Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan_no_9

New washer & dryer: Frigidaire?

dan_no_9
12 years ago

After a dozen years our Hotpoint washer and dryer are both having serious end-of-life symptoms. Went looking today. Yeah, Meile would be nice, but I'm already a year late buying my Capital Culinarian because stuff like this keeps coming up. So I'd rather spend under $1500 than over $3000. Got shown a Frigidaire combo today, FL - along with a lot of semi-confusing talk about why a TL HE is NOT as good as an old-style, but a front loading is.

Any experiences with Frigidaire out there?

Comments (7)

• deeageaux
    12 years ago

along with a lot of semi-confusing talk about why a TL HE is NOT as good as an old-style, but a front loading is.

Energy star, water effiency standards,and laws banning phosphates in detergents have rendered the TL obsolete IMO.

A simple rotation in the TL spins all the clothes and rubs them against each other and through a small amount of water at the bottom of the drum.

Whith the top-loader the drum is upright and it becomes a more difficult task getting all the clothes through a small amount of water.

I was also looking to purchase a Culinarian,La Perla II dishwasher,Gaggeanau oven and did not want to spend a fortune on replacing a 4.5 year old Whirlpool TL that died almost two years ago.

I purchased a Bosch Vision washer but not the matching dryer. I have since recommended it to two friends and they purchased the pair and seem to love them as much as I love my washer. They have since been discontiued and are on clearance/sale.

Bosch Vision 500 WFVC6450UC Washer $886.36 delivered.
    Bosch Vision 500 WTVC6330US Dryer $850.56 delivered.OR
    Bosch Vision 300 WTVC4300US Dryer $724.16 delivered.

Electrical components are high quality made in Germany Bosch-Siemens parts. Rest of parts are made and assembled in New Bern,North Carolina.

Best thing I like about the washer is it engages its on board heater on all cycles.

Sanitary cycle reaches 170 degrees F.

Stain removal button breaks down cycle into 12 different temperature zones and washes at least 3 minutes in each zone.

That means it cleans all stains and no stains set in.

And my whites get really white.

Here is a link that might be useful: LINK

• dan_no_9
    Original Author
    12 years ago

"A simple rotation in the TL spins all the clothes and rubs them against each other and through a small amount of water at the bottom of the drum."

Sorry, did you mean FL in this sentence? If not, I'm a bit confused.

• deeageaux
    12 years ago

Yeah,sorry:)

Meant FL not TL in that sentence.

• dan_no_9
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! Why didn't you want a Bosch dryer? Not gas?

• deeageaux
    12 years ago

My 20 year old Whirlpool gas dryer works fine.

I don't like tossing appliances that still work well.

I was trying to save money and this was an unexpected expense.

Bosch does make a matching gas dryer, Vision 500 WTVC6530UC $886.36.

Gas dryers are not the German's strong suit.

Although in the USA,at least all the places I know,it is cheaper to run a gas dryer than electric.

• dan_no_9
    Original Author
    12 years ago

In LA, MUCH cheaper.

Thanks again.

• 3katz4me
    12 years ago

I have had a Frigidaire Affinity washer and dryer at my weekend lake place for a couple years. I have Kenmore HE models at home that I've been very happy with so when my old W&D bit the dust at the lake place I wanted to replace with front load. Unfortunately most FL models would not fit into the space available and the Frigidaire Affinity models were about the perfect size.

They have been working fine but since we don't live full time at this place they get much less of a workout than the ones we have at home. I don't feel like the build quality is as good as the Kenmore/Whirlpool models we have at home. The Frigidaires just feel cheaper and less substantial - that of course doesn't mean their performance isn't good.

I did have one problem early on where the washer was squealing during the spin cycle. It was under warranty so I had someone out to look at it and they said some bolt was loose or something - consistent with my opinion that the build quality is suboptimal. Anyway that seemed to resolve the problem.

I think the washer has a higher spin speed than the one I have at home because stuff is practically dry if I use the top speed and it's plastered to the sides of the washer. I actually don't use the top speed anymore for a few reasons. One is kind of psychological - thinking this thing isn't built that well, why put it through the extra wear and tear if it's not necessary. A lower spin speed gets things plenty dry. I also find the washer seems to move a bit on the highest speed and because it's on an angled floor by a drain I then need to keep readjusting the feet so it's level and solid.

Overall though I've been pretty happy with it. It does all the same things the W&D I have at home does plus more - it has the super hot heated water feature. I rarely use that as I don't like to wash most things in blazing hot water plus it takes a lot longer.