Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jcrowley99_gw

Questions for owners of Bosch Nexxt 500 Series washers

jcrowley99
17 years ago

I am buying a new washer and have narrowed my list to three machines. This is one of the machines that I really liked. I have also posted questions for owners of the other two machines. I was hoping some Bosch owners would be willing to help me. I have been to the Bosch website, talked to dealers, and read the manual, but I think actual input from owners would be the most important factor in finding a great machine. So, these are my questions:

1. Are you happy with your machine?

2. Do you feel it cleans and rinses well?

3. Have you had any problems with vibrating or shaking? (I am installing in a first floor laundry room, main support for house, steel I-beam, runs under the room.)

4. What are the actual wash times like?

5.Does the machine have a heavy duty cycle? or what do you use to wash towels and bedding?

6. In the manual step one in useing the machine said to turn on the taps. Do you turn your taps on and off at each use?

7. If you could change anything about the machine what would it be?

If there is any other info you think is important to know, please tell me! Thank you so much for your help in answering any of these questions. I will value any input.

Jo

Comments (50)

• dross
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Jo, I see you are also considering the Ge Adora and Whirlpool Duet. These are all fine machines, with the Bosch and Whirlpool 1st tier and the GE a step down. The big advantage of the Bosch is the ability to do a profile wash, something no other large-drum machine currently on the market can do. It also uses the heater in every cycle to maintain washer temperature, a rarity in these machines. The Duet has the advantage of a wider service network and a better cycle selection, and has a bit less plastic in the construction. - DR

• jcrowley99
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Dross

What is a profile wash? I don't believe I have heard this term before.I have to say that I love the heater on the Bosch. I have Auto temp control on my old kenmore top loader and I use it for every load. They appear to have gotten rid of this option on the kenmore toploaders, what a pity.

• dross
    17 years ago

What is a profile wash?

A profile wash is where water is introduced cold into the machine, and then heated gradually in the drum to operating temperature. The idea is that the enzymes in the detergent can then operate at an optimum temperature, and cleaning can take place before stains get set. This works very well not only on stains, but on general washing. Many of the best European machines come in 'cold fill only' versions, both to force a profile wash, and to save energy (heating water at the point of use is generally more efficient than heating at a distance then transporting the water).

Among the large-drum FLs sold in the US, a couple (like the Duets with heater) will do a profile wash in special stain-treat cycles, or can be 'tricked' into it by switching midcycle from cold to warm or hot, but usually this is limited to a few cycles. The Bosch machines have a button-controlled option which will turn any heated cycle (except quick-wash) into a profile wash, and they also introduce deliberate steps in the heating to 'profile' the wash even further. Why other manufacturers haven't done something similar is a bit of a mystery, though it does take careful engineering to make it actually work on a 110V electrical circuit, and cycles become 45 minutes or more longer when you choose the option.

BTW, many TLs (and unheated FLs) have a thing called "Automatic Temperature Control" (ATC), but this should be avoided like the plague. The reason is that it makes a truly hot wash impossible - even if you have your hot water heater cranked up to 140F, and there is no heat loss along the pipe to the washing machine, ATC-equipped machines will intentionally add cold water to ensure that the temperature is below a certain set level, often 120F. In a FL machine the actual temp will then become even less, as the relatively small amount of water will cool rapidly in the tub. - DR
    - DR

• garoj
    17 years ago

We've had our Nexxt 500 for about five months. We like them but don't love them and wish we'd sprung for the Miele -- or just a cheaper frontloader and bought an extended warranty. They clean well enough, but not a marked, noticeable improvement over our old top loader. The spin is simply load and despite being on tile/concrete the washer moves. We've had a valve problem (water leaking) that I haven't gotten fixed yet. A piece of plastic just dropped off the dryer the other day and we are getting it fixed this week, I hope. The dryer door is out of alignment.

Wash cycle is almost always 60 minutes. Dryer is fast (don't be fooled by initial numbers that appear on the readout). For towels, the extra hot cycle.

• careers4u
    17 years ago

We just had our new 500 series pair delivered yesterday after much research and debate. They look great but the dryer doesn't work. Delivery people think that when they moved the vent to exhaust on the right they forgot to hook something up. We'll see on Monday.

As for the washer, it seems to work great. I've only done two loads (since I have to hang the clothes to dry) and only darks, but they look good.

We installed vibration pads under the feet of the washer and dryer. They were purchased from airloc.com for $30/set of four. I can see the machine move a bit during the spin cycle but can't feel a thing. They are installed on the second floor of our house on a wood floor.

Good luck with your choice!

• User
    17 years ago

1. Are you happy with your machine? YES, YES, YES!!!
    2. Do you feel it cleans and rinses well? Even when my DH overdoses it with deteregent (using the same amount he would have for the old top loader), I can't smell the deteregent after the cycle, so rinsing is very good. I've gotten some old stains out of clothes that I thought were headed for the scrap heap - very please with cleaning.
    3. Have you had any problems with vibrating or shaking? (I am installing in a first floor laundry room, main support for house, steel I-beam, runs under the room.) No, but make sure they are levelled very well and the feet locked. The jokers that come so set the machines up rarely know what they are doing with regard to leveling.
    4. What are the actual wash times like? Typical wash is about an hour. Extrasanitary can be as long as 3 hours on a really heavy load.
    5.Does the machine have a heavy duty cycle? or what do you use to wash towels and bedding? I'm not sure what you mean by "heavy duty." Mine has a button labeled "heavy duty" that causes it to do a profile wash (start out cold and gradually heat to hot to remove stains), but I only use this for badly stained items. Bedding, towels, underwear, socks get the "extrasanitary" cycle that heats to 170 degrees.
    6. In the manual step one in useing the machine said to turn on the taps. Do you turn your taps on and off at each use? No, but if your water pressure is really high it might be a good idea. I do turn off the taps when we leave for a few days, just to be on the safe side - any washer you purchase will have the same instructions to turn off the taps.
    7. If you could change anything about the machine what would it be? 220 Amps instead of 110 so the heater would be faster.

• becks_garden
    17 years ago

I spent several months driving myself insane and haunting this forum before I finally made a decision. We went with the Bosch Nexxt 500 from Lowes. Two ten percent offs, free pick up and delivery and a $110 energy rebate made it an easier decision. I am thrilled and this machine gets my clothing sooo much cleaner than my rusty Calypso. The big test was when I washed my white heavy cotton slipcovers. I purposely didn't pre-treat or do anything different and the difference is amazing. Who knows if I would have been better off with any other machine but so far no problems with this one. No vibrating, no loose parts ...

• wblynch
    17 years ago

We are very happy with our Nexxt 500. We've had the set for about 5 months now and wash 6-10 loads per week.

The washer doesn't vibrate too much but I made sure to level it very well. Our set is in the garage on a concrete slab floor.

The washer works great and cycles average from 325 minutes for a quick wash to over 2 hours for an Extra Sanitary heated wash with bleach.

The washer is also very gentle on the clothes leaving new clothes looking new for months. Where my Dockers and Levis always looked "broke in" after 2 or 3 washes, with the new machine I have some Dockers that are 5 months old that still look sharp and new. No color fade or fabric wear.

It runs quiet and uses a lot less water, electricity and detergent than before. I measured our electric, gas and water bills and we're definitely saving money.

The machines are fun to use and now I even help out with the wash.

The dryer is no big deal. It works fine but not any better than the old Whirlpool it replaced. But style is important and they needed to match ;)

We do not turn the water taps on and off. Just leave them on all the time.

I should add the whites are now bright, crispy, clean white.

I like the internal heater because it kills the dust mites in the bed linens and makes it easier to sleep not thinking about little creatures gnawing away on my toes all night.

• wblynch
    17 years ago

'The washer works great and cycles average from 325 minutes for a quick wash...'

Er, 325 minutes should read 25 minutes.

• dr_jimbob
    17 years ago

Heck, yeah!

Heck, yeah!

3. Have you had any problems with vibrating or shaking? (I am installing in a first floor laundry room, main support for house, steel I-beam, runs under the room.)

Not so sure on this one -- we installed our set in our basement, I typically load it, then head upstairs while it's running. I don't hear knocking noises, though I do hear the beep when it's done with the cycle, so I don't think vibrations are an issue.

