Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ivamae_gw

Newfoundland Mitt Pattern

ivamae
17 years ago

Is it possible to knit these on 2 needles and if so, does anyone have a pattern or know where I can get one.

I really like them but I don't like knitting on 4 needles

Thanks

ivamae

Here is a link that might be useful: this pic may help

Comments (16)

• donna_loomis
    17 years ago

I can't see the picture Iva.

• ivamae
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sorry, Donna. I don't know why it didn't work. I'll try to post the pic. I guess one reason that I don't like to knit on 4 needles is that I'm not sure how to carry the yarn at the back.

I love the look of the mittens. I have seen some made up in different colours than this. They were beautiful.

ivamae

• mirren
    17 years ago

Those are lovely mittens. I havent ever made them but I think you could figure it out and do them on two needles. You would have to make sure the end of the mitten, where you are going to sew up the side seam, is opposite the thumb. But then again, when you knit in the round on four needles you just knit and only purl the pattern if needed. When you are knitting on two needles you have to knit one row and purl the next. Would this distort the pattern. I dont have that pattern but I think you would have to read and figure it out. Good luck and let us know what happens.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    17 years ago

Knit in the round using 5 needles, four holding the stitches. It is sooooo much easier than 3 needles holding the work. I also like to make my own dp needles from dowel. The wood dps don't slip out of the stitches as easily as do the plastic or metal dps.

I can't help you with carrying yarn along circular work. I don't tend to use more than one color.

• qiviut
    17 years ago

Maybe you could try a 2 needle mitt pattern with the honeycomb stitch and see if that would work. You might have to knit a slightly larger size to account for the extra bulk. Make the dreaded swatch and see. It seems since this is slip stitch you would have to carry yarn whether 2 or 4 needles are used. Just don't pull too tightly between stitches. Try to avoid having all your stitches near the ends of your needle. Once you get them on the right hand needle push them along frequently. If you want to learn how to weave the colors as you go along watch the Philosopher's Wool video on 2 handed fair-isle technique. There's a clip on their web site.
    http://www.philosopherswool.com/Pages/Streamingvideo.htm
    That video made me love color work! I am not affiliated, nor do I profit in any way from telling you that.
    Merry Christmas!

• ivamae
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for all the replies. Qiviut, I'm so pleased with your little video. That is going to be a tremendous help. I'm sure I can master that, with practice.

A wonderful Christmas to all of you.

ivamae

• Janey - formerly jane2
    17 years ago

You might try doing a Search for "honeycomb", as that is the most commonly used name of the pattern shown in the picture you provided.
    I have a pattern for those type of mittens saved - somewhere!
    And if I can find it, I will pass it on.

• ivamae
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have found the pattern for the newfie mitts but I've searched and searched for Honeycomb and although it is mentioned a lot, I haven't found a pattern. Are they exactly the same thing?

I'm wondering if you really do have to carry the yarn at the back or if I couldn't just work in the few ends there would be, when they are finished. Does anyone know?

Thanks for all the help.
    ivamae

• mirren
    17 years ago

I think you have to carry the yarn because you are working two colours in the same row. Also the double yarn (when you carry it) make for a warmer mitten which is the idea of this pattern I think.

• ivamae
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks miren. I thought that as well, but the pattern I have, although you are using 2 colors, you only slip all the stitches of the one color, purlwise. For example. K4, of colour 2, slip next 2 stitches of colour one,purlwise. repeat to end of row,

repeat row 4 times. the next 5 rows are the same but just moved over a couple of stitches

I don't know how to carry the yarn for color 1 when you really aren't using it at all. That is why I'm questioning whether it is necessary.

I like to knit but this it a totally different patten for me and to say the least I am findin it challenging. I'd problably give up but it is such a nice miten when it is finished.

• mirren
    17 years ago

Ivamae - you really have me intrigued by this now. I found the pattern on the net and I am going to try it myself. I only knit socks but I will try it. If I cant figure it out I will take it to the local yarn store and ask the ladies there. I will get back to you. Happy New Year.

• ivamae
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm glad you are going to try it, mirren. I have done down as far as beginning the thumb and I really can't see the need to carry the yarn, except for warmth. Of couse if I knew how to carry the yarn, that would help. I don't know of any place that I can find out in our city. I'll be inerested to learn how you make out.
    ivamae

• mirren
    17 years ago

Ivamae I sent you an email. mirren

• feedingfrenzy
    17 years ago

Maybe the following exchange (with someone who asked the same question) will help --

------------------------------
    # Anne Maurer
    October 19th, 2006 at 6:29 pm

I have a question. These are done in the round with Colors A and B. Part of the pattern reads:
    Section2: K1B, *Sl2 purlwise with A, K4B* rep to end of row

The following direction reads: Ensure that yarn A is carried in back for this row.

How does one do this? Does this mean the Sl2 purlwise is done with yarn in front? If you keep the yarn in back, as it says, then how
    do you carry it in back and still slip the slip stitches purlwise?

Can you please help?
    Thanks,

Anne Maurer
    # creativewhimsy
    October 19th, 2006 at 8:21 pm

Hi Anne,

In the row you have indicated we are not really using A at all. We are leaving the working end in behind the work as we knit with B and slip the A stitches already on the needles. If we left the yarn A in the front it would end up being a loop in front of one of the colourful squares, which wouldn�t look very good.

Thanks for the question. I�m sure it will answer for those too shy to ask!

CreativeWhimsy
    # Anne Maurer
    October 19th, 2006 at 9:13 pm

Thanks,
    That makes life and knitting a lot easier.

Anne
    ------------------------

BTW, you can knit on 2 circular needles instead of the 4 dps if you prefer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Newfoundland Mitts Revisited

• ivamae
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm so glad you found that, feeding frenzy. that allmakes sense.
    thanks. what a great place to get answers.
    ivamae

• feedingfrenzy
    17 years ago

Glad it helped and good luck with them. They really are striking mittens and should be very warm.