Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gates1_gw

Electrolux 70 series....where's Larsi

gates1
9 years ago

A friend of mine is looking at Electrolux 70 series FL. Larsi I know you have one so did you do a review on it that Im missing? If you didnt, cant you please. Other washers he is looking at are Kenmore 5.2 cu ft, and Samsung 5.6 cu ft? Any reviews on these would be great.

Comments (25)

• Rault85
    9 years ago

I have the Kenmore 41072 (5.2 cu ft) I've been meaning to do a detailed review but just haven't found the time.

In short, I love it. Its huge, obviously, and it handles both a king size down comforter and a thick poly-fill king comforter with ease.

My old machine would only let me add 1 extra rinse at a time, while the Kenmore will let me add up to 3 on most cycles. I know for sure that only 2 can be added to the whitest whites and kids wear cycles.

Their name escapes me at the moment but another user on here informed me that selecting the steam option doesn't inject steam but instead heats the water up to 66 C. I've been using the steam option when I want really hot water but don't need/want the sanitize cycle.

If Im washing a small load and don't select the "small load" cycle, it can take a bit longer to balance.

I love that I can pause the machine and change cycles and options without having to power down first and then losing the wash water thats already in it.

The Accela-wash is a good feature as well but it can really whip up the suds when using liquids. I only seem to have that problem when I use it with any Purex liquid or Gain Thai Dragon Fruit.

It can be a bit noisy when it starts to fill but I haven't found it to be bothersome.

Oh... and it's pretty :-)

• gates1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info andi. I like that the steam will help heat the water up. The cycle changes are good too, thats a plus. I read some owners complain about the washer having a hard time to balance loads in the spin cycle, and bath mats are a huge problem. I dont know firs hand because I dont known one. Have you had this issue? Same goes for comforters. Any issues with vibration in your machine? I used to have a FL..loved it. Now I have a SQ toploader, I was afraid to bu a new FL with all the problems I hear about bearing and this and that breaking so fast.

• Rault85
    9 years ago

The only time I've had any balancing issues is when I have a tiny load and don't select the small load cycle. I've washed rugs and bathmats and haven't had a problem but thats not to say no one else would. The problem is the washer adding a few extra minutes while it takes time to balance so not a big deal for me.

No vibration issues to speak of. My machine has been both on the floor and is now on a pedestal and we've had no problems.

Here's one of the reviews I checked out before I bought mine

Here is a link that might be useful: Kenmore Elite 41072

• gates1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again, I don;t think there is a web page that I have not looked at for reviews LOL. Any cycles that seem to use more water than others?

• Rault85
    9 years ago

I haven't used all of the cycles (rugged, cold clean, workout clothes) but I do know that the bulky and delicate cycles use much more water. The workout clothing cycle defaults to cold (I believe) so Id never use that for smelly, sweaty clothes, yuck. With the rugged cycle, you aren't able to choose water temp or soil level and it activates the steam along with a pretty aggressive tumbling pattern so I haven't messed with it yet.

• larsi_gw
    9 years ago

Hey there!! While I have not done a specific review on our 70 Series Wave Touch washer & dryer.....if you do a search for these units, I have easily commented 10x about them. Nothing but praise for both units!! We are almost at the year mark, and not a single issue! Once you master accessing the options menu, and learn that not all options "save" for each load....the machines are easy to use, offer boundless options and cycles, are super quiet, efficient, fast, leave clothes so soft, wrinkle free (if you use the perfect tumble option). I love them!!!! ZERO buyers remorse!!!

• gates1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks for the info everyone. I went to sears yesterday to pick up some of the sears detergent. I read it gets great reviews, so I want to use it on my stinky oily work clothes. I happen to look at a washer and literally got attacked by two different sales people trying to sell me the front loader and telling me dont even consider samsung as a option cause that is their highest complaint washer. I take that with a grain of salt, cause I have learned, it not what you buy, its how you use it for the right performance....btw,,, I was looking at the kenmore elite 5.2 size, could really look because they were torturing the hell out of me...

