Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help: Add plywood to reinforce floor?

Posted by misterz (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 3, 10 at 10:11

Laundry room closet is on second floor, middle of townhome.
Currently chipped tile is in there. I am going to rip it out.

Any suggestions to reduce vibration? Add 3/4 inch plywood? Add rubber sheet and than plywood? Or plywood and thick rubber mat on top of plywood?

Help please.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help: Add plywood to reinforce floor?

Some more information about your existing structure will help. Your tile might be chipping because it was improperly installed. Do you have a top or front loader washing machine? Since you are dealing with harmonics all factors need to be taken into account. Here is a blog link on the subject with input from others on how they attempted to resolve the issue regarding a front loader: Front Load Washer Vibration And Noise - Think Sikorsky Helicopter

o

Just a thought: how about using an anti-vibration set. They look like hockey pucks and are used under the feet of woodworking machines. I think Lee Valley Woodworking is one supplier, but there are probably others.
Now that I think of it, I'll have to try some under my own w/d. I could use less vibrations.
Good luck.

o

That is a very interesting post dryndusty. Furthermore, I absolutely agree with your ideas!

o

When we were going to get our first front loader we were worried about the reported shaking problems. I had the floor redone with a small 3/4 plywood platform in one corner to take the washer and dryer. It was cut to about the space they needed and nailed down with ring nails and screws. Then the waterproof cement board under layment went over the whole floor and new porcelain tiles on top. It has worked perfectly, and we didn't have the changes we would have if we had raised the entire floor by 3/4 inch.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here