Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Built in Washer Water Supply Access

Posted by hernalo (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 19, 13 at 11:41

I love the built in look with the tiled backsplash but how do you access the water supply and electric outlet? Are they behind the unit? The other side of my laundry closet is a walk in closet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Built in Washer Water Supply Access

I'm thinking of making the same thing. I have a stacked washer dryer in a small closet just big enough for it's footprint. There is another closet that backs-up that W/D closet. Since it's only a closet, I was thinking of cutting an access hole, using a sheet rock cutter similar to a box cutter. Make the hole just large enough to fit my arm in there to get access to faucets and outlets or even the dryer's duct. The only disadvantage is since it's a PIA to take the washer and dryer back out, cutting the hole would make a mess (sheet rock dust and stuff) in the back of the W/D. And then I would add some sort of door with trim to make it look nice. Would your tiled backsplash get in the way of access hole? If so, you have to pull your W/D out, and start the access hole from the tile-side of the wall first.

o

Thanks! I will use an access panel on the closet side and will tile around the box that houses the water supply. I am thinking of installing a floodstop
shut off valve for my peace of mind

o

Sounds good. Since there will be no studs near the access hole, I'd need to glue a frame/trim to the sheetrock on both sides, to protect the sheetrock edge, but I haven't figured a way to fasten some doors or panels on the outside of each sheetrock. It would look kind of tacky with an open hole. Possibly using some simple louver panels may do the trick. And some how notch them into the sheetrock hole so they secured or latched when not in use??

o

Well I figured it out. There are plastic doors made for this. They are called "Plumber Access Panels" No framing or studs required. Possibly I can install one on the W/D side from the other closet instead of pulling out out my W/D stack, which is a PIA.

This post was edited by jseeley on Wed, Jan 30, 13 at 12:27

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here