• larsi_gw
    9 years ago

@gates1. I believe Sears about Samsung laundry. Several years ago, we tried the very top of the line Samsung washer and dryer. HATED them. They dryer turned every single load into a wet, tight tumbling ball of wrinkled mess. The washer wasn't nearly as bad, but for some reason, nothing smelled super fresh. We went back to Miele for many years, and all was good again. Now almost 1 year in the Electrolux units, and so happy!

• sprtphntc7a
    9 years ago

larsi,
    just curious, why didn't u get new miele's W/D??
    i know u r a big supporter of Miele, as am I, so just wondering...

sorry if i missed your post about this....

TIA

• rpsinfoman
    9 years ago

On the kenmore 41072 an LG{{gwi:807}} product, Kids Wear and Whitest Whites have a programmed extra rinse by default, 3 by default. On these cycles you can add an additional two rinses. If you select Acelawash with these cycles it's one deep rinse, and two spun spray rinses, however you can add back the rinses with the extra rinse option, and still have the benefit of using the twin spray turbo wash jets. Both cycles also heat water to 44C.

There is no difference in selecting a Sanitary cycle or using the Steam option. The 66C is time and weight dependent and most time reaches its target. On lighter loads I have seen it climb to 69C. Recommended weight for Sanitary is like 10lbs, so indeed{{gwi:807}} it's weight dependent. Pushing wash.temp and delay start simultaneously and holding them reads{{gwi:807}} back the water temp in Celsius in the display. Bulky, Comforter, and delicate have the greatest amount of water. Bulky is fixed but Comforter is load sensed so it could be more or less. I have found some of the cycles are gimmicky and duplicates, but have hard programmed options with them. The water hammering is a problem, but water hammer arrestors should be installed. There cheap, 20 a pair. An absolute must unless you want a plumbing problem down the road. That consistent hammering breaks pipes over time, and the aresstors are cheap insurance.

This post was edited by rpsinfoman on Wed, Jan 14, 15 at 5:15

• larsi_gw
    9 years ago

@sprtphntc..... Miele no longer makes "full size" units, and even when they did, they were still much smaller (especially the dryer) compared to American & Asian full size offerings in the USA and Cananda! I loved my Miele units, and the build quality was phenomenal, but I needed something bigger and a dryer that offered more temperature options!

• rpsinfoman
    9 years ago

@andi2928. The Rugged Cycle is a variant or duplicate of Heavy Duty with a hard programmed Steam Option and standard 2 rinses, although the total cycle time is much shorter than the standard Heavy Duty with Steam selected which on my machine runs about two hours, as opposed to 1:40 on the Rugged.

The workout wear IMHO seems to closly resemble a Permanent Press Cycle. Not really of any benefit in cleaning true sweaty workout wear but suitable for synthetic fabrics. Cool wash temperature 80F, short wash and overhaul cycle time. The spin speed is also capped at 800RPM on this cycle, Bulky,and Comforter and changing the modifier only increases or decreases extract time, not the actual RPM speed. Delicate works similar except the final spin speed is much slower (600RPM) and there is no interim spin after the main wash and first rinse. I imagine this is to reduce excess action on the fabrics. I would have liked to see Delicate provide even less mechanical action making it more of a handwash, but thats not the case.

This post was edited by rpsinfoman on Wed, Jan 14, 15 at 12:22

• rpsinfoman
    9 years ago

@whirlpool trainee Are u being funny? It's really how it was designed to work{{gwi:807}}, quirks and all. Lord knows someone needs to write for them because the consumer literature and for that matter the technical literature is the biggest kept secret in the world. With LG that's probably by design. Honestly I don't even think they know the how and why those control boards are programmed the way they are. Most of them are built and outsourced to third parties so it's anyone's guess. So many problems on the service side because there is no clear understanding of how there supposed to work.

