Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fostermom_gw

GE vs Maytag?

fostermom
12 years ago

Hope someone can give me some advice! We have a home warranty company that said they will either give us a GE WCVH6800JWW or give us $591 towards one that we purchase. I called a company that I bought our Neptune from years ago and they recommended a Maytag MHWE450. The reviews I read on that one are not very good. Any suggestions for me? We have 5 kids and need a large, reliable washer.

Comments (10)

• mara_2008
    12 years ago

I can't recommend GE. A friend's is a GE repairman and he says that the new GE appliances are often built with old parts. I didn't know this until I had a disastrous experience with a GE dishwasher a few years ago.

I bought a Maytag Bravos HE TL with an internal water heater. The heater works on almost all cycles, and I use it every time I need true hot or warm water. The capacity of my washer is listed as 5 cu ft, but I don't think they're making them quite that big now. The model number includes 875.

When I use it for true hot water, including the Sanitize cycle, the water is much too hot to touch and it steams up the washer lid. It is hotter than 140F water from the hot water heater. I don't have to use Clorox on white cottons anymore, only OxyClean.

My washer does not twist or tangle laundry, but my former traditional washers w/agitators did.

I wash for a large family and the Bravos has cut my washer loads per week from 10+ down to 3-5. It is also a big help that I can wash comforters, don't have to spend megabucks at the laundromat.

• mara_2008
    12 years ago

I meant to say that a friend's dh is a GE repairman and he says that new GE appliances are often built with old parts.

• suburbanmd
    12 years ago

Can you get your friend's DH to elaborate? Does he mean "new old" parts or used parts? Which parts?

• mara_2008
    12 years ago

Well, that's another "oops". I had meant to say "used" parts.

• manitobasky
    12 years ago

I'm pretty sure if GE was doing this Whirlpool would make sure the world knew the truth, unless they do the same thing.... I can see them using refurbished parts for warranty repairs.

• mara_2008
    12 years ago

GE has been doing this for more than 10 years.

• manitobasky
    12 years ago

Proof?

• mara_2008
    12 years ago

I take the word of the repairman, who has been a GE repairman for several decades. He certainly has no reason to lie. I've also seen this mentioned at other boards online. I can't give you more proof than that, so you can choose what to believe.

• dadoes
    12 years ago

It's reasonable that some items that are returned for warranty -- such as electronic boards, or even motors that comprise multiple components such as bearings, stators, rotors, and start switches -- would be repaired (factory refurbished) and used again. However, it's not plausible to me that reuse would apply to discrete parts that suffer mechanical wear such as belts or dryer drum support slides.

I have run across repairpersons who have thoughts/opinions/conceptions that are wrong. Just saying ...