Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what is 'pearling' about

Posted by vacuumfreak (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 21, 06 at 21:01

Hello. I want to learn to knit. I bought two sets of needles, different sizes and some yarn. I printed directions online and also bought a book. I am still having a little trouble getting started. I always cast on fine, and do the first row of stitches. Then I don't know where to attach the subsequent rows and I get stuck. I don't udnerstand what it means to pearl and what the purpose is. If anyone could help me out, I would love to know. I will keep playing with my sewing machine until I can master knitting. Thanks for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what is 'pearling' about

The purl stitch is the reverse of the knit stitch. Just turn around your knitted work, and you will see purl stitches on the back. Look at stitchguide.com for illustrated help.

Purling is almost like knitting. You just put the needle into the stitch at a different angle and into the front of the needle. If you knit, you put the tip of the right needle behind the needle on the left needle, loop the yarn around it, and pull the new loop through the stitch, pulling the old stitch off the left needle.

To purl, bring the yarn end between the needles to the front of the needles; put the tip of the right needle under the front edge of the stitch in the front of the left needle and angle the tip down across the stitch from the right to the left. Then you wrap the yarn around the tip of the needle, pull the loop through the stitch, and pull the old stitch off the left needle.

When you start a new row, you turn your work around first, putting what was the right needle into your left hand. Now the empty needle goes into your right hand. Just put the tip of the right needle through the first stitch on the left needle and knit away.

Purl stitches are bumpy when you look at them from the front. Knit stitches are smooth.

o

The bestest online resource ever for learning to knit!

See link.

~ Kit

Here is a link that might be useful: Knitting Help

o

The purpose of purling is to be able to do more interesting stuff, including the commercial looking V's in your work.

Its just different. You will be happy once you learn it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here