So far (we've owned ours for about a month) I've only ever used the cotton cycles, which run 1 hr to wash clothes. DW has used the wool setting, which takes 33 minutes and has done a wonderful job with wool sweaters that we used to have to take to the dry cleaners.

Drying times: 40 mins leaves it damp, 65 mins leaves it pretty dry (others on this forum have complained that Bosch dryers leave clothes "euro-dry" which is fancy-talk for damp, I haven't seen it myself).

5.Does the machine have a heavy duty cycle? or what do you use to wash towels and bedding?

There is an XXTRA Sanitary cycle which runs 170 F water for 3 mins, and 150 F for the rest of the cycle to kill of buggies. We haven't used it yet.

6. In the manual step one in useing the machine said to turn on the taps. Do you turn your taps on and off at each use?

Nope.

We love our Bosch machines, and would definitely buy them again if we had to do over.

Hope that helps.

• stever500
    17 years ago

I love ours. Got it 2 months ago. My wife doesn't like it as all her clothes are wrinkled beyond belief. I'm sure we don't know how to use it, and have read the manual like 6 times. I love watching the washer. It's really amazing seeing it do it's thing, and I have no idea what's really going on, but it's cool.

Our white pair look amazing in our mud room. I just use the most basic buttons like extra hot on the dryer, and hot on the washer. We are low enders when it comes to figuring stuff out and could care less if it cleans our clothes amazingly perfect. I don't understand what profile washes are or why I should use the delicate cycle. We just stuff clothes in and watch it go.

I get a kick out of the posts on this forum. You guys know so much and so knowledgeable. I've read so many posts but still have no idea what we're doing. It's fun for me, trial and error rules.

We use Tide HE liquid and haven't tried anything else. We bought them because we were bored with our 20 y.o. top loader. I adore our 500 and hope you do too.

Peace out,
    Steve R
    Silver Spring MD

• nancita
    17 years ago

This is the washer I want. But, not stackable! Any suggestions for a comparable Bosh that stacks?

• bsh_chris
    17 years ago

If you are still having trouble trying to decide I can help if you'd like also. I'm the Product Manager for laundry products here at Bosch (BSH Home Appliances) and I'd be happy to help if I can.

P.S. Did any of you Current Bosch 500 owners pick up the Jan. issue of Consumer Reports??

• clb0817
    17 years ago

Jo,
    Just wondering if you've made your decision! I'm in the same boat as you right now. Seems like everyone loves the w/d they picked!
    Thanks,
    Carrie

• sugar_and_spice
    17 years ago

I'm dying to know if you made a decision as well because I am also in the same boat.

bsh chris.............the suspense is killing me, what did the consumer report say ?

• wblynch
    17 years ago

For items prone to wrinkling we select the reduced spin speed and it helps cut down the wrinkling at the expense of wetter clothes.

• jcrowley99
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Everyone! Thank you all so much for your input, you have all been wonderful! I have not made my purchase yet but I have reached a decision. After much research, all of your help, and a side by side comparison of all three machines I was considering....the Bosch Nexxt 500 wins! It has the settings that I need, appears to be very well built, and everyone seems to really like theirs.

I really liked the way the drum is angled, the eight inch pedestal that is available (any taller and I could not reach the outlet or valves), how sturdy the door is, and that the door latch is metal and not plastic. The gentleman who was answering questions for me at Lowes finally admitted that they had already replaced the door handle on the Whirlpool 9400 because it broke off. I was not at all impressed with the GE machine when I saw it next to the other two. I felt like a less expensive machine when I was playing with it.

So to sum this up, I really like the Bosch and plan to buy it. Might be soon because my old TL tore a sweater & skirt and mangled a pair of dress pants today. Thank you again to everyone who helped me reach this decision, your help has been invaluable.

Jo

• dross
    17 years ago

Did any of you Current Bosch 500 owners pick up the Jan. issue of Consumer Reports??

I thought this issue was deemed unsafe and recalled. - DR

• jcrowley99
    Original Author
    17 years ago

bsh_chris

The CR quick pick rating is great for you guys, a lot of people rely on those ratings. I only find about half of the things they rate highly as good as they claim, I sure hope this washer will be added to the great purchase list!

