Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missemerald

How to attach crochet edging to a fleece blanket?

missemerald
14 years ago

I had lunch at McDonalds today and while there I was the most beautiful baby blanket -- it was fleece with crochet edging on it. I think it was a shell stitch. The yarn was crocheted onto the blanket with a series of holes punched evenly around the blanket edge. I'd love to try that, but I have no idea what to use to punch the holes. Does anyone have any clue as to what I mean? Or can help? I'm going to post this in the sewing forum too, in case someone there can figure it out. Thanks!

Comments (12)

• donna_loomis
    14 years ago

The least expensive way would be to use a small awl to punch the holes. I bought mine at Joann's. I'm giving you a link to the product, but you can probably buy them at any fabric store. There is a great tool (and expensive) that I'd love to have, but can't make myself spend the money, since I would only use it infrequently. It's called an Edgerydoo. You can do a google search if you're interested

Here is a link that might be useful: awl

• Dash2
    14 years ago

EdgeryDoo doesn't make the holes. It's a template for even spacing. For the life of me I cannot remember the name of a blade; you use it in a rotary cutter. It skips spaces and makes a small notch.

If you have a sewing machine, what I do is use what is called a wing needle. Don't use thread. Set the stitch length to between 3.5 and 4. Then just run the fabric through the machine. The wing needle punches the holes evenly. It's the easiest way I've come across.

• Dash2
    14 years ago

Here's a link to see the rotary blade. It's called a skip stitch.

Here is a link that might be useful: blade

• milney_51031
    14 years ago

It was mentioned to sew two pieces of flannel together & then crochet around the outside. What is the best way to sew them together? Right sides together leaving an opening for turning? Also, rounded corners or square? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I've made receiving blankets single thickness but want to make double thickness this time. Thank you.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    14 years ago

Rounded corners are easier for crocheting an even edge; I use a cereal bowl to trace a nice curved edge at each corner. I sew the flannel pieces together with the right sides facing each other and leave about a 4 inch hole to turn it right side out. You might want to trim the seam edges and to slash them at the curved corners so that they will lay nicely. Then steam iron the blanket after it is turned right side out and stitch the opening shut. Then follow my suggestions above to make pilot holes for a narrow crochet hook to make that first row using cotton crocheting thread. I like to use size 3 thread when I can find it. These are really nice, cozy blankets. I love them for swaddling a newborn.

• billieann
    14 years ago

Edgeroo is a template that will allow you to trim, making rounded corners. It also includes holes to punch using an enclosed awl.
    I punch one layer at a time. They say you can punch up to 4 but you'd have to baste it so it wouldn't slip.

use google to find site

• milney_51031
    14 years ago

Thank you for the add'l info. I found an awl to punch holes in the fabric. I noticed on the link provided that it stated it was 3". I looked at mine that I bought & it doesn't give a size. Anything to be concerned about? Janice

• billieann
    14 years ago

Make a punch board about 1" thick out of cardboard. You can tape it on the edges or wrap with saran wrap.
    I go to the hardware depot store and get boxes. They are already the same size.

• billieann
    14 years ago

Make a punch board about 1" thick out of cardboard. You can tape it on the edges or wrap with saran wrap.
    I go to the hardware depot store and get boxes. They are already the same size.

• corinncarlson_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

I have done several types of this edging and most recently I have found the easiest and fastest method is to purchase pre-edged fleece baby blankets (inexpensive at Target or Walmart) and just use the blanket stitch to attach my first row of single crochets. Even after carefully trimming the "tag" off so it looks more "handmade" I am saving time and it is uniform and neat looking all the way around. I do not have any testimonies to tell if this method can withstand the same wearing, but it is SO much easier to make! Good Luck!

• acraftylady
    13 years ago

I measured and marked with a dissapearing pen where I wanted the holes then used a small hole puch from the scrap book section, smaller than a paper hole punch and it worked for me. Mary

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH
More Discussions