Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grahamw_gw

Cabinet layout

grahamw
9 years ago

Hi all,

Does anyone here have any layout advice for how best to position a pair of laundry machines in a bay window opening? No, the machines will not in the window, but in the basement below the bay window, and the foundation walls take the same shape. The dimensions are very irregular:

{{gwi:2135089}}

The room is now framed and drywalled with the exception of the bay window wall as I need to do the electrical and connect up the plumbing once I figure out a layout. The drawing looks very crowded, but it isn't as bad as it looks. The machines are stackable and 24" square. Note that "keep clear" means that I cannot place an appliance in that spot. No issues with standing there, baskets or even a temporary drying rack. Just that I need clearance around the services/utilities by code or for maintenance. The washer/dryer cannot be moved from the wall where I've placed them as this is where the rough plumbing is located.

My goals are to make the space efficient and attractive, with a sink, cabinet storage and enough counter space to get the job done.

I have 3 ideas roughly sketched out and I'd love some feedback.

Sketch A:
- I like the idea of a tall cabinet to the left of the stacked machines as it will give me a place to put taller things (vacuum, broom, etc)
- I will be able to put a standard sized sink immediately to the right of the machines.
- The downside is there is not much counter space... but how much do I really need?

{{gwi:2135090}}

Sketch B:
- A nice long counter to work on.
- No tall cabinet as drawn, but I could put one to the left of the machines.
- It may prove difficult to find a sink that will fit in that small irregular cabinet to the right of the machines.

{{gwi:2135091}}

Sketch C:
- A nice long counter to work on.
- Easy placement of a sink.
- The 'cabinet' to the left of the machines looks odd and I cannot carry the wall angle as it would impede access to my electrical service panel. I am also very restricted on the maximum machine width of 24" so there would be no up-sizing. Leaving it out would also look odd given the depth of the stacking machines and the angle of that little space.

{{gwi:2135092}}

NB: I mistakenly posted this in the kitchen forum originally. Sorry if you have already read all this:

Thanks everyone!

Comments (7)