Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
M1 question

Posted by socks12345 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 26, 08 at 22:12

I am making a stuffed animal that calls for M1. The pattern says to do this:

"Make 1 stitch by picking up and working into back of loop between last st and next st."

Would that be the M1R or M1B on the left side of the attached link?
---------------------------------------------------------
One other question, please:

Row 12 is a knit row.
Rows 13-39 says to do stockinette.

I guess I should just start Row 13 as a purl row, right? Then alternate K & P through Row 39.

Many thanks.
Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: M1 examples

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: M1 question

I was going to refer you to KnittingHelp.com, until I realized that that's what your link leads to... :-/

I've managed to avoid patterns that call for a M1, so I'm no help at all. Do your pattern instructions give you any clues where it gives a little explanation of the stitches? (It should.)

I can tell you, though, that you're correct in your assumption on the rows 13-39 question. :-)

o

Mi is just make one..often I just knit into the front and the back of the same stitch...if I were you, though, I'd get some scrap yarn and just experiment with making a stitch.....try all the methods....they all have a slightly different look, some create holes (that's a yo or yarn over), but that's nice in some places...
Here's what your M1R, M1L mean.... (again, the way you do this determines which direction the made stitch 'leans'

M1R - With left needle, lift loop between stitches by moving needle tip from back to front and knit into the front of loop to make a stitch that slants to the right
M1L - With left needle, lift loop between stitches by moving needle tip from front to back and knit into the back of loop to make a stitch that slants to the left

o

Sandra and Lindsey--thank you so much for your help. After I studied it some more, I think it's M1F (or M1L). All those versions just gave me brain freeze. It says it's a tight increase with no hole, which would make sense for a stuffed animal.

I appreciate your help.

Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here