Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brianadarnell_gw

HELP- Maytag Bravos Washer is such a pain!

brianadarnell
12 years ago

This is the top loading Bravos washer I am talking about. Even when you place sheets in the washer separately, this washer has a way of corralling them into a giant ball that slams around in the washer and ends up sending an error message and shutting off. Does anyone else have this problem? Has anyone figured out a way around it other than washing everything separately which is ridiculous?

Cross posted on appliances as well.

Comments (68)

• dee_vegas
    7 years ago

gr8daygw -- You can hear the water draining out, but the sound is not enough to drive me to the insanity level! Absolutely no thumping when the dryer is running. Perfectly smooth. I wonder if your unit was properly leveled using the little feet on each corner of the dryer. (The washer has them, too. If the units aren't level, you will definitely get a thumping/bumping noise when the drum is turning, which I suspect is not good for the machine.)

• Rebecca Brown
    7 years ago

Yeah we are finding that out now it is broke down I would not buy another one again. having a hard time trying to find someone to come fix it.

• lauraoliver
    7 years ago

I hate my 2016 maytag bravos mct. It does not get the clothes clean because it doesn't use enough water. I don't see where there is any diiference in the cycles because they all fill the same amount of water I am tired of hearing "its an HE so its not supposed to use much water" I really don't care how much water it does or doesn't use, I just want my clothes clean. The folls that like must never get really dirty.

• Lora Power
    6 years ago

I have a Maytag bravo :-) mcg and hate hate hate it it is 6 months old can't give it away it is such junk

• dadoes
    6 years ago

I have a Maytag Bravos HE impeller-style toploader that was given to me last year by neighbors of my parents. Dates to 2011. Has bad bearings and is quite grungy, poor usage habits probably contributed to the bearing failure. It's a pending refurb project, and I'm *very* interested to find out how it performs.

• carolinexga
    5 years ago
    Laundry is supposed to be a weekly no brainer task, right? Put the laundry in and let the machine do it’s thing, right? Not for me! I bought the Maytag Bravos MVWB835DW HE washer in November 2017. It’s been 5 months and I’ve never (literally never!) been able to wash sheets or blankets without it getting off balance, even when I use the Sheets option. And once you get the OFB indicator, you can’t fix it. I’ve tried to move the sheets around and restart it but it just beeps and won’t let you continue. The other problem is sometimes I just can’t get it to start for any type of load, and I have to go thru the reset routine. I wish I had read more reviews of this machine. I wish I had a sledgehammer that I could take to it. My last washer I had for 27 years and it never gave me a problem for the first 26. This one is a constant problem. Do yourself a favor and buy something else. I wish I had.
  • dee_vegas
    5 years ago

@carolinexga -- I see you have the top loader. I used to get them, but I switched to front loaders and couldn't be happier. I've had this Maytag MHW5500FW for almost two years. The spin cycle almost completely removes the rinse water — with no balance problems — so my dryer doesn't need to run as long to dry the loads. Washing machines manufactured since 2000 seem to have a lifespan of about 7-8 years. (No more 27-year machines anymore!) But considering how expensive new washing machines are, they're not something you "trade in" before they break down. My point it, if you can hang in there with the model you have, you'll probably need a new machine in about 7 years. At that point, consider getting a front loader.

• Deb Nobles
    5 years ago

I hate mine too! We bought both the washer and dryer 2 years ago. I'm 65 and have been doing wash for a long long time. This machine twists and wrinkles everything! I even have to iron my pillowcases. I've never had this with my other washers. The dryer isn't much better. I've tried different settings too and it doesn't make a difference.

• Debbie Dunn
    5 years ago

Same here. Had to have my dryer repaired twice. Paid more than buying a new one. Then asked repairman to look at deep water wash cycle because it never fills over the fabrics, he charged $50 to look in and tell me that you couldnt put a lot in at once. I tried it with one sheet, still the same. And it balls up the clothes as well. Dryer takes two runs to dry. Terrible machines.

• fran Gass
    4 years ago

I hate both the washer and the dryer. I take no pride in my laundry at all, I wish I could afford a new set, I think I have had mine for 2yrs, bought from HD.

