Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
septic stench in laundry room

Posted by lilyny621 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 10, 07 at 7:54

Every so often we get a whiff of septic in our laundry room and it is awful. I have been told by my builder that the trap needs water in it to seal off the open pipe that leads to the drainage. We poured in about a cup of water a few weeks ago, but I still notice the smell. The house is 2 years old, and it just started happening again, hadn't happened since we moved in. Anything I can do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: septic stench in laundry room

If you have a floor drain it needs to be kept wet to keep the trap charged. My plumber put in a hose from the laundry room sink water supply to the trap, with a little gizmo that lets a drip through every couple minutes. If you don't have something like that you should put some water down the drain more often, like once a week. More often won't hurt anything - the excess goes down the drain after all.

o

It may be your washer and not the plumbing. I have the same problem. Every few months, I rinse the machine with bleach and hot water.

o

We had a similar problem long ago. It was indeed the floor drain causing the problem.

Ours is located behind the washer and is not readily accessible. A little known trick which solves the problem virtually permanently is to pour an adequate amount of full strength standard automobile antifreeze into the floor drain. Last time I did was years ago and no problems since.

I used about 2-3 cups to insure a complete job.

Also, if you happen to have bathroom facilities in your laundry room, the wax seal on your toilet can allow sewer gas to leak. I've seen that happen more than you would imagine. The fix is a new wax ring, about 2 bucks, and 15 minutes to replace.

Good luck.

o

Such drains are typically associated with an inexpensive device required to be plumbed in with them. The device keeps the trap full and nothing more. (Sorry, don't recall actual name of this device but they are quite common) Your "dry" drain may have one of these that has ceased functioning properly. Usually found in a wall near the drain. If it doesn't have one, it should.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here