Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lady_west

Looking for a washer that actually gets HOT!

Lady_West
10 years ago

I am leaving behind a four year old LG HE top loader when I move this spring. If it weren't for the fact that the washer only gets lukewarm at best, despite being set to HOT, I would be happy with them. The model I have doesn't have a sanitize option, but my water heater is set very high and still I can only get lukewarm water. I'm not sure if I want to try again with LG, I don't trust that a sanitize cycle would get hot enough.

If I want a truly hot wash am I looking at expensive euro washers? I'm on a budget and would prefer to not pay big bucks for a Miele. I'm also not crazy about front loaders, but if that's what I gave to go with to get a hot wash then I'm willing. I don't mind small capacity as I do small loads anyway, but I do need to wash queen size bedding.

Comments (13)

• dadoes
    10 years ago

I have no direct experience with euro-brands, or LG or Samsung ... but Whirlpool & Maytag frontloaders that have a Sanitary cycle get accordingly hot.

• Lady_West
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Do whirlpool amd maytag have internal heaters?

I'd like to be able to do most loads in a warm wash, maybe somewhere around 100 degrees. When I do whites I'd like a really hot wash. My current LG top loader get up to 87 degrees at its hottest setting. I need something hotter than that.

I'm considering an Electrolux wave touch set, but I'm torn. If I spend $2,400 on the Electrolux set it better be damn good otherwise I could spend, what, another $1,000 and get a Miele set. Or would a Miele set be even more than that?

• dadoes
    10 years ago

Yes, many Whirlpool and Maytag frontloader models have onboard water heaters. The heating is primarily for the Sanitary cycle but the PowerWash or StainTreat option can provide a profile wash that starts cooler and heats to a target warm or (mostly) hot temp by end of the wash period. The target temps aren't published so you'd have to learn by experience which combinations of cycle and options give the various results you want.

• whirlpool_trainee
    10 years ago

If you're not crazy on front loaders, Speed Queen makes top loaders that will fill with 100% hot water on the Hot water setting. Whatever you have your water heater set to is what you're gonna get in the washer. They don't have the biggest capacity (3.3 cu.ft) but still enough to wash your queen size sheets (or were you talking about a comforter?).

Alex

Here is a link that might be useful: Speed Queen top loaders

• barney2000
    10 years ago

i have a bosch front loader that has an onboard super heat option. i have never used bleach as it really gets the whites white.

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

Asko front loaders get to 205 degrees F.

$1249 with free shipping.

Here is a link that might be useful: LINK

• Lady_West
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So between asko, Bosch, and Electrolux wave touch which would you go with?

• mrb627
    10 years ago

I think that if you have grown accustomed to the capacity of the LG top loader, you WILL find it difficult to drop down to a Euro-sized machine. For this fact alone, I would go with the Electrolux over the other two.

MRB

• mara_2008
    10 years ago

My Maytag Bravos HE toploader has an internal water heater which can be used on almost every cycle. The Sanitary cycle gets water the hottest. LOVE my washer. :)

• Lady_West
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mrb627: I do like the large capacity occasionally, like when washing comforters. But for the most part I do small loads, in part because I have so many special cateogories to sort (fancy workout wear, dark jeans, handwashing, etc) and because I hate having to fold huge loads of clothing (like when I stuff the washer full of kids clothing, it takes me forever to fold it all)

I do prefer top loading though, I feel like front loading is a pain when clothes fall out. Same with the dryer I guess, I wish those came top loading too.

I'm starting to get all confused, but I thik I recall the Electrolux wave touch washer having a feature at the end of the cycle that releases the clothes from the wall of the tub, to help prevent wrinkling. Also, the reverse tumble feature is of interest to me in the dryer. Unless it was the Miele that had those features?

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

Front load euro sized washers have more capacity than a standard top loader because there is no agitator.

HE top loaders without agitators are a mechanical mess waiting to happen.

If I need service I would rather call Bosch than Asko.

But if you want HOT washes that get whites WHITE! without bleach and kills 99.9999% bacteria dead then there is only one option: Asko.

• mara_2008
    10 years ago

My Maytag Bravos toploader has its own internal water heater, which means I can have true hot water whenever I need it. Love it, love it, love it.

• mara_2008
    10 years ago

Also, my Maytag Bravos is very heavy, very well-made. Zero problems here.