Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
renorman_gw

Pick a washer/dryer for me!

renorman
12 years ago

My eyes are crossing from reading about all the wash and spin cycles. I am thinking Electrolux because I have the following needs:

-VERY VERY busy family of 6-we all go through several changes of clothes a day.

-I like their "quick"cycle, 15 minutes for a small load, that would be great when I

forget an uniform.

-Steam, do I need that, want that? Sounds cool anyway!

-I do 2-4 large loads everyday, this thing has to work!

-Largest drum I can find!

Is there anything else I should look at? Just tell me what to buy! I am so overwhelmed! Thanks!

Comments (4)

• MrDumas
    12 years ago

Hi! 15 minutes for a quick cycle sounds great. What's the estimated time for a quick dry on the dryer?

I have a front-loader and a dryer, both with steam, from LG. Although I could live without the steam, I was using it (on my dryer) for dress shirts and it was great while the steam function worked (whole long thing about it on another post). You might like it for your uniform. Then you don't even need to add in drying time as you wouldn't have needed to wash it in the first place.

I had no problems the first year. Clothes got cleaned and I had no maintenance issues. (I still like my old top-load washer better. I run martial arts uniforms through my front loader and the ground-in dirt stays really ground in, unlike in my old top-loader where at least, it was less ground in. I do save a lot in water, though.)

However, during the second year of use, the drain pump on the washer broke and my steam functions on my dryer stopped working correctly. Service guys have been out multiple times since November and still haven't isolated the dryer's problem.

I'm glad I have the extended warranty, that's for sure! I don't think I'd buy anymore LG washer/dryer machines considering my track record with this first set. I was expecting to have to replace the control board in 5-7 years (the expected lifetime according to the sales guy), but these problems I'm having now at 1-2 years old are ridiculous. They've been a disappointment regarding their reliability.

Good luck with your W/D hunt!

Here is a link that might be useful: LG FL Dryer Steam Cycle Lengths?

• kjente
    12 years ago

We bought the electrolux 60 and took delivery the week after Christmas. We've done heavy loads and light loads and enjoyed watching them go by. I've read this forum for years, when we redid our kitchen; bought the last washer, redid the bathrooms...brilliant people. After reading and watching you tube videos, reading appliance advisor I was sold on Electrolux. We went to a working showroom and watched them run. I hope you'll find a choice you're comfortable with and will enjoy whatever you decide on.

• sandy1616
    12 years ago

I'm guessing FL for capacity. What is your budget? How important is temperature to you? Any space restrictions? Need stackable?

• renorman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sandy16-I don't have any space restrictions and they do not need to be stackable. As for budget, with 4 kids and a busy life style I feel like I need to spend whatever it takes to get the best that I can. Not sure about temperature? Any suggestions?

MrDumas-I think the drying time is 14 minutes. A huge time saver for those forgotten items!

Kjente-Thanks for your feedback. Sounds positive!