• K SlvJr.
    4 years ago

Yup....I had a Bravos when I lived in the condo. I really wanted to like it....but I really...didn’t like it...at all! It washed your average sized loaded of clothes fine, but forget about a huge load of clothes that it’s enormous tub could hold but could barely roll over! And mine went off balance with sheets as well, and forget about washing even a queen-sized comforter in it...it would just basically turn back and forth and become this gigantic “mushroom” during the wash and rinse phases of the cycle...and it was set to the bulky cycle! The bulky cycle for me was the biggest disappointment of this machine. I really wanted something that could handle a king comforter and while te Bravos could hold it, it definitely couldn’t wash it effectively! Was very happy to say BUH-BYE to that washer when I moved out of my condo. We inherited a Frigidaire Affinity front load set in our new place and while I am very happy to be back using a front load washer, I am looking for a bigger front loader than the Affinity to tackle my disabled sons massive amounts of laundry. I don’t think I’ll be going back to a disk/impeller style washer for a long time at least!

• jamelalatham
    4 years ago

Please run, don't walk away from this machine. If you like washing the same items over and over again to get them clean then this is the machine for you. If you want to wash a load just one time, dry them and enjoy the rest of the day then this is not the machine for you. It does not get your items clean unless you spray a pre wash and let them soak before washing. So please don't do as I did and get stuck with this piece of junk. Like I said, RUN, RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN AWAY FROM THIS MACHINE.

• jefcol
    4 years ago

Well, I feel a little better knowing it's not just me. I started to question my clothes washing abilities. I've only been doing it for 30 years or so! This washer is awful! The twists and wrinkles in shirt sleeves and pant legs are so bad that they are almost permanent. I could probably pull out an iron, but I've never felt the need to iron jeans before and I don't feel like starting now. Can't wait to get rid of this and go back to a front loader. I bought the extended warranty from Lowes and I've had the unit for a little over a year. I hope there's some recourse but I doubt it at this point.

• K SlvJr.
    4 years ago

jefcol,
    We just got an LG 3900 front load washer and matching dryer and they are superb! They are LIGHT YEARS better than the Bravos I had in a previous home! Crossing my fingers for you that you do have some recourse....the Bravos really is/was an utter disappointment! :(

• monicakm_gw
    4 years ago

When we first started looking for washers last fall my husband kept chanting "Maytag". I, of course, knew better because of this forum :) I'm super happy with my (top loading, agi) GE washer/dryer. My goal was to find a washer that let use as much water as I wanted. I'm old so don't try to convince me you can get clean clothes with a cup of water ;) It's a HE model but I always override the settings so I can use a lot of water. I wash 2/3 of our laundry in hot water. Good stuff and jeans in cold.

• claudette_52
    3 years ago

My Maytag Bravos washer turned 4 on April 2, 2020. it was not a happy birthday. It was having it's 5th repair. Piece of junk if there ever was one. I purchased this from Lowes and it had the 1 year warranty. I believe the door switch went out that first year. Oh but come that second year...thank heavens for that first repairman giving me the heads up to buy the Lowes Protection plan! This washer has been repaired 4 times for the same problem..washer plate wears out because it's aluminum!! The time before last it not only needed the washer plate but a new TUB and all the gears below it!! These have been $500 repairs! Lowes suggested I contact Maytag for a buy out..I did and they mumbled around telling be it's a warranty problem! Oh bite me... There is a law called The Magnuson-Moss Law that is suppose to protect consumers if an appliance has repeated repairs for the same problem! Well here I am Maytag! I don't know where I'm going next but I guarantee Maytag has not heard the last from me!

• HU-440566227
    3 years ago

Yes!!! I HATE this washer! It doesn’t fill sufficiently and everything gets tied in knots.

• Brian Hale
    3 years ago

I wish I had read this before I bought a bravo set and started having problems then finding that EVERYONE IT seams has MULTIPLE issues, the Maytag repairman is no longer lonely!!!!!!!!

• Jim Greene
    3 years ago

Biggest piece of junk I ever wasted money on. Water level barely if at all covers the load, When it spins it looks like its going to blow up it rocks and bounces so bad. Repair man coming tomorrow after 3 months of putting up with this washer. I will insist Home Depot refund my money and replace with a washer that works. Done with Maytag.

• dadoes
    3 years ago

What are you gonna get to replace it?

• Konnie Yoakum
    3 years ago

I HATE my Maytag Bravos Quiet300 more than anything I have ever owned, ever. It is simply the worst. I am buying a new washer today, I have had it with every, single wash going off balance. I cannot even wash 10 tee shirts or 4 pair of jeans or a load of towels without an all afternoon effort. I complained to Maytag and they serviced it for free once, it worked about five months and started the same nonsense. I saw a YouTube where a Maytag owner tightened a bolt in the bottom of the washer with an Allen wrench and seemed to correct the problem......I HATE this washer so much I do not even want to try to fix it.

