Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sloane529

Pics of new mudroom/laundry in old farmhouse, before&after!

sloane529
11 years ago

We just completed a remodel (tear down, rebuild part of a 100 year old farmhouse) including kitchen, laundry, FR as well as a master bedroom/bath addition. My old laundry was 5' wide so I could not even stand in front of washer with a basket. The new space is narrow but the foot and a half added makes a huge difference! I love the new space. Still looking for the right light and wall hangings for WC, in time.

Before (The space had a shower, washer, dryer, sink. The fabric to the right of the sink covered the old service panel! And sorry, pics seem to have been taken when we were moving out/cleaning up or fixing busted washer!):

Previous "coat closet" & back (= primary) entry:

And the new space, starting with pocket door by new back entry (still the primary entry to the house):

New coat rack/bench:

In use (just missing cushion):

Family command center:

New coat closet:

My requirement: Iron A Way ironing center:

Details: flooring American Olean River Moss tile, counter is Ecotop in Snow White, tile Crossville Savoy beadboard in white with bead liner, custom cabs and bench, wall paint Sherwin Williams Cruising, lighting LED recessed & Restoration sconce, faucet Moen Brantford, Water Ridge dual flush comfort height toilet, other fixtures from Moen, W/D from Sears

I'd love to answer any questions! Thanks again to GW for endless advice and inspiration!

Comments (16)

• georgect
    11 years ago

Wow...really pretty. I love it, great job.

• kiagarden
    11 years ago

What a HUGE difference! It looks GREAT. Bet it makes doing laundry so much "easier! " :-) We are in the process of redoing our laundry room. I'm so excited. Thank you so much for taking the time to share with us.

• mark40511
    11 years ago

I think it looks GREAT! Good job! And to think that ugly brown linoleum floor was ONCE thought to be attractive! I've always hated that 70s looking linoleum.

• Laura6NJ
    11 years ago

Looks like a totally different space, fantastic job!

• mydreamhome
    11 years ago

Beautiful!! Love those doors, the wainscoting and more efficient use of laundry area! Enjoy!!!

• sherwoodva
    11 years ago

Lovely. I love the new back door, the tile, the wainscoting, and the color. I have a new bench like that and still need to cover a cushion. DH cut the foam to fit and I haven't decided whether to use piping or not. Have you decided what to use as a cushion for yours?

I like your taste!!!

• Holly321
    11 years ago

Beautiful home you have!

As soon as my open kitchen/LR/dr is finished, I want to convert a small bath to laundry. My floor plan is similar to this http://homerenovations.about.com/od/bathrooms/ss/BathroomPlans.htm
    Except that I have the icky plasticy shower instead of tub. The shower itself hasn't been used in probly 10 years and is a total waste of space. What you have looks wonderful and is very inspiring. What are your finished dimensions?

• fahrenheit_451
    11 years ago

Well done and thanks for posting as I enjoyed this thread.

• arlosmom
    11 years ago

That's a huge improvement! I really like how the space turned out.

• sloane529
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for the feedback! I really appreciate it!

Holly321: the space is 15' long (+ WC which is 5x3.5')and 6.25' wide. We had that icky plastic shower as well and were so glad to get rid of it. I think you could easily trade your shower for a washer+dryer - either stacked with a sink and cupboard to one side or side by side w/counter above for folding/storage. I find a lot of newer W/D are too high for me to have a counter above be useful (and I'm tallish). My in laws have that set up and it doesn't really function well for intended purpose. Our W/D are actually the same brand from different years so, while they are meant to stack they are not meant to stack on one another. We had our counter fabricator extend the Ecotop over the washer and set the dryer above, with a bracket on the wall behind to support it at the back. It works great! I don't have much counter space for folding, which was intentional as we have never done that in the laundry room, mostly b/c we couldn't before, but we'll fold while watching TV at night instead (then DH helps when he might not otherwise!). ;)

colorcrazy: Thank you for the compliment! I do not yet know what I am doing for the cushion. I have three seat cushions I need to have made and haven't even begun yet. I am considering a dark brown as I think the chocolate is a nice contrast with the white and blue, and would be practical in a potentially messy space. Or a fun pattern! As you can tell, I love color. Piping sounds like a nice, finished touch. Ideaas welcome!

Thanks again.

• frugalwallflower
    11 years ago

So pretty and the wall color is invigorating!

I normally favor toned-down or softer colors, but would love doing laundry in that room! Love the white woodwork, bead board and finishing touches. What a fabulous change you made!

• Pat z6 MI
    11 years ago

How nice!!!!!!
    I envy you.
    Thank you for sharing!!!!
    Pat

• twingle
    11 years ago

Lovely room. Could you tell me about your wooden entry door ~ where you get it manufacturer, style and the pocket door. Very pretty.

• dilly_ny
    11 years ago

Are you happy with your IRON A WAY? Love the concept and I'm hoping to get one. Do you know if these better quality than the ones sold at Lowe's?

• firstmmo
    11 years ago

Looks great! Bet it has helped everyone be better organized and to function better!

• ofionnachta
    11 years ago

Beautiful! I love the colors! I am so envious; my washe/dryer are in basement and always will be--small house. Enjoy it all in great health!!!