If you are willing to help us, it would be great to know how flexible the settings are for the cycles. Can I change temp. and spin in all cycles? How flexible are the delicate and hand wash cycle? I tend to use these cycles quite a lot. Thank you for offering your expert help!

Jo

• wblynch
    17 years ago

On the Nexxt 500 the only temperature option to the chosen cycle would be to select the Heavy Duty (profile wash) modifier.

I don't even know if it allows a different temperature or just uses a program to gradually get to the target temperature.

For Cotton and Permanent press cycles you can choose Cold/Warm/Hot and Temp Boost for the Cottons.

You can select the XXSanitary cycle which I think gives you the hottest wash but it is a distinct cycle.

I think all other cycles are fixed temperature according to the machine's program.

Other modifiers you can select are Extra Rinse, and the Bleach option.

You can select different Spin speeds.

Other than that I don't remember any modifier for the temperature.

Chris will certainly know better than I.

• wblynch
    17 years ago

Here are the cycles and temperatures from the Bosch NExxt 500:

Cycle..................Temp *F

Cotton/Cold............... 60
    Cotton/Warm............. 95
    Cotton/Hot................125
    Cotton/Temp Boost....150

Perm Press/Cold........ 60
    Perm Press/Warm...... 95
    Perm Press/Hot.........125

Quick Mix (25min).... 95
    Active Wear.............. 85
    Delicates................... 90
    Hand Wash............... 75
    Wool........................ 80
    XX Sanitary.............155

• barbjw
    17 years ago

Where does one find the serial and fd numbers on these machines?

• jcrowley99
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I just thought of something the other day that I have read about but not really considered. Lint! Can anyone tell me how well this machine handles lint? Is there a filter that needs to be cleaned? The manual says no, but I was reading a posting on anouther machine that says there is no filter, but there actually is. Has anyone had a problem with this with the Bosch? Is this something I do not need to be concerned with?
    Thank you.

Jo

• just_chris
    17 years ago

Bosch 500 owner:

1. Are you happy with your machine? YES

2. Do you feel it cleans and rinses well? We always us ethe extra rince cycle - we seem to keep using too much detergent these days - old TL habit maybe...

3. Have you had any problems with vibrating or shaking? (I am installing in a first floor laundry room, main support for house, steel I-beam, runs under the room.) Yes - 2nd floor install - I built a platform 8" high and everything is great!

Reg cottons:
    Cold - 56min
    Warm - 60min
    Hot - 66min

Perm Press
    Cold - 46
    warm - 52min

Hand wash, wools, delicates
    All under 40min

Quick wash - 25 mins

XXtra sanitarty - depends on load size - 2hrs. or more
    Heavy Duty - never used but want to try the profile wash

5.Does the machine have a heavy duty cycle? or what do you use to wash towels and bedding? XXtra Sanitary Always!

6. In the manual step one in useing the machine said to turn on the taps. Do you turn your taps on and off at each use? No. Tough I would if I was going away for a few days.

Washer
    a. Drum to tilt back more so kids socks don't get stuck in the front rubber seal drain area. You have to put them in a washable bag sent with machine - we bought a larger one to put other things in as well like DW bras with wires, etc.)

b. long sleeves and pant leags tend to get tangled - seems like a design change would help this.

c. When spinning it seems to hunt alot for various balance conditions - I've watched it and seen it pass up what looks like a perfectly balanced spin, only to stop and start over again spinning. Don't understand that.

Dryer:
    a. wish you could disable the wrinikle free action - at night when we start up the dryer, it goes through the drying cycle, then for the next hour it falls into the wrinkle guard time. No real need if your sleeping.

b. Larger lint trap opening - when we pull out the lint tray - we would like to vacuum out below the tray but the opening is too small for our vac attachment to reach. Lint will eventually collect on the sensor - how to clean?

Other than these little things - We love the set and would buy again. Trying the new Dish Washer now (SHE66) - sent the Miele Optima back for refund - it just didn't work out for us. The Bosch is Great so far!!

• bsh_chris
    17 years ago

Can't say it much better than the above. Would only add that for "heavy duty" we have a "Heavy duty" option. It starts with a cold fill and does a complete profile wash to remove every variety of stains.

For the Serial and F/D numbers check the sticker in side teh door on the left right next to the hinge.

Hope this helps.

• just_chris
    17 years ago

bsh_chris - Anything you can suggest for these small issues? Thanks!

Washer
    a. Drum to tilt back more so kids socks don't get stuck in the front rubber seal drain area. You have to put them in a washable bag sent with machine - we bought a larger one to put other things in as well like DW bras with wires, etc.)

b. long sleeves and pant leags tend to get tangled - seems like a design change would help this.

c. When spinning it seems to hunt alot for various balance conditions - I've watched it and seen it pass up what looks like a perfectly balanced spin, only to stop and start over again spinning. Don't understand that.

• dross
    17 years ago

Drum to tilt back more

This is not a good idea. Tilting the drum more increases tangling, reduces the ability to distribute/agitate the clothes evenly, and puts more stress on the bearings. 'True' h-axis machines are also generally much better behaved w/r to vibrations. - DR

• bsh_chris
    17 years ago

In response:

a. Drum to tilt back more so kids socks don't get stuck in the front rubber seal drain area.

Our drum actually tilts back a bit more than others to make access to clothes a bit easier. Tilting back further would cut into capacity, make vibratiob worse, and STILL may not solve small items issue. The shape of the paddles moves the items forward. This round and round PLUS back and forth action helps the machine clean clothes better. However, I can still pass this concern on to our engineers.

Actually I don't hear this complaint that much with our machine; and certiainly not more than any other front loader. One question: Does it seem to happen more often with a small ro full load?

c. When spinning it seems to hunt alot for various balance conditions - I've watched it and seen it pass up what looks like a perfectly balanced spin, only to stop and start over again spinning. Don't understand that

The hunting, though annoying if you're in a hurry, is actually very imoprtant. Given that the machine is readying to spin at up to 1200 rpm, even a small imbalance can lead to huge vibration. We have calibratedthe machine to be sensative to make sure to avoid excessive vibration. Sorry that it annoys you, but we also hope you enjoy high spin speed with out the machine walking into another room.

• jcrowley99
    Original Author
    17 years ago

bsh_chris

Can you help me with my lint question? Does the Nexxt 500 washer have a lint trap or filter of any kind? Will I need to clean it out? I could not find anything about this in the manual. If it does not have a lint trap, what happens to the lint? There seem to have been some problems caused by lint in other brands so I am curious. Does this work similar to a top loader with the lint, I have never owned a top loader with any kind of lint catcher and they never had any problems with lint.

Thankyou for your help.

Jo

• neetz
    17 years ago

We love ours and they've been workhorses, cleaning and drying much better (and much more energy-efficiently) than the ancient Kenmores they replaced. That being said, I also have a question for bsh_chris re: vibration, which has been an issue for us. Ours are installed on our first floor, on linoleum-topped hardwood on top of a crawlspace. We had our contractor reenforce the floor from the basement but we still have a washer that vibrates (shaking the entire room) and gradually inches around. Our service person has been out multiple times, claiming that this is "just the way Boschs are" and even calling his Bosch rep from my home. The advice from the rep after the 5th time the service guy called him? "Use double-sided tape on the bottom of the machine." I am NOT making this up. For obvious reasons, this hasn't helped much! So should I buy a vibration pad? I actually have gotten used to the vibrations in terms of noise, etc, but I am concerned about it affecting the machine's shocks and longevity....Thanks! - Neetz

• just_chris
    17 years ago

bsh_chris - thanks for your comments

The Q. concerning the spinning/hunting still makes me scratch my head. When I said it seems to hunt...I also said it passes up perfect balance points only to end up with one that is much more out of balance than one it passed up - perhaps because it is running out of clock.

I understand about the balance thing...that is why it seems so strange...why it would not spin out as soon as it finds a smooth and balanced chance to do it. I've watched it do this many time. In the final spin it will have a nicely balanced load spinning slow - drum not shifting back and forth - turning smoothly, only to stop and re-start and end up with a spin that is out of balance at slow speed and gets worse as it ramps up to higher speeds. I have even had to stop it a time or two and force it to stop and re-try. Confusing...

• Seasyde
    17 years ago

I have a few questions too. Am considering Bosch 500 or dlx and the Whirlpool Duet.