• K SlvJr.
    3 years ago

Wow! It’s amazing to me the amount of complaints this washer has! Mine among them! Maytag....pull it together! Just about everyone who’s owned one clearly HATES this Bravos washer!

• dee_vegas
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

By now, you probably think of Maytag as the "M" word! But the Maytag front loader I got four years ago has been my favorite washing machine of all time... and I'm 69! It has an incredible spin cycle at the end which gets clothes so wrung out (not sure if that's correct grammar or not) they hardly need to go into the dryer. So not only I am saving money on the washing end, the dryer isn't running as long as it used to.

Home Depot (DISCLAIMER: I don't work for them) is currently running a pretty decent sale on Maytags. Maybe all washers are on sale for Labor Day. Anyway, the equivalent to my model (MHW5500) is on sale for $648.00. I paid around $780 four years ago, so the Home Depot price sounds pretty good!

Here are two links. The first one is the review site for the washer I have. The second link is nearly for the nearly identical—but newer—model at Home Depot.

https://www.maytag.com/washers-and-dryers/washers/front-load-washers/p.front-load-washer-with-fresh-hold-option-and-powerwash-system-4.5-cu.-ft.mhw5500fw.html

www.maytag.com/washers-and-dryers/washers/front-load-washers/p.front-load-washer-with-fresh-hold-option-and-powerwash-system-4.5-cu.-ft.mhw5500fw.html

Honestly, I couldn't be happier with my Maytag front loader. Never any unbalanced loads. All laundry comes out smelling fresh and clean with no special "scent boosters" (like Unstopable) necessary. I do usually add about a half-cup of baking soda to each load just for good measure.

P.S. The secret is to buy a front loader. My sister-in-law has a Maytag top loader, and the few times I needed to use it, I hated it!

P.P.S. Now I can even wash my own quilted bedspreads and comforters without needed to take them to the laundromat. Pretty great, huh?

• HU-319270709
    3 years ago

This is the WORST appliance I have ever owned, sad, sick & disgusted I lost $$$$

• HU-675285119
    3 years ago

Got mine delivered today. I thought it was defective till I read everyone having the same issues. Now I know it's just a scam that Maytag is selling a washer that doesn't wash! I will call the store when they open and complain and then if that doesn't work, my credit card company and if that doesn't work I'll bring them to small claims court!

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    3 years ago

675285119 - you've just purchased them? I gave a pair away 2 months ago that looked brand new. I'd had enough of adding water with a pitcher from my laundry room sink. I hadn't used 'regular/normal wash' in years, no water in it. All of my laundry was done in bulky, delicates, whites as those were cycles that did have more depth to the fill. Delicates, hot, heavy soil felt ridiculous - who heavily soils delicates - but it did get things clean. I had not planned to buy another Maytag even though I'd never owned anything else. In the end, I did buy the Maytag 6230 pair and I've been happy with the choice, about 10 weeks into it now.

• OldSchool 88
    3 years ago

And thus, I'm keeping my Atlantis top loader running as long as possible. I've accumulated enough no-longer-available spare parts that it might outlast my need to do laundry. It's quiet enough, fills the tub fully with whatever water temp we select, and it cleans things effectively in ~30 minutes every time without drama. That's not too much to ask, is it?

• doreycrouse
    3 years ago

Yeah, used my grandparents Newer Maytag Bravos set a little while ago. Though it did hold about 14 bath towels, it did not clean nearly as well as my Duet would. I used PowerWash with Hot water, deep clean, and extra rinse. The water was warm at best, and numerous washcloths were still not clean enough, and did not smell great either. There was entirely too much lint in the dryer as well. Clearly it was too rough.

• dadoes
    3 years ago

HE toploaders my cause more fabric wear than frontloaders, although both involve items rubbing together as part of the wash action. Proper detergent dosage can help that point (but not eliminate it) in both types of machines by making the wash water and clothes slippery.

