Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
thrummed bed socks

Posted by sheilajoyce (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 27, 07 at 22:41

Has anyone combined wool socks and roving to make some really warm winter bed socks? I bought a pair at a holiday bazaar last year, and now I would like to make some for family when I finish current projects. I also do not know where to find roving to purchase to make such cozy bed socks, nor do I know what to look for.

I also have no idea how to work with roving and am looking for input from experienced knitters.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: thrummed bed socks

Maybe, this site will help--
http://www.fibersofmichigan.com/
or: http://www.marrhaven.com/
Hope this helps and good luck.

o
RE: thrummed bed socks

Roving is wool fibers that have been washed and combed/carded by machine into a long continuous 'group' of wool fibers, , but are not spun into yarn..you can easily pull them apart, so it would definitely be best to knit this together with yarn, for stability. ...and roving can be purchased at many yarn shops, of course weaving and spinning shops....and, on line. There are several different forms of roving, but what you'd probably do best with is something called pencil roving, simply because it is about the size of a pencil...duh!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here