Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lee676

This is a code violation, right?

lee676
9 years ago

I was surprised to find this photo on the BobVila.com home site in an article about good laundry rooms. When a dryer is in a closet, the closet door must have ventilation louvers, often in specific places. I assume stashing it in a cabinet wouldn't negate that requirement. There are washers and dryers designed to be hidden behind cabinet doors, but neither of these appear to be that type.

{{gwi:2135072}}

Speaking of which, are there any "hidden" laundry machines currently sold in the USA? Asko had some recently but I don't see them online now. Miele had a set with exposed control panels but otherwise hidden; the ones in this picture are Mieles but not the built-in type.

Comments (7)

• practigal
    9 years ago

Depends on your local codes. I'm sure Miele tells you to run the machine only with an open door/adequate ventilation. Asko is still as close as you get to "hidden"....

• Elmer J Fudd
    9 years ago

Looks like the cabinet door doesn't reach the floor, so it's theoretically open.

It could be the ventless condenser type (I'm not current on Miele's lineup, is that all they make now? I bought the last one over 10 years ago, they last too long) and so may not need as much air as a unit that vents to the outside.

• whirlpool_trainee
    9 years ago

This is a vented dryer. The gap underneath the dryer (and the door) should provide enough ventilation.

• dianne47
    9 years ago

I don't know about code violations, but this is a silly design for a laundry room. What if you want to change machines? These fit so tightly that other machines almost certainly wouldn't fit. And how in the world would you service the w/d? Looks pretty hard to pull them out. I give this laundry a big fat F.

• lee676
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The machines should slide out fairly easily, especially if the cabinet doors are removed. These are a very common size - the most common in most of the world - just under 24" or 60cm wide - and sized to fit under standard height countertops. Only the depth varies considerably, from about 21" to 26" front to back. It's like replacing a dishwasher, finding one the same size is easy. Hardest part is often levelling the washer when you don't have easy access to the rear legs.

Design-wise, I don't like the small hinged cabinet doors directly above the countertop. You can't place anything on the counter without having to remove it before opening those doors. They should open upward (not hinged on top, but remaining vertical when opened), or use a tambour door, or be left as open shelves.

• whirlpool_trainee
    9 years ago

Ditto on what Lee said but... at about 200 lbs., the washer won't slide out fairly easily. My grandma has a Miele on ceramic tile and that thing won't budge unless you use brute force.

• Vith
    9 years ago

I have my washer and dryer on furniture sliders. That would work for pulling them out. Also as mentioned the gap at the bottom of the cabinet is sufficient for air movement (the dryer sucks in air from the bottom anyhow).