• HU-957165247
    3 years ago

Bravos XL since 2012 replacing due too leakage for water solenoid Assy Malfunction for the second time in 12 months. Water is softened. Bearing is also bad have parts to do it myself but forget it,not a good washer replacing with Speed Queen

• HU-876907849
    3 years ago

it is the worst washer I had ever had, it’s bad when you have to add water to cover the clothes so they get clean. Everything comes out in knots and if you don’t add more water some of the clothes have dry areas. Never again

• Carmela Crampton
    3 years ago

I used the bulky are you supposed to Sheets cycle for all my laundry it fills the machine I do not like the machine either it shakes rattles and rolls and then when you put it on any other cycle it has hardly any water in it so put it on bulky sheets and it'll be great

• doreycrouse
    3 years ago

^^Carmela, I can't completely understand you. But I find the Sheets cycle does work the best for preventing tangling, if that is what you are trying to say.

• Bruno Primas
    3 years ago

Yep. Don't even THINK about washing a pillow or two. (Or blankets, sheets, jackets, etc). It'll NEVER spin out, and, if you're not around, will run for a few hours. It kinda negates the whole, "saving water", BS, when it empities and refills MULTIPLE times because it becomes unbalanced.

• HU-930887229
    3 years ago

Every time I wash dark pants they come out covered with white streaks of something all over them, and I always use liquid soap not powder. I’ve tried using the deep water setting and I have used the clean washer setting before washing dark clothes but it doesn’t matter-white streaks still appear. I also hate how my sheets end up with a mushroom cloud and all knotted together. I had so looked forward to the day when I could afford a Maytag washer but I am so disappointed with this one. I won’t be getting another Maytag.

• armjim
    3 years ago

HU-930887229, if you use the deep water setting, the tub fills with water but there is virtually no turn over, meaning the impeller is not powerful enough to cause the laundry to get submerged and properly moved around to have the necessary washing action. I found this out using my parents' machine. Very frustrating.

• HU-241167433
    3 years ago

The house we have been renting 7 months has a Maytag Bravos MCT washer and dryer combo. We suggested the owner/property manager buy it to replace the property’s economy top-load agitator pair from the previous tenants, who was getting a brand new set for their new build house.

I came to this thread to find hacks for the Queen sheets mushrooming up and causing it to go off-balance, getting the sensor to register all the clothes, occasional dry patches or liquid soap spots, and some other sporadic issues. Suggestions to set the cycles for deeper water on the Sheets setting and more power with the Heavy Duty seem helpful for full loads of sturdy clothes and clothes that have dirt, stains, or smells. I realize that I have had better results with these settings. I will probably only use the regular setting for medium loads, and the other settings for delicate, hand washed type items.

Before this washer, my personal experience two different brands of front load washers in our homes in, occasional front load use visiting family, and decades of top-load agitators in home or laundromats until 2014. I loved my first front-load washer. It was refurbished and had great settings. The only issue was ensuring I kept the door open between washings, ran a bleach cycle a couple of times a month, and kept the laundry room ventilated to prevent mildew/mold in the door gasket. We had to sell it to move into an urban apartment that provided a Frigidaire side-by-side frontload combo in laundry closet with double doors that swung into the dining area and kitchen island of the open concept floor plan. No matter how often I ran actual washing machine cleaner and washed the door gasket, it was spotted black and the drain holes would start to grow over with mildew. I always left the washer door cracked, but I couldn’t leave the laundry closet open because the doors blocked a walkway, but the washer was poorly designed for preventing and treating mold. The Frigidaire washer also had limited settings so that there was no option to soak or really powerfully clean very dirty or smelly clothes - which we had. So, I disagree with dee_vegas that the answer is always a front load.

From my experience, each person/household has different priorities in laundry. So when I shop for a washer and dryer again, I will prioritize my list of features I am looking - latest technology and current decorator appeal will be in there somewhere, and I will consider new with a warranty or refurbished with a warranty.

• montel (CA US 10b/Sunset 16)
    3 years ago

We have a 6 year old Bravos XL - it has now had a few issues and after struggling for half the day today doing my second bearing and seal replacement this year I am starting to think (dream) about my next washing machine.

We are in a drought stricken water area, and even though we have always preferred Top Loaders due to being able to add clothes mid cycle I think that may need to change.

I am just now thinking of getting a new washer at some point and would like to see what everyone else suggests. Miele (costs a bit)? Electrolux...not sure. GE?. Kenmore (just an LG)? Won't go Samsung as they seem to be pretty low quality. I am also staying away from LG due to previous issues with their products including a washer that was bought back by LG.