It looks like the 500 series offers a soak, but no rinse/spin whereas the DLX series offers a rinse/spin but no soak. Is there any way to get either of these machines to do both through a combinations of cycles/options?

It also appears that the 500 series & dlx series dryer are the same except for the color of the trim. Are there any functional differences?

Last question. I've got a queen size fiberfill comforter that I'd love to be able to wash at home. Any chance this would fit in the Bosch? If so, what cycle would I use? This last isn't a deal breaker, but it would sure be nice not to have to trek to the laundremat.

Thanks for all your help.

• wblynch
    17 years ago

Queen size should be no problem.

We are able to wash some of our King size comforters in it but some of them are too fluffy to fit.

• plumbly22
    17 years ago

I've had my Bosch 500 set since August 2006...

YES

Yes... but I always use the "extra rinse" setting due to children with allergies.... To be fair here, I've never run it without that ...

3. Have you had any problems with vibrating or shaking? (I am installing in a first floor laundry room, main support for house, steel I-beam, runs under the room.) ....

Not after fixing the balancing problem the installers did NOT take care of properly.... It is NOT an issue on the second floor of our house on a porcelain tiled floor....

This seems to vary greatly depending on many variables... it can be as short as 25 minutes and over 3 hours... it depends on what is in the load, soap you are using, temperatures, weight of the clothing in the tub, etc... on average... I'd say it's about 1 hour 15 minutes for most "normal" loads... heavy loads seem to take much longer (thick plush towels)

I wash towels and bedding either on the temp boost "regular" cycle or on the sanitizing cycle... there is a "heavy duty" button, which I believe adds a longer washing cycle prior to the first rinse cycle

I always do this and I always did this with my old machine... this is a cya thing for the manufactureres... IF your hoses rupture,... they don't want you coming back at them.... my washer is on the second floor of my house, almost above my formal foyer... I really don't want a water issue from the floor above due to ruptured hosing... so I just do this out of habit... once you're in the habit it's not big deal.... I think all washer manufacturers say to do this....

I've actually got a few from my using experience at this point...
    1, I think they could make the door on the washer with an option to hinge it either way... (can you tell it would suit my installation 'better' if it hinged the opposite way today?)
    2, if they made the plastic piece that just into the drum a bit more 'into' the drum then maybe small items wouldn't end up in the gasket (socks, undies in particular... and they don't wash as well in the small item bags.... they 'ball up' in those)
    3, when you open the door to add something the cycle seems to start over at the beginning (true for the dryer too) 4, there is a triangular shaped piece of plastic that hangs down onthe right upper side of the drum opening... which has ruined 2 pillows for my to date... when the machine goes into spin with larger items, the plastic piece onthe door that doesn't go quite far enough into the drum to keep stuff in the drum allows a bit of laundry (pillow in my cases) to stick out and get beat to crap while the spin is running, thus a hole in the pillow edge...

All the above said... I'd still buy these again without a second thought....

• wblynch
    17 years ago

Oh yeah, I forgot about that little triangle.

It broke off on our washer the first week when I washed some sofa pillows. I never got around to making that service call to get it replaced.

As it is the machine works great without it so I think I'll leave it off.

• Seasyde
    17 years ago

wblynch - thanks for the answer on the queen comforter. Now I need to decide between the 500 and the DLX.

• meg711
    17 years ago

Did anyone side-vent their Nexxt 500 dryer? Has it worked properly? If you did side-vent, how far from the back wall is your dryer? Thanks!

• elizabeth96
    16 years ago

Hi Jo,

How is the Bosch Nexxt 500 working for you now that it's a year later?

This thread has been very helpful for me now that I'm considering a new W/D. Something I'm concerned about is that there seems to be no way to override the Delicates and Hand Wash temperatures. I want to use cold, but the machine appears to be autoset to warm. That leaves me having to use Perm Press cold, which may be too rough on my clothes. For that reason, I may go with another machine. It would be a shame, because I've heard such great things about the Bosch.

Look forward to hearing how it's going with you.

Elizabeth

• User
    16 years ago

The delicate and hand-wash temps are barely even luke warm. I have washed all sorts of delicate fabrics on these cycles, including a very fine hand-tatted lace, with no problems.

• devilsdue
    16 years ago

I've heard so many good things about this machine. I have the same question as one of the posters above: are there comparable stackables? Or can the 500 w/d be stacked with a kit?

