Yikes, weird directions

OklaMoni
15 years ago

I bought a new book, Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk Two

The directions here call for

K1, yf, k3, sk2togpo, k2, yf, k2

This is in row one, pattern for panel A

I am stumped.

I have knitted for about 28 years, but have never learned to knit with the yarn forward (all I know, for a yard forward stitch is purl).

The abreviations:

yf - yarn forward

skpo - slip 1 knit 1 pass slipped stitch over

tog - together

What gives?

Anyone have a better way to explain what I need to do?

all this is supposed to happen over 11 stitches.

TIA

Moni

Comments (7)

• donna_loomis
    15 years ago

Moni, I believe in this instance yarn forward is just another way of saying yarn over - you bring the yarn forward and then back over the right needle and then knit the next stitch.

K1, yf, k3, sk2togpo, k2, yf, k2

Knit one, yarn over, knit 3, slip one stitch to the right needle, knit 2 together, pass the slipped stitch over the last stitch made, knit 2, yarn over, knit 2.

I hope I haven't confused you more.

• Lindsey_CA
    15 years ago

Normally when you knit, the working yarn is held in back of whatever it is that you're knitting; and when you purl, the yarn is held in front.

With a yarnover, or yarn forward, you bring the yarn from the back to the front, as if you were going to purl the next stitch. When you knit the next stitch you put your needle through the next "loop" from front to back, just as you do in a regular knit stitch. But because the working yarn is in front, you have to bring it around to the back (in a counterclockwise direction, which creates a complete wrap around the needle), then you put it over the needle just as you would with a regular knit stitch.

The purpose of the yarn over/yarn forward is to create a hole, for a lacy, airy effect.

• OklaMoni
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks ladies, I was hoping someone could shed some light on this for me. Donna, if I had your phone number I would have called you. Figured, you would be able to help.

the weird thing is, there is also a
    yon yarn over needle, and
    yrn yarn round needle

I may retype this pattern to sound more, like the abbreviations I know. LOL
    Moni

• OklaMoni
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, darn, I should have read the fine print. LOL, it says:

yarn forward, yarn over needle and yarn round needle are all a yarn over in the US.

Just found that, when I scanned the pages in, in case I had other problems, as well as make copies so I can write on the pattern without messing up the original.

Thanks again ladies!

Moni

• Lindsey_CA
    15 years ago

We would like to see some photos of the finished project, when you get to that point. :-)

• peaches12345
    15 years ago

Be sure you end up with the same # of stitches you started with on the pattern row. For each pattern repeat you are decreasing 2 stitches and increasing 2 stitches, so you end up as you started, but with a pretty eyelet type pattern.

• OklaMoni
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am working on the gauge piece. It is a really pretty pattern.

My girls find it funny, that I could not decipher that pattern, as they know how long I have been knitting, and that I can read patterns in two languages. :)

Moni

Sponsored
WM Design Studio, LLC.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Loudoun County's Skilled Residential Architect | 4X Best of Houzz!
More Discussions