Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rhettdrive

Washer/dryer combo in Master Suite Closet-Any advice?

RhettDrive
10 years ago

All my dreams have come true w/ the W/D all-in-one----I'm a bit nervous as I consider this for our master closet.

I am also looking at the front load stack-able unit too. Are there any specific models/requirements for when they are placed in a closet on an inside wall?

Anyone have and recommendations?

Comments (4)

• enduring
    10 years ago

Read all you can on the different searches on the laundry forum. Frequent sets that come up that people are very happy with are Speed Queen and Miele. There may be others. Speed Queen is heavy and well made. Old school so not a lot of bells and whistles, but people love that too. Miele is very well built and heavy. They are not the mega machines that are out there. I have a set and am hoping that I get years of service out of them. Both SQ and Miele are supposed to be long lived.

Don't get an LG top loading HE unit. I don't know if they still make them. Some of these units have fallen apart while in the spin cycle. Then they made a recall and changed the program on the spin cycle. That was apparently all they did to this defective machine. Now they spin very slow and people have been very unhappy. LG also recommended not to put in some articles of clothing such as rain wear.

The only issues with Miele that I am aware of is price, and that the size might not accommodate all bedding sizes. I have a queen bed and am fine with the sheets and pillow covers. A queen comforter should fit but I haven't tried that yet. I am not sure if it will take a King comforter. Do a search on that topic in the forum and you may come up with some helpful information.

Something else to consider that is important. Miele, and I am sure others do as well, recommends that front loaders be placed next to a load bearing wall. And in a corner if I remember correctly. This is so you don't have the very high speeds of the machine effecting the joists. You don't want them setting in the middle of the joist system because it will bounce more, like a trampoline. If it goes on cement then perfect. So in your search for machines see the installation instructions they have, to determine placement recommendations.

Here is my stack installed, room very small so hard to get and all inclusive shot:

• curiousshopper
    10 years ago

Very nice. Such a smart use of the space.

• enduring
    10 years ago

Thanks curiousshopper. Do you or others have any ideas on this topic? I would love to see other solutions and recommendations.

edited for clarity.

This post was edited by enduring on Sat, Jan 11, 14 at 18:34

• enduring
    10 years ago

Hi again, I read Mongoct's response on the bathroom forum. He helped me too when I was looking to put in a W/D into the living space. Here is another picture of my setup that I should have included, thinking about what Mongo posted.

Modified inside middle cabinet in my laundry surround:

the working parts of my W/D revealed:

The outlet on the right is now installed and ready for my iron, and the plugin auto on/off LED light bar that I installed inside the top of this section. It will help in illuminating my laundry soaps. Also, when needing to clean the vent or shutting off the water I will be able to see clearly. There are clips that hold the vertical panel in place now, which where not when this picture was taken: