Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joshing

Samsung WF210ANW feedback

marvelousmarvin
12 years ago

I'm looking for any feedback about the Samsung WF210ANW front loading washers.

I'm not necessairly looking for the 'best' washer. I just want something that does its job, and more importantly, will be durable. My last washer has already broken even though its less than five years old.

Comments (5)

• kidziti
    12 years ago

I ALMOST went with this one but stepped up to the WF330 instead because it had a sanitize cycle. Like you, I was not looking for the best washer, but the best value in the lower price range of front loaders. Samsung definitely seems like a good brand, but the 330 seemed better in build, styling and features than the 210 at roughly the same price point.

We bought ours at Lowes - best deal by far, but the sale ends tomorrow (10% off major appliances with free delivery and haul-away). Also, their credit card offers 18 months interest-free financing.

We still have our white Whirlpool Duet dryer, so to avoid clashing shades of white, we paid an extra $50 for the Breakwater Blue (WF330anB vs anW). When the dryer dies, we'll replace it with the matching blue dryer.

• kidziti
    12 years ago

I forgot to mention - the conventional wisdom here on the forum is NOT to buy a front-loader unless it has an internal water heater (such as a sanitize cycle). That was a big factor in our decision to step up to the 330 from the 210. I think that argument derives from the way water "trickles" into the tub of a front loader, which never allows the water to remain hot. That is not true for a top loader, in which filling a tub with hot water maintains the heat moe efficiently.

The argument sounds like buying a front-loader without an internal water heater is like buying a machine restricted to cold and - at best - warm wash cycles.

• herring_maven
    12 years ago

kidziti: "the conventional wisdom here on the forum is NOT to buy a front-loader unless it has an internal water heater (such as a sanitize cycle). That was a big factor in our decision to step up to the 330 from the 210. I think that argument derives from the way water "trickles" into the tub of a front loader, which never allows the water to remain hot. That is not true for a top loader, in which filling a tub with hot water maintains the heat moe efficiently."

I think that you are confusing or conflating high energy efficiency with front-loading.

What makes a washing machine energy efficient is that it requires a lower quantity of heated water; the more water that has to be heated, the more energy the washer uses per cycle.

Historically -- and continuing to this day -- front-loading washing machines have required about half the quantity of water to wash as effectively as a top-loading machine requires. So, as energy efficiency has become increasingly a priority, many new higher efficiency machines are front-loaders.

However, some manufacturers these days make HE top-loading washing machines. Apart from the issue of whether the top-loading HE washers clean effectively, if a top-loading washing machine claims to be high efficiency, then it necessarily must use a small fraction of the water that a non-HE top-loading machine requires.

A small amount of heated water dumped into the cold tub of a top-loading washing machine will lose as much heat to the environment as the same amount of heated water dumped into the cold tub of a front-loading washing machine.

• livebetter
    12 years ago

@herring maven, true.

That's the other problem with most front load (or HE TL) machines with internal heaters. If they only work in Sanitary they are limited.

I chose the Miele because it will guarantee the target temp in all programs (except Normal).

As herring maven said, heat is lost to the cold drum and cold items to be washed. If the heater won't engage to keep a consistent warm or hot wash then you will be washing in tepid water (even if you have a heater).

The material the outer drums are made of also plays a roll in how much heat they will maintain. Someone might be able to confirm this but I believe most brands use a plastic outer tub while Miele (W4XXX) machines use fibreglass (Glaron K). This material holds heat in better and allows water to run off easily.

I would still want a heater vs no heater so I could at least run a sanitary wash once a month to maintain a clean washer.

• divandan
    12 years ago

I've just bought that model and matching dryer. So far so good. I'm amazed how little water is in, but it does the job. I would also prefer to have a washer that actually heat the water, and not only for sanitary cycle, but this was too good deal to miss. I have no idea how durable would it be, I keep my fingers crossed.