Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
considerations for second-floor washer/dryer?

Posted by circuspeanut (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 27, 13 at 10:12

hi there,
We're considering relocating our laundry from basement to second floor of the house (that's the first floor for you Europeans). Upstairs with the bedrooms, in other words.

House is very solid but built in 1910, stick frame with plaster walls, and we want to minimize the vibration damage, or at least gain an understanding of the issues involved.

We have a great plumber who will put in a custom overflow floor drain for us, and the target laundry room is a small bedroom off the bathroom sharing piping walls with the bathroom. We don't anticipate any issues with straight-shot venting to the exterior wall.

We are huge Miele lovers and have planned to invest in a new Miele set (regular models not stackable), but are concerned with the greater weight and sensitive balance issues of the frontloader.

Can anyone weigh in with experiences putting in a laundry room on the second floor, and/or washer and dryer model recommendations? Many thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: considerations for second-floor washer/dryer?

I am also considering moving my Washer/Dryer to the 2nd floor. Right now they are in a mudroom area on the main floor of the house. Its crowded and we have piles of laundry everywhere. Its unsightly.

We have a small room over our garage that is rarely used. We are thinking of moving our washer/dryer up there. If it leaks it would only be over the garage, so not as big a deal I am thinking. We have a large LG Tromm Steamwasher and a large dryer. Front-loading. We just have to get hot/cold water up there and a gas line since we have a gas dryer.

o
RE: considerations for second-floor washer/dryer?

I designed my home 19 years ago from top to bottom, drawings and all. If there is one thing that was the best choice, is was the second floor laundry room. For me it is acutally the third level because we are built on stilts and my main level is actually our second level. Most of the laundry is one the bedroom level..............by all means go for it.

o
an more considerations for second-floor washer/dryer?

............and do consider a floor drain. Our laundry room houses the water tank as well. The floor drain has already saved our dining room ceiling once.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here