Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
colloquor

Maytag A712 Washer Question

Colloquor
9 years ago

The orbital transmission in our Maytag A712 washer failed after 24 years of excellent service. After surveying a number of new washers, including the Speed Queens with the mechanical timer (probably the only new washer I would have purchased), and speaking with a number of experienced appliance service technicians, I've decided to repair the A712 instead of buying a new machine. FYI... I'm a retired auto technician, and have maintained our appliances since we bought this home in 1990.

After initial troubleshooting, I've decided to essentially overhaul the washer, replacing the majority of the mechanical internals, including the failed deep tub orbital transmission of course.

Here's my question: Do you install the brake assembly on the bottom of the suspension block (also sometimes called the damper) prior to installing the transmission, or after the transmission is installed through the suspension block?

Otherwise the overhaul is pretty straightforward. The snubber pads beneath the suspension block are also being replaced as they were worn down to the metal base of the washer.

Although some may feel its crazy to invest $400 to $500 in parts in rebuilding a 24 year old washer, most professional technicians have told me the Maytag A712 is a great washer, and worthwhile of overhauling. Thankfully, the outer tub and top had very little rust, thus leaks after the overhaul hopefully won't be a problem.

Thanks for any insight on the question.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County