• Melissa Vernon
    3 years ago

Wow I thought it was just me, never saw all these comments! Our bravos xl is huge inside but doesn’t wash well. It took several cycles for me to realize why it was leaving dried white lint in everything. Not enough water! Some times when I did white loads my almost clean white jeans would come out dirtier than they went in! Yuck! I figured it was because I was also washing my kids dirty white socks in the load. It helped not washing their super dirty socks with my stuff but what I found helped the most was just washing almost everything on Deep Water cycle. I just saw a comment above about it though that says there isn’t much turnover with deep water? Can anyone elaborate? Also you can not just wash 1 item in there no matter how big or small it throws the balance off. I always put more than 1 item in. Sometimes I find that it’s running a long time if it gets unbalanced and I just go in and move a few things around it’s better. I bought these to replace my old whirlpool duet front loaders which got so moldy I Always had to keep the door open when not in use. That grossed me out so much that I wanted to try the top loaders. I’ll def do my research on the best front loaders next time we need to replace because I need something that actually cleans way better than these bravos.

• dadoes
    3 years ago

Here's a YouTube video from an appliance store that tests machines
    showing what can happen when there's too much water on these HE/impeller machines. Load of four sheets on the Bulky cycle in Heavy Duty mode.
    The wash period starts at 12 mins 40 secs at a low fill level, then the
    machine fills progressively higher. The highest level is reached at 27
    mins 50 secs. The wash period continues to the drain at 38 mins 53
    seconds. You can click the gear icon to find a setting for running the
    video at 2x normal speed to see better that the items get a scrubbing
    and roll over at the lower levels, then float at the high level. The
    fellow tries to push them down with a stick at 31 mins 45 seconds.

• beaglenc
    3 years ago

Each video I see of these machines almost make me cringe! Just don't see how they can clean and rinse good enough. But one can add all sorts of highly scented products to cover up the stink left behind.

• dadoes
    3 years ago

Here's a vid for comparison of my Fisher & Paykel AquaSmart running two sets of sheets (queen and twin) and several pillow covers on the designated Sheets cycle. Run it at full-screen and 2x speed to see the rollover more clearly. Wash period starts at 6 mins 55 secs.

Sheets cycle on AquaSmart is a specific deep-fill level, although not as high as the machine above. It's for sure too much water for one twin set of sheets, almost too much for one queen set, good for both sets together. Agitation alternates through three patterns -- long slow rotation, long slightly faster, short faster.

• Holly Day
    3 years ago

Thank you https://www.houzz.com/user/gr8daygw your comment on this thread made me laugh, which I greatly needed since I was ready to load my 2 year old Maytag Bravos XL full of explosives and light it. After reading your comment and others I will instead donate it to someone I know who scraps things and buy a new washer.

• Jude
    2 years ago

I never liked my Maytag Bravos. I thought it just did a poor job on cleaning clothes. Sheets or blankets always did the parachute shape and took machine off balance. After two and a half year of misery it froze in Houston's recent ice storm. Or maybe it just broke. I bought a used Kenmore/whirlpool 25 years old. I thought my white face clothes were stained with make up. But no. One wash in Kenmore and they are white again. So many items just look better. Since i use borax clothes never really had a smell. But now they smell clean. The scrapyard gave my son ten dollars for the Bravos.

• Carmela Crampton
    2 years ago

I agree Maytag should allow us money or trade in to get another machine they must know this is the worst machine ever and who can afford to just buy a new washer they should be ashamed of this product I thought I was getting something new and modern and better not so! ! start machine and leave so when I come home it already jumped all around my laundry room shame on Maytag stop making commercials and make a better product they should have a recall on them

• HU-191510539
    2 years ago

I agree

• Tj regier
    2 years ago

Worst washer ever! Booth house and this is the current washer. Darks come out with white powder steaks even though I use HE liquid detergent. Have to put on extra rinse EVERY load and still clothes have residue and do not come out clean. Light clothes like puffy vest float to top and come out of washer dry and dirty. Looking to replace ASAP

• HU-242043117
    2 years ago

Probably the most miserable washer I have ever used. An hour long wshing cycle that never ever has sufficient water levels. If it breaks down it will be a happy day! Chain it to the bumper of my car & drag it to the curb.

• HU-500783846
    2 years ago

Get another one.! They are terrible

• HU-795507776
    last year

7 yrs old..not one problem love it..use 2-3 times a week..

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
DC Area's Award-Winning Interior Designer | 12x Best of Houzz