Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
armywife1996

My new Electrolux FL W&D

armywife1996
14 years ago

We took the plunge and bought the new Electrolux Wave Touch front loading washer and dryer, both of which are steam. Bought at Sears in the Silver Sands color. Delivery and installation went just fine.

I have had the machines for 4 days now and have used them each day. I am washing pretty much everything I can get my hands on! Clothes, pillows, sleeping bags, duvets, dog beds.... :-) The capacity is just amazing. Our king sized down alternative duvet fit with plenty of room to spare!

I am really enjoying doing laundry (whodathunk I'd ever 'enjoy' laundry?? lol). Everything is getting so clean and fresh and the machines are just so much fun to use! I love how I can customize each load to my liking but I also like how the machine has chosen the 'optimal' settings for those times when I just don't want to think.

I'm not sure yet on my opinion on the steam feature. I have selected it in the washing machine but haven't "seen" it work (the manual says you may not be able to actually see the steam coming out)and really can't tell the difference between the cleanliness of loads that I have used it in opposed to those that I haven't. Everything appears to be coming out equally clean regardless of the settings. I haven't used the steam setting in the dryer yet.

The washing machine is quiet as can be during washing. The spin cycle gets just a bit noisy. The dryer is also a bit louder than I would have thought it to be. There is a high pitch kind of 'whine' to the dryer that I find just a bit annoying but I'm also very sensitive to high pitch sounds. I'm not sure if the noises are 'normal' or if it's just my machine--not really sure how that can be determined either.

I want to switch my doors around but each door is like 4 pages of instructions to switch them and my husband isn't mechanically inclined and I'm just not willing to spend the time to do it yet. It is a bit of a pain to manuever the laundry from the washer to the dryer with the doors opening into each other. I'm sure I will switch them soon.

Finally, these machines are HEAVY. I'm still trying to figure out how I will retrieve any thing that may fall behind the machines or clean behind them if my husband is ever gone and can't help me move them! LOL

All in all, I'm VERY happy with this purchase. I will update after I've been using it longer and am happy to answer any questions.

Comments (14)

• jeri
    14 years ago

Thanks for the update ArmyWife! We are seriously considering the Wave Touch as well. I wonder if anyone else with these machines will comment on the whine in the dryerÂ

The reversible door swing is the reason we started looking at these machines in the first place, but I have since decided that is probably not a big deal. Do you put a basket below the washer? From reading posts on this forum, I get the feeling that it is a good idea to shake things out a bit before putting them into the dryer. So, my thought is to Pull an item from washer, Shake it out a bit, Drop in basket, Slide basket over, Fill dryer. Not that I have done this yet as my current setup is different. But the new house will have this issue.

Also  doesnÂt the WaveTouch machines go all the way to the back wall? No gap? This was another of the many reasons we like these machines.

• armywife1996
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Jeri,
    Yes, I wonder too about the whine of the dryer... hopefully someone will chime in with their experience.

The doors not being switched is really pretty annoying. The laundry basket I use is a bit too large and in order to make it more convenient to unload the clothes into the basket before putting them in the dryer I would want to be able to close the doors over the basket or be able to slide the basket over under the doors and, because of the height of my basket (and lack of pedestals) I am not able to get the clearance. I would have to lift the basket out of the way to close and open the doors. Now that the kiddo is back to school after the holiday season, I will be taking some time to switch the doors I think.

I haven't shaken any of the clothes out prior to putting them in the dryer and the only issue I had was with the king sized duvet-- I had to take it out and then shift it around a little and throw it back in the dryer for a bit to get it completely dry. But everything else, from jeans to heavy sweatshirts, all come out dry without shaking. Heck, the clothes are so well spun out that there isn't much to shake. :-) Also, the machine has that feature where the dryer barrel turns both directions so that helps clothes from getting all wadded up.
    We have a gap behind our machines that is pretty similar to what we had with our old top loader set. With the dryer vent hose and the hoses for the washing machine, I'm not sure how flush against the wall it would be possible to get.

