Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bleusblue2

need SMALL top loader

bleusblue2
12 years ago

I haven't had a working washer for 8 months and no new washer will fit in the closet of this apartment. The closet is 26 inches deep and 24 inches wide -- with a little extra on the width. With all my research I can't find anything that fits in there except the new Danby portable but it's apparently a big deal to convert it to a permanent hookup. The closet is on the 2nd floor so that's why it should be a top loader. The machine can't be too deep because I have to allow at least 3 inches for the water hookup. Does anybody have any suggestion at all? If nothing works I'll have to have a washer standing somewhere odd!!! I'm in Canada. Thanks for any ideas.

Comments (14)

• oregpsnow
    12 years ago

One of those old-fashioned 24 inch laundry centers may fit - but the depth may be an issue. You may need to remove the closet door to get anything in there. This is an issue for many people who are moving up to modern machines - including me. My old unit was in a closet in the kitchen and I had to remove the door to get a stacked HE W/D set in there. But it looks good and works great.

• lee676
    12 years ago

LG's WT1485CW (link below) is probably the best top-loader 24"w or less.

Check Haier and Avanti too, not sure of Canadian availability. Don't get anything with a center agitator post; there isn't enough room in a narrow washer for larger/heavier clothes to circulate well and they'll get ripped to shreds quickly

Here is a link that might be useful: LG compact top load washer

• ideagirl2
    12 years ago

Why does it matter what floor it's on? I'm not getting why that means it should be a top loader.

• lee676
    12 years ago

yeah, a 24"w front loader would work much better if it will fit - not a problem for it to be on a 2nd floor

• manitobasky
    12 years ago

I'm not going to get into the FL vs TL thing. I did so searching and the only two FL that I can find that look like they will fit are the maytag and whirlpool ones. I know the maytag is a rebadged samsung. I owned for two years until it died from motor and controller failure. I don't know who makes the whirlpool. Also remember to allow space for the door to be left open a crack. Now back to the question at hand, the LG linked above may just fit. I downloaded the manual and it's just under 24" deep, home depot sells them. I would want the see one and measure to be sure.

• lee676
    12 years ago

The two Bosch washers sold in Canada will also fit your space (23 9/16"w, 24 1/2"d). These are front loaders but they wash more gently, hold more clothes, and extract more water during the spin cycle than any available small top loader. They run on 240 volt/15 amp power so they have powerful, fast internal water heaters that allow you to not draw from your hot water supply and still heat the water up to 160F. As noted in their specs, it's specifically designed not to vibrate for 2nd floor installations. This is a much better, and better built machine than the ones GE and Whirlpool sell (neither which hold as much laundry, has as large a door opening, heats its own water, or is built as nicely).

Here is a link that might be useful: Bosch 23 1/2

• dadoes
    12 years ago

I'm not going to get into the FL vs TL thing. I did so searching and the only two FL that I can find that look like they will fit are the maytag and whirlpool ones. I know the maytag is a rebadged samsung.Don't be so sure on that point of Samsung without directly confirming what's the situation now, if your previous experience was several years ago. Manufacturers change their line-ups often nowadays and manufacturing sources also change.

• manitobasky
    12 years ago

The model maytag still sells is the same one I had. The control broad I personally removed from the washer had samsung printed on it and at the time samsung sold the same washer.

• bleusblue2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you everybody -- I'm so grateful for all these beynd the call of duty suggestions. I will be back in a day or two -- I had to quickly plan a trip and am leaving tomorrow. I'll have access to a computer and I want to study all of this. The front loader/top loader -- it's vibration that's the issue. I've heard that the front loader should only be in the basement. If I find out otherwise, that will be great news.

• bleusblue2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, here I am back again. After doing my research on the front loaders I'm just too leary of the vibration problem. I know they are in highrises but those joists and floors must have been designed especially for that situation. After all this time, I just got the new Sears catalogue that shows the Kenmore washer & dryer. The washer will fit perfectly. It's 2 cubic feet. I only saw 7 reviews on the web -- two great and 5 bad!!! But I see it as my only option unless I want to reconfigure my apartment. I'll try it, wont overload it, get a plan ... While it doesn't say in the catalogue it is a portable and so Sears wont hook it up even if I have/buy the hoses. I don't get it but I'll talk to them when I go in to look at it. The attitude these days, I guess, is take it or leave it, sometimes even in small stores.

• mara_2008
    12 years ago

Maytag washers are not made by Samsung. They're made by Whirlpool. Whirlpool bought Maytag a few years ago.

• manitobasky
    12 years ago

Yes Whirlpool did buy Maytag but they are still selling the Samsung made compact FL as a Maytag model number MAH2400AWW.

• caryscott
    12 years ago

Annoying as small and restrictive laundry spaces are the praticalities often make the choice for you which saves some agonizing over the decision. Small bessings.

Is Maytag still selling that compact pair? They are a Samsung product but they don't meet the latest Energy Star guidelines so they are no longer sold by Samsung in Canada. I have had the Samsung version (a more stripped down version of the Maytag set) for a couple of years without any problems.

• manitobasky
    12 years ago

It is still on the Maytag website, can't say I've seen one on the floor of any stores. I liked mine too until it died on me, I still wish I had gotten another small FL. I got a full size Bosch and it works well, I've had zero problems. it does take me along time to get enough laundry to fill it.