Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msbee_gw

Wanted: Beginner sweater directions

msbee
17 years ago

I am a new knitter and loving it. So I have made scarves..many scarves. Now I ready to take the plunge and try a sweater. Does anyone have a good starter pattern for an easy to knit sweater?

Thank You

Comments (8)

• ironkit
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I would go to my local yarn shop and ask them. Besides, if you go ask them, they'll be able to help you better when you get stuck.

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring03/PATTsweetness.html seems to be pretty good. I haven't knitted it, but I read the instructions.

~ Kit

• threejsmom
    17 years ago

Check out Family Circle Easy Sweaters from your library before you buy and see if the patterns are to your liking and clear enough. If you don't like to sew/seam, the Knitting Pure and Simple patterns have sweaters knit in one piece from the top down. I second Kit's suggestion about getting the yarn and pattern from your local yarn shop if you have one close by so you can get help if you need it.

• msbee
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I thank you for the pattern. Maybe if I took it one step at a time....

I have never been into a yarn store - I would love to be able to afford it. Usually my yarn comes frome Hobby Lobby or Michaels - with a coupon.

My skill level and bank account level are both a little short!

• ironkit
    17 years ago

I understand. I'm a college student and most of my yarn is bought with gift certificates to my LYS or from me finding a pattern I like and slowly saving for the yarn.

Just because you can't afford the yarn in the shop doesn't mean you can't go and use their expertise. :)

~ Kit

• threejsmom
    17 years ago

Not all yarn stores carry only high end yarn, although many have better quality stuff. I've seen Plymouth's Encore, which is a good acrylic/wool blend in yarn stores as well as Cascade 220, a nice wool. Both are reasonably priced and yarn stores may be having post-holiday sales now.

• Dash2
    17 years ago

This is definately a Beginner level pattern. There are some design elements, but not so many that you would get frustrated. While it calls for a specific yarn, any worsted weight will do.

Skill Level: Beginner

Sizes: XS (S, M, L, XL, XXL) The pattern is written for the smallest size with changes for larger sizes in parentheses. When only one number is given, it applies to all sizes. Note: For ease in working, before you begin the pattern, circle all numbers pertaining to your size.

Finished Measurements: Bust = 32 (36, 40, 44, 48, 52)" Length = 22 (22-1/2, 23, 23-1/2, 24, 24-1/2)"

Gauge: In stockinette stitch (knit on right side, purl on wrong side) with larger needles, 18 stitches and 24 rows = 4"/10cm. TAKE TIME TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE.

What You Need:
    Lion Brand Wool-Ease, Art. 620, 80 percent acrylic/20 percent wool, worsted weight yarn (197 yards per skein): 4 (5, 5, 6, 7, 7) balls of Blue Heather (107)
    Size 8 (5mm) knitting needles or size needed to obtain gauge
    Size 6 (4mm) knitting needles
    Tapestry needle

Instructions:
    1. Back: Beginning at the lower edge with smaller needles, cast on 72 (81, 90, 99, 108, 117) stitches. Knit 8 rows for garter-stitch band. Change to larger needles. Beginning with a purl row, work in stockinette stitch (knit 1 row, purl 1 row) until piece measures approximately 15 inches from beginning ending with a purl row.

2. Armhole Shaping: At the beginning of the next 2 rows, bind off 5 stitches. Continue in stockinette stitch on remaining 62 (71, 80, 89, 98, 107) stitches to approximately 21 (21-1/2, 22, 22-1/2, 23, 23-1/2)" from beginning ending with a knit row.

3. Neckband: Row 1 (wrong side): Purl 15 (19, 22, 26, 30, 34) stitches, knit center 32 (33, 36, 37, 38, 39) stitches, purl to end. Row 2 and each following right side row: Knit. Row 3: Purl 14 (18, 21, 25, 29, 33) stitches, knit 34 (35, 38, 39, 40, 41) sts, purl to end. Row 5: Purl 13 (17, 20, 24, 28, 32) stitches, knit 36 (37, 40, 41, 42, 43) stitches, purl to end. Row 7: Purl 12 (16, 19, 23, 27, 31) stitches, knit 38 (39, 42, 43, 44, 45) stitches, purl to end.

4. With the right side facing, bind off knitwise and loosely.

5. Front: Work as for Back, shaping armholes as before, until piece measures approximately 19 (19-1/2, 20, 20-1/2, 21, 21-1/2)" from beginning ending with a knit row. Work Neckband rows 1-7.

6. Neck Shaping: On the next right side row, knit 17 (21, 24, 28, 32, 36) stitches, bind off the center 28 (29, 32, 33, 34, 35) stitches, knit to end. Right Shoulder: Purl 12 (16, 19, 23, 27, 31) knit 5; turn. Knit across next row. Repeat these 2 rows until piece measures approximately 22 (22-1/2, 23, 23-1/2, 24, 24-1/2)" from beginning ending with a wrong side row. Bind off loosely and knitwise.

7. Left Shoulder: With the wrong side facing, join yarn at neck edge; knit 5, purl to end. Knit across next row. Repeat last 2 rows to same length as Right Shoulder ending with a wrong side row. Bind off knitwise and loosely.

8. Sleeves (make two): Beginning at the lower edge with smaller needles, cast on 41 (41, 46, 46, 49, 49) stitches. Knit 8 rows for border. Change to larger needles and purl across next row. Working in stockinette stitch, increase 1 stitch (knit in front and in back of the same stitch) each edge now and then every 8th row 10 (10, 11, 4, 2, 0) times more; then every 6th row 0 (2, 1, 10, 13, 17) times. Work even on the 63 (67, 72, 76, 81, 85) stitches to approximately 18 * (19, 19-1/2, 19-1/2, 19-1/2, 20)" from beginning ending with a purl row. Bind off loosely and knitwise.

9. Finishing: Pin sweater pieces to measurements onto a flat surface. Cover with damp towels and leave to dry. Join shoulder seams. Set in sleeves, sewing the bound off stitches on body to sides of upper sleeves. Join underarm and side seams. Weave in loose ends on wrong side of fabric.

A good place to look for patterns is the Lion Brand site. Their patterns tell you what the level is and can be trusted. If they say Beginner, they will be just challenging enough. But not so much that will frustrate you.

• msbee
    Original Author
    17 years ago

What about knitting on larger needles...finished sweater sooner? I have seen some of the "Knit a sweater in a weekend" headers and they do get my attention...

• feedingfrenzy
    17 years ago

Number 224 looks like a pretty simple pattern for a raglan-sleeve pullover that you can supposedly knit in a weekend. It's knit with super bulky yarn at two stitches per inch.

Here is a link that might be useful: Weekend Pullover

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022
More Discussions