• jeri
    14 years ago

Hi ArmyWife :-)

These machines have a deep "lip" (for lack of a better word) on the top back of the units. I believe this is for the sole purpose of installing these units flush to the wall. I believe that Electrolux is the only machine that has this. I believe that the hoses should be able to fit in the space provided by this lip  perhaps with a bit of tweaking? But this is one of the many reasons we are leaning toward these units. I plan on putting my catÂs food and water dishes on these and I donÂt want anything falling behind! :-)

Good luck with the door switch  we will be doing the same thing eventually. :-)

• armywife1996
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jeri, I don't think the lip you are talking about is for installing the unit flush to the wall. It's really not that deep--I measure about an inch and a half. Plus, the only lip I have is on my washing machine and, the way it appears to me, it's for the purpose of installing the machines on top of one another. The dryer has no lip at all, the top edge of the machine is flush with the back and with the venting on the back of the machine (not referring to the hose, but the holes on the back of the machine) I wouldn't want to put it flush against the wall even if I could... which I really just don't think is possible no matter how much tweaking you do.

• jeri
    14 years ago

ArmyWife - Check out this Consumer Reports Blog Titled "How to keep laundry from getting lost"

You say your dryer doesn't have the lip??? I'm going to have to stop at Best Buy and check it out. I was really looking forward to this feature...

• armywife1996
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Small Update:

Yesterday I had my first service call. :-( I was doing laundry on Sunday and, while drying a small load of sweaters on the knit setting, I heard a loud clunk and went to see what happened. The drum was no longer spinning. Seeing as how I have had this machine all of 19 days I was a bit upset.

Sears, after us personally visiting the store and harassing the manager [who was very helpful] because initially on the phone the service department said it would take 2 weeks to get the dryer serviced, came out yesterday (Tuesday).

The tech had to take apart the entire machine (removing the top panel, front panel and drum) to get to the inside. There he found that, instead of the broken belt we thought we would find, the idler pulley clip fell off which resulted in a loss of tension of the belt.

The tech replaced the clip and all is well again in laundry land.

• jeri
    14 years ago

ArmyWife - did this have anything to do with the whine you had been hearing???

• lip2000
    14 years ago

Not a good sign for a new machine. Seems to be a few people complaining about Electrolux washers and dryers.

• armywife1996
    Original Author
    14 years ago

@ jeri: I don't think so. I can still hear the high pitched noise when the dryer is spinning. I think it's the normal sound. I asked the tech about it and he said it sounds like a normal front loader to him. I guess I'm just super sensitive?

The tech said he thought that the clip was just not put on well enough at the factory.

I still LOVE the machines. I'll post with any other issues that might pop up though. (knocking on wood I don't! lol)

• cynic
    14 years ago

A clip being replaced is not a good sign? LOL C'mon. That's a small thing and certainly doesn't speak badly toward a machine. It may well not have been put on properly or it could be it didn't have adequate tension or it could be transport vibration worked it loose. Who knows? Frustrating to have a new machine have a problem but far better it's something simple than something major. Even those who worship the big "M" brand are seeing a number of people reporting problems. So if the same standard is applied, that's not a good sign for Miele!

• lip2000
    14 years ago

Sorry but :
    "The tech had to take apart the entire machine (removing the top panel, front panel and drum) to get to the inside. There he found that, instead of the broken belt we thought we would find, the idler pulley clip fell off which resulted in a loss of tension of the belt. "

is not a good sign. This combined with the other complaints about the Electrolux washers is what I am talking about. The bad things I have read about Miele:
    1. In their normal cycle they do not turn on the heater to meet the energy efficiency guidelines(although there are 17 other programs to choose from...)
    2. When the machine was first released the latch on the washer would "sag" over time. A fix was released for this.
    3. There is a firmware upgrade for the dryer that Miele has released

I would say the same standard does apply. I own an Electrolux oven(love it!) and an induction top (don't really love it...bad bad bad design)...also own a panasonic MW, Kitchenaid fridge...thus, I'm not brand loyal but the Miele is in another class IMHO, although their price is as well...

• dadoes
    14 years ago

lip2000 said: Sorry but :
    "The tech had to take apart the entire machine (removing the top panel, front panel and drum) to get to the inside. There he found that, instead of the broken belt we thought we would find, the idler pulley clip fell off which resulted in a loss of tension of the belt. "

is not a good sign.
    That is how many dryers are disassembled for access to the belt and idler. I don't find it alarming at all.

• cynic
    14 years ago

You might find it alarming if you're trying to prejudice a view and hype your favorite brand! LOL

• armywife1996
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A year later and still in love (although the novelty of the machines has worn a bit and laundry has become a chore again! LOL).

Have had no further issues with the machines since the belt clip.

Two thumbs up!! :)