• User
    16 years ago

The Nexxt machines are not stackable. The Axis are stackable, but they are also smaller.

• tomoftarsus
    15 years ago

THREAD TICKLE!

Just curious as to any more recent Bosch 500 Nexxt experience, good or bad. The washer (only) is on my short list. and the old one is alrady on the scrap heap, so time is of the essence.

I'm really interested in how good the "guts" are, motor , belts, etc, and are they easy to get at. My Maytag washer motor seized up after 6 years and I think if I'm going to put a grand or so into a washer it should do better than that. i.e if you can't 'permanently lube" a bearing, at least allow me to add some oil, or replace the bearings!

Good info above, thanks all!

• plumbly22
    15 years ago

After 2+ years of ownership now I will say I would easily buy this machine again...

That said I have had 2 service calls... the first time the pump stopped... it was replaced and it's run great ever since...until I washed a rubber backed bath rug and the backing fell apart into crumbs and plugged the line... service cleaned that out for me and it's been great ever since... now that second time was entirely my fault... I knew the backing was old and delicate... but I was trying to push one last wash and a month or so out of the rug... dumb move...

Personally the only 'guts' I've gotten near is to open the round 'access' on the bottom front which allows you to open the clean out prior to the pump... when I've checked there (other than with the rug incident) there is never anything of consequence... and it's solely been an 'execrise' in how to do it...

That said... be aware that a small item (kids socks, small panties, etc) will occassionally end up in the gasket by the door, and then you have to decide if you're going to hold onto it for another load, or give it a good squeeze out and toss it into the dryer... I have found if I put this type of item in the washer first when loading the problem does not occur as often... maybe once per month or two... not great, but not a deal breaker in my mind.

From comments some have posted here is seems that some bosch models do not have a spin option on the dial any longer, so I'd watch for that as IF you end up unbalanced you can get a 'soggy' load at the end and then you just need to re-spin the load after rearranging it... again, not frequent maybe I've done this 3-4 times in 2+ years??? but if you don't have the option to select only a spin, you'd have to rewash needlessly.

If you don't currently have a fl machine, be aware, cycles are longer... I find my typical normal regular wash time is about 1 hour per load, unless I select the 'quick' wash of ~25 minutes.

good luck with whatever you end up with.

• jenn
    15 years ago

We're looking for a good, reliable washer to replace our Maytag Neptune before it takes off or explodes during the spin cycle.

Yesterday, we saw the Bosch machines among many others, and really liked the Bosch for its features and good construction. Our laundry room is on the first floor which is tiled on a concrete foundation.

Since we're leaning toward a FL washer for the energy efficiency, we're wondering if we'll have the same mildew and gunk build-up on the inside of the door on this machine or any other FLs, like we do on the Neptune.

From reading posts here so far, it appears that vibration seems to be the only issue with these machines.

• jenn
    15 years ago

We're looking for a good, reliable washer to replace our Maytag Neptune before it takes off or explodes during the spin cycle.

Yesterday, we saw the Bosch machines among many others, and really liked the Bosch for its features and good construction. Our laundry room is on the first floor which is tiled on a concrete foundation.

Since we're leaning toward a FL washer for the energy efficiency, we're wondering if we'll have the same mildew and gunk build-up on the inside of the door on this machine or any other FLs, like we do on the Neptune.

From reading posts here so far, it appears that vibration seems to be the only issue with these machines.

• pavment
    14 years ago

I owned a Bosch Nexxt 300 which is 2 rungs lower. Performed very well for the past 3.2 years. Today after 3 repair attempts the unit is barely functioning, it keeps draining at every cycle.
    So any machine will break down and I feel this might be one of Bosch weakness.

• shortlid
    14 years ago

I hope the Vision 300 I just bought holds up better than 3 years!! I am replacing a 25 year old Maytag that JUST quit!

• shortlid
    14 years ago

bsh_chris can e-mail me I have some ?'s for me.

• SUMMERINBETHANY_GMAIL_COM
    13 years ago

Have had my Bosch pair for several years now. On ceramic tile floor on first floor. No issues with vibrations or movement or any problems like that. Handles tons of laundy well each week.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor