Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you wash a down comforter?

Posted by Twirpy (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 6, 04 at 10:48

My daughter wants me to "do something" with her queen sized down comforter that needs to be cleaned. Momma to the rescue and I don't know what to do! Help me folks!! Can I put this thing in the washing machine?? Must it be "dry cleaned only" and cost a huge wad? Experts...let er' rip!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you wash a down comforter?

I wash mine., haven't seen any ill effects. Just wash and dry on gentle mode.

Hot Water, Hotter the better to kill the bed mites.

o

I washed several of them, down and not down, every few months for the last five years. They are great but take a LONG time to dry, way more than one cycle. Tennis balls in the dryer help to fluff it. I would NOT do it in your washer if it is not made for that capacity, however, as overloading can affect your motor. Repairman told me overloading is main cause of washer failure. Anyway, yeah, I wash mine all the time. It works better if you have a high thread count on the cover to prevent feathers coming out.

o

Yep, I wash mine all the time, but I do it at a laundromat using the largest machine. Drying does take forever and just to make sure it's thoroughly dry I bring it home and drape it over a sofa and let it air for a couple of days.

o

Washer and dryer is fine. There are some companies which make a down wash ( liquid in a bottle). Might even be available from some of the stores which carr down comforters, such as Company Store and Cuddledown.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here