talked to a Whirlpool CSR and been led to believe the 8300 models had 2 springs and 4 shocks. They *do not* according to the manual which says the 8300 has only 3 shocks.

In a month or so IÂll add to this post on how they are working out for us.

Here is a question though, just how full can you fill on of these things? The wife talked like as long as the door would close you were good to go. Can you really pack that much in there and expect good results?

Comments (6)

• wblynch
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You may not think so but these machines need to be perfectly level. There have been myriad reports of problems with noise, vibration and premature failure resulting from out-of-level washers. Good luck.

• cluelesshusbandman
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. I'll actually be checking it later with a level, however, since I bought it at Lowe's and Lowe's installed it, if it fails due to being not perfectly level you can bet they will fix it. :-)

• whirlpool_trainee
    17 years ago

Well, according to whirlpool.com the max. capacity should be 15 pounds:

Capacity

Capacity (Size): 3.3 Cubic foot

Capacity (Weight): 15

That's for regular clothing. If you're washing delicate items you should only use half of the max. capacity - for woolens or handwash items only a third.

HTH, Alex

• oregpsnow
    17 years ago

Clueless - You didn't listen to me when I told you to get the 8500 because of the better suspension but I am over that now. Hopefully you will be OK with the suspension you have.

Despite what some ads will tell you it is not a good idea to stuff the washer full. Depending on the contents, about half to 3/4 full will allow room for the water to slosh and the clothes to snuggle with each other in a happy soup. The clothes also need room to move so the load can get fairly well balanced so the machine is stable when it ramps up to warp speed.

Good luck with your new toy. I love my 8500. I think I love the dryer even more than the washer. I can dry all my clothes on Low heat and they are dry in about 10 minutes. Very cool.

• dmlove
    17 years ago

I can dry all my clothes on Low heat and they are dry in about 10 minutes.

What do you wear (what fabrics)? My dry is nowhere near that fast. I do everything on medium high and it still takes 40 minutes for a full load.

• cluelesshusbandman
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Being an Engineer by trade, I am ceaselessly amazed at some of the idiotic designs American engineers come up with. To save 99 cents they leave a shock out of a machine. So either the 8300 needs another shock to function properly or the extra shock was added as to raise the price for no reason.

In our case I am irritated, amazed and disappointed there are only 3 there. That said, we are on concrete and always will be so there is really no issue as the machine is rock solid when spinning.

I did heed your words, but I went *way* over budget as it is and the 8500 was even more out of our range.