Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
knitting tail help

Posted by andreau0101 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 22, 08 at 20:05

I am VERY new to knitting. I casted off for the first time using the 'continental method' or long tail. I caught on very quickly. After I have casted on, I still have about 2" of the tail still at the top. What do I do with the tail? Do I tie it off, cut it off, etc? I have found that when I just leave it there and try to knit the next row, it gets in the way but it is also too short to push aside.

Any suggestions are wonderful.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: knitting tail help

There are several ways to deal with the tail. If you are knitting that has a definite front and back, and the back will not be seen, you can just knit the tail in when knitting your first row. I would leave about a 9" tail to do it this way.

Or you can weave the end in with a needle.

Here is a link that might be useful: weaving ends in as you knit

o

thank you, I will try that

o

I like to leave the tail evident, till I finish whatever it is I'm working on, to clearly show the beginning of the work (I generally work in the round, so I've found this is a good way to instantly know if I'm approaching the "beginning" of a new row. When I've finