Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carvyn

Maytag Maxima

carvyn
9 years ago

I purchased the Maytag Maxima 5100 washer and dryer last weekend. The washing machine has left my clothes looking worn and my laundry tub is filled with a very fine lint that goes past my lint trap. The dryer seems to leave the clothes wrinkled even though I am shaking them before placing them in the dryer. I have tried different combinations of spin speed, temperature and more or less dry. I am using Tide Free and Clear HE and am filling the cup to 1. I don't think that the detergent should be the problem because I had used this same detergent in my old machine. I have tried more detergent

My old dryer would cool down at the end of the cycle and would run continuously on air. This new dryer will run every few minutes to prevent wrinkles, but this doesn't seem to help. I have to try to get the clothes out immediately which is difficult with two kids when the machines are in the basement.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Home Depot is supposed to send someone out this week.

Comments (7)

• poppy214
    9 years ago

It is likely your new Maytag uses much less water than your old machine even if the old machine was an he machine. Depending on the hardness of your water, you may be using too much detergent. Detergent manufacturers want to sell soap. The amount suggested is twice as much as you need to get the clothes clean. I use no more than 2 tbsp, a coffee measure, of powder for the dirtiest clothes, liquid detergent about a tablespoon.

How about the water temperature? All cold rinses in the new machines. The water temperature of the wash water is also reduced. In my experience, the hot wash is only warm. I've seen that dull finish on clothes with too much soap and only cold wash and rinse--soap residue. It can also impact the dryer.

The other point to examine is what type of rinse you're getting. A spray rinse may be energy efficient, but it doesn't get the soap out. Does your machine have an extra rinse option?

Do you still have suds when you run the wash cycle with no detergent and no clothes? You might need to run the tub clean cycle with no cleaner to see if that helps with detergent residues.

Good Luck

• Appliancetoday
    9 years ago

Hi, you mentioned you have the maytag 5100 dryer... well if thats the case you have steam refresh. If your dryer was installed correctly put your items that you want wrinkles taken out on steam refresh mode and let it run for the 22 mins it will post then your in happy land again. also make sure you have the tumble fresh setting on your washer set as this will help as well. for more information check your user manual as it shows the settings.

Good luck.

• carvyn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I used less detergent yesterday with one load washed in cold and one load washed in warm with an extra rinse on both loads. I also set the dryer to a less dry setting. There didn't seem to be a change in either load. The dark items still seem to look worn and it almost seems as if the dryer is overdrying the clothes. I think that my next step will be to wash a few dark items and hang them to dry to see how they look. It makes me nervous to keep using the machines because of the way the clothes look. I am worried that I am damaging my clothes permanently.

I have used the steam Refresh cycle on a few items, but I don't want to have to use it on all of my clothes.This seems like a lot of work for a new washer and dryer.

• gates1
    9 years ago

when you say you used the same detergent in your old machine, what kind of machine is it? traditional toploader, or or a front loader? Also what detergent are you using on your clothes? What are you washing that gives you these results and what dryer setting are you using on them?

• practigal
    9 years ago

You must use HE detergent. Could it be that the clothes were worn and you had not noticed because you didn't have the new machines? I noticed that immediately after joining this forum I made significant changes in how I did the laundry and I also realized just how worn some of my clothes had become because I had not been doing it right (turning clothes inside out) over the preceding years. I am not sure what you mean about the washer being filled with a fine lint that goes beyond the lint trap because there is no lint trap in the washer. When I have a fine lint in the washer I have usually left the Kleenex in the pocket (I have to let the washer and dry, and then I vacuum out the remains of the tissue).....however, my iron sometimes leaves a fine grit on my clothes and that is all about the hard water in my area. Before your next load be sure to check around the door seal gasket. Good luck.

• carvyn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am using liquid Tide Free & Gentle HE. I had used this same detergent by accident in my old TL. I used to usually use the non HE Tide Free & Gentle. I am washing mainly cottons and cotton blends, such as t-shirts and jeans or kids clothing. I am using the wrinkle control setting on my dryer. It says that it uses a heat setting of medium to low to prevent wrinkles. I wonder if it is over drying because the t shirt hems are wrinkled up and some of the collars seem puckered. I tried setting the dryer to 15% less dry, but that didn't seem to help. I am ging to try 30% less dry next. There is also an Eco setting that takes longer to dry that I haven't used yet.

My hose from my washing machine goes into a laundry tub (sink). I have a lint trap on the end of the hose to prevent lint from going into my tub. There now is a lot of fine lint in the laundry tub that I did not have with my FL. I have not seen any lint in the actual washing machine.

I am certain that my clothes did not have these problems prior to using these machines. I am really particular how I wash my laundry and I have owned many different washing machines and dryers including a FL washing machine.

• poppy214
    9 years ago

You're sure your machines were correctly installed; level, water pressure correct for the house and the machines. Since you've tried all these tips and you're not satisfied, maybe the Maxima isn't the machine for you. I would explore return and exchange options with Home Depot.

If you feel the machine is not performing correctly, by all means, have the tech visit. I would have examples of the bad laundry results available for the tech to see. Be aware that if the machine is performing correctly, in the tech's opinion, most warranty service will not cover what they call "consumer education."

Good luck.