This post was edited by rpsinfoman on Thu, Jan 15, 15 at 5:07

• cj47
    9 years ago

I'm late to the party here, but if your friends are still looking at the Electrolux 70 series I can say that I've had mine for over two years and love them. Nice capacity, great selection for cycles, temperatures, and options, and my clothing has never been cleaner. I love the dryer, things come out unwrinkled and ready to fold. Love the extended tumble feature, I can program it to pretty much tumble till I'm ready to go get it. I'm always a fan of appliances that work around me instead of making me work around their quirks. No buyers remorse here. Highly recommended.

• Rault85
    9 years ago

I've noticed that there is actually a pretty big difference between the steam option and the sanitize cycle. When I select the steam option, the temp never gets above 55C, even with the smallest of loads. Kenmore people said this was normal. Also, when I select the steam option, the clothes are soaked but there is never any extra water in the drum. With the sanitize cycle, it goes up to 66/67C and there is a substantial puddle for the clothes to tumble through.

• rpsinfoman
    9 years ago

Not sure the Sears people have a clue! There is nothing in the service literature for WM8000 or this Kenmore Elite remake that specifies target temperatures. Big big secret I guess. The most obvious question is what cycle are you using with steam? The biggest factor is some cycles are much longer and adding steam option gives extra time for the heater to rise the water temperature. It's also very dependent on load size and initial fill temperature. But then again maybe your machine works like it's suppose to and mine doesn't. But honestly I have not be able to distinguish Steam Option vs Sanitary other than the higher water level with the Sanitary. I did notice regardless of cycle, adding the Steam Option seems to run some sort of over ride program and the water level is always lower. I think this is by default otherwise the small onboard heater would never be able to heat it. As an experiment I am going to run a load on Normal/Casual, Acela Wash enabled by default and Steam. It's target time is 1:30. I post back and let you know what temp was actually achieved.

• rpsinfoman
    9 years ago

It's already surpassed 55c with 59 minutes remaining for the cycle. Now at 62c or 143F.

• rpsinfoman
    9 years ago

• rpsinfoman
    9 years ago

Final temperature was 66c, then it added water to cool load to 57c then added bleach for 4 minutes and on to the rest of the cycle. My initial fill was 49c BUT the onboard goofy logic quickly cooled that to 41c and then begins the reheat. lol they call that energy efficient. Just can't get a grip on cooling already hot water, then using electric to reheat it. It's stupid!

• leononmaui
    8 years ago

rpsinfoman-

I have the Sears 41072 and love it.........can I tell the temp of the wash by pushing the water temp button while washing? It looks like that's what you're doing.

• rpsinfoman
    8 years ago

Yes, wash temp and delay start simultaneously reads back the water temp in C. Spin speed and Delay Start reads the tub rotation in RPM. Soil level and delay start reads back the water level or water frequency.

• leononmaui
    8 years ago

rpsinfoman-

Thank you for the info about the temperature. I spend more time at the machine now checking things out.

I have another question for you, you seem to know a lot about this machine.

What are the yellow and sometimes ultraviolet circles of light on the clothes during the different cycles?

Any other information you have?

• rpsinfoman
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

That's just the LED lighting and the spectrum of light in the way it hits the water. I have found that annoying. LOL. Glad I could help. I believe those two machines are identical other than drum size, and one is made in Korea and the other China.

You may also note the onboard heater inactive using eithe Normal or Heavy Duty for energy star ratings. That is irritating for because those cycles are really quite good. Hot on HD is 110F and Normal it's around 100F unless Steam Treat is used.

• leononmaui
    8 years ago

My Kenmore is 5.2 drum size, the LG is 5.3.

Kenmore has Accelawash, LG Turbowash.

Thanks rpsinfoman, I really appreciate your information.

I thought the lights had something to do with suds level.