Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Washer recommendation? Top loader, no frills

After 27 my washer finally bit the dust (not a typo: 27 years for this ordinary GE washer. It was fixed once in its first year, and never again.) The snubbers that balance the tub just wore out. It still washes just fine: but someone has to sit on it while it spins.

I know appliances have changed a lot in the interim. We are looking for a basic top loader. No front loaders. We are empty nesters now, so don't need either great capacity, or lots of bells and whistles. Just permanent press and regular settings. I'd prefer something that has mechanical controls vs. using a chip.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Comments (41)

• feinmaster
    10 years ago

Why not fix it? Looking for new washers these days is a bit of a nightmare (in the process of it right now myself).

If you must buy new, the Speed Queen line is probably the closest to what you have without fancy breakable electronics. I am looking at one of these.

• enduring
    10 years ago

Lots of people love their SQ's. Simple, made in the US, heavy built.

• laundryvet
    10 years ago

Not sure if you can still get the snubber pads for the 70s and 80s Maytags and Speed Queens workhorses. If you can't get them from the OEM try Partsking or a like online supplier, they may have a source, but may not function as good as the genuine parts from the manufacturer.

Laundryvet

• mrb627
    10 years ago

Assuming you are referring to a GE Filter-Flo machine, here is a link to the YOKE CUSHION that probably is work down to nothing.

MRB

Here is a link that might be useful: EBAY Parts

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks!

If it was just the snubbers I think we’d try to fix it. I asked my husband (engineer) to see what he could do. He looked and said they were completely worn out. But when he stood it upright again and we tried running it, now it leaks. We couldn’t see from where…but not the hose joints or anyplace obvious.

(FWIW : He had turned it over (or opened it, I’m not sure, I was not there) about once a year to adjust them, with no ill effects)

• gaken
    10 years ago

Like others have said, the I would recommend a top load Speed Queen. Build like a tank, trouble free for MANY years. Washes well. I own the front load version.

However, if I were to recommend a 2nd place washer, it would be a Staber Washer (google it). Made in Ohio. Top loading, horizontal axis washer. Minimal electronics. Used in some fire departments. Any thing that breaks on it is designed to be easily replaced by the owner.

• gwarstong
    10 years ago

With respect....Staber has come in for some pretty intense criticism on this forum and elsewhere over the years. In particular, their support and help to troubled customers has been pretty well castigated....which I think is not a good thing for a really small player in any market. I, myself, have been unimpressed with their responses to my telephone and e-mail inquiries which led my abandoning consideration.

On the other side, I found Speed Queen exemplary. The national sales manager answered his own phone and graciously directed me to several people and sources. The #542 I bought four months ago has been 100% as-represented. And, unlike Staber, they have actual retail dealers. For those seeking a simple "old tech" machine, I recommend it without hesitation. Too early for me to comment on longevity but everything else about it is exactly what I intended.

Original Author
    10 years ago

I looked at Speed Queen agitators, and the local dealer had them starting at ~ $ 800. Considering our light use, I don’t want to spend that much. We don’t need our washer to, er, outlive us. ;)

• gwarstong
    10 years ago

You may have to make a mental adjustment about prices.

When I began shopping (with intentions similar to yours) I was surprised by 1) how much everything cost and 2) the surprisingly poor quality of the lower-priced alternatives.

Like you, I about choked on Speed Queen's price for an old-tech top-loader. However, my opinion of the very few lower-priced alternatives was that they were unworthy of consideration at any price.

Good luck in your search. I would interested in learning about your decision when made.

• azmom
    10 years ago

If I have choice, I want all my appliances to outlive me. It would be a fantasy comes true that I would never worry about any repair and replacement of appliances.

Going through this forum you could find all types of headache associated with most washers, other than Speed Queen. Some European brands/models may have fewer issues, but they still have problems, both their selling price and repair cost are outranges.

We work in high tech fields; it is why we know better not to get a complex, high maintenance machine at home. We definitely do not have the time and patience waiting for repairman to trouble shooting problems that they may not even have solutions.

To us, reliability and time are most important. We want a simple, user friendly and reliable washer to clean clothes and save our time, nothing more, nothing less. So far Speed Queen has met our expectations.

Original Author
    10 years ago

From everything I'm reading, Speed Queen seems the way to go. Has everyone bought them at a local dealer, or ordered online? The dealer I went to had only one model on the floor (The AWN 412) , everything else was special order. I've never ordered any applicances online.

• beaglenc
    10 years ago

linnea, I bought mine from Appliance World and the 542 and matching gas dryer had to be ordered. It took about 2 weeks to get them. Am glad I went with the 542 with all the options. Don't think you could make a better choice. If you haven't already, you can go to the Speed Queen web site, there is a link to find a dealer.

Original Author
    10 years ago

I ordered the simpler model Speed Queen from a local dealer. Even the 412 has more options than my old machine. Their delivery and installation are really low, too, so getting the SQ only cost me about $ 180 more then the GE TL I was looking at.

When I told my husband about the 3 year SQ warranty, he paused a second, and said, “I guess they’re not planning on having to fix them, then.”

• azmom
    10 years ago

Congratulations for getting a great washer! You made a right choice.

• carree
    10 years ago

Love my speed queen. No drama, just does its thing. Feels like a tank. You will be pleased.

• missybear2
    9 years ago

If you plan on living more than 3 years then don't buy an LG. We bought a top load 3 years ago and last week it fell apart, the top flew off, the drum ripped off and broke the supports and plastic brackets and actually put a hole in the wall. LG won't replace it instead they are going to repair it?!!!!! See picture. this is what met me at my laundry room door after loud crash.
    After reading numerous reviews by actual owners we're cutting our losses and buying a Speed Queen, made in the USA and not out of plastic.

Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm sorry about your LG!

I see my old thread “woke up”. We bought our basic model Speed Queen a year ago this week. Very happy with it so far. Our use as empty nesters is light, though. When our daughter comes home from college she stuffs it and it manages just fine. Slightly louder than we were used to (might be the stainless drum), but all that means is we just don’t do laundry in the adjacent laundry room while we eat dinner. Cleans well. I like being able to do a long soak like I have always done, when washing really filthy things, to let the detergent have a chance to work.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

There was a recall on that washer, did you ever have it done?

I think there was a misunderstanding somewhere, that machine looks like it would cost LG more to repair than to replace.

That said you can't go wrong with a new SQ.

• triedandtrue
    9 years ago

Also recommend Speed Queen. The last quality top loaders left.

• josmyth
    8 years ago

I came here looking for a no frills washer recommendation and see the LG washer that is sending me over the edge. I can't wait for mine to break so I don't have to feel guilty about dumping an $800 piece of garbage. I am going to dream about my future Speed Queen. :)

• User
    8 years ago

Bought a Speed Queen on 3/31/15 and love it. We have seen no difference with the water bill either. Pretty quiet compared to the GE Adora we had that at 2 1/2 years the bearing went out.

• beanish
    8 years ago

We are going to get rid of our LG (HE) top loader (which had the highest ratings on Consumer Reports) after only a year and a half. Our loathing for this machine runs as deep as the tub which requires that I stand on a stool and use tongs to get the laundry out -- at 5'4" height I can't reach. We have had two floods from this machine, can't face another one. Can't wash small loads, can't wash waterproof items (mattress pads, certain athletic clothes etc.,) -- sticker on the front of machine warns against this in big bold letters. Machine is constantly out of balance, although we have checked leveling many times. It adds more water to try to balance -- this can go on for literally hours, until the entire behemoth of a machine is filled to the brim. So much for water saving. Just try washing a couple of cotton bath mats, forget it. To get through a load of laundry requires constant vigilance and fussiness about how it is loaded, what's in the mix, checking back to make sure it is not out of balance. By the time a load finally succeeds in actually completing the cycle, and the machine is singing its cheery little "I'm done now" tune, we are in a blacker mood than the dirty laundry we started with. So, we are done now, and looking for an old-fashioned machine, possibly Speed Queen.

Original Author
    8 years ago

Very vivid description! I'm happy with my Speed Queen, 1 1/2 years later. My husband had sticker shock when I told him the price, but when I told him the prices on other models, less so. I do a lot of soaking and washing of weirdly stained items, it works well.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Beanish.....there are no new machines on the market that function like the older traditional top loaders, government regulations put a stop to that..if you really want an old fashioned washer, go on craigs list, used appliance stores ect and you will find one cheap..some have ran for 30 years and may run another 30. I like old fashioned machines, the water fills up the whole way not like the new ones that offer large capacity washing but fill half way, if you want hot water, that's what you get, the new ones give you luke warm even though you choose hot. If you really want an old fashioned top loader, hunt around they are out there. And well worth the hunt. Besides if you really want that old fashioned machine, you probably won't be happy with a new machine.

• User
    8 years ago

Beanish go on YouTube and watch Speed Queen videos. I have the 432 and love it. It is about as old fashioned as you can find. I spent weeks researching before i bought mine to make sure that is what i really wanted. There are a few things some people hate such as the fact it doesn't spin the clothes almost dry. You need to make sure if you get one that you can live with something like that.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Ah, maylingsmom, exactly how undry are the clothes...and last time I checked speed queens didn't fill full any longer, was I miss informed

• User
    8 years ago

Mine fills to the 3rd hole below the top. I purchased it on 3/31 and it was built in Feb. of this year. I have the 432 which has the "dial" on it.

• User
    8 years ago

And my machine has the reset that lets you add more water.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Does the lid lock? Does it have true hot wash or tempered with cold? Thank you

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

How wet are the clothes after the spin?

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Guess I should ask what's the dpins rpm

• User
    8 years ago

No lid lock and true hot wash. I don't know how to explain about the spin. It is like my old Maytag but not like the GE we had to get rid of. Maximum rpm for spin is 710. I sometimes spin it twice.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Maylingsmom, thank you for the site, but how in the world do I get a price idea? 710 spin speed is dang good for a top load traditional.

• User
    8 years ago

Somewhere on the site, I believe you can plug in your zip code and find a dealer. We paid around $800. I didn't feel bad about that because we had paid around $500 for the Adora that lasted 2 1/2 years.

• josmyth
    8 years ago

Beanish, thanks for the laugh. You have stated my feelings on the LG HG top loader perfectly! I can't wait to purchase my speed queen next month and donate my HG to Goodwill.

• beanish
    8 years ago

Thanks, Josmyth -- which Speed Queen do you plan to get? Have you seen the videos of LG top loaders spinning out of control and turning into rockets in your laundry room? I am thinking it would be very satisfying to take our LG somewhere we could let it rip itself to shreds ... we'll sell tickets. Maybe Mythbusters would be interested in doing an episode on that.

• User
    8 years ago

mamap - when I click on the link I posted I can see over on the right side next to the words that say top load washer the words where to buy. Put your zip code there.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Maylingsmom, thank you I found the info and somehow I thought speed queen cost much more than they do..I feel good about the price thank you much

• josmyth
    8 years ago

Yes, I have seen the videos and I was hoping my LG would blow up so I don't have to feel guilty about getting rid of it. I had a load run for 3 hrs today! So much for high efficiency. What I want to know is who is paying off Consumer Reports? How is this machine highly rated? I am planning to purchase the no frills SQ, the one with the dial. I think it is the same one MaylingsMom got. I will update next month when I get it.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!