Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doingthelaundry

Stain Treat Option on new Kenmore TL not working?

doingthelaundry
11 years ago

Hi,

I am hoping someone can assist me with this problem. I recently purchased a Kenmore TL HE washer (#29478, a floor model). The washer is an improvement from my old traditional TL with an agitator. However, I am having a problem. When I select "stain treat" on the washer, the wash temp defaults to "cold/cold" (it is an lcd-only model, no other controls, so the option automatically updates). According to my manual, when this option (stain treat) is selected, the water should start at warm and gradually increase to a higher temp. I have done two loads with stain treat, cold water on both.

FYI, I have used other cycles with hot and warm (and extra hot) water with no issues. So, the issue is not my water heater.

Is it possible that the "computer" on this unit is defective? Or could it be a problem with the washer's internal heater?

I am still within the initial return period for Sears, so I am able to return the washer, if necessary. However, I really like it so far (the stain treat option dysfunction notwithstanding). The washer does not have the balance issue like the simialr recalled models (it stops itself).

Please advise. I will call Sears soon, but wanted to get opinions prior to calling. Thank you.

Comments (6)

• dadoes
    11 years ago

If the machine has an on-board water heating element, then it may purposely start a Stain Treat cycle with a cool initial fill and gradually heat through to end of the wash period. This is known as a profile wash ... some types of stains respond better to cooler water so as not to be heat-set, and other stains shift as the water temp increases. A profile wash deals with them all.

You can confirm this by running a Stain Treat cycle and checking the water temp at end of the wash period rather than at the beginning during the fill.

• doingthelaundry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for responding. This washer has an internal heater. I also thought the washer would gradually heat the water, so I actually checked the temperature throughout both loads (for which I used the stain treat option). Both loads were very cold throughout. There was no increase in temperature. Checked at the end of the wash as well-- COLD.

According to my manual, the washer should begin at warm. Unfortunately, this is not the case and the water temp never increases. Here is a photo of what I am referring to with the temp. on the washer defaulting to cold/cold when stain treat is selected:

• whirlpool_trainee
    11 years ago

Sounds like a glitch on this LG-made Kenmore. I can hardly imagine this washer will fill with all-cold water and then bring it up to a proper temperature using its relatively weak heater in any reasonable amount of time.

Alex

• doingthelaundry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I called Sears and scheduled a visit from a tech in a couple of days. I hope they are able to resolve this issue. Wonder what the fix, if any, will be. Seems like a software issue to me...

• doingthelaundry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Update: Sears tech showed up, tested the machine and its heater. I was told there is nothing wrong with it. The tech said that while he tested it, the water temp went up 7 degrees (from about 54 deg. to 61 deg.). He also said the manual did not specify a tempurature, only a "gradual increase." He said 7 degrees was an increase; therefore, the machine works!

Anyway, here is my dilemma: Should I return it, or keep it? I purchased it for $670 from Sears (floor model), and I like it so far. I'm annoyed about the stain treat option not working properly, but I could live without it. I'm wondering if maybe I should have opted for a front loader.

Any thoughts?

• mrb627
    11 years ago

I would say that if you feel you didn't get what you paid for or that you have been misled by the salesperson, return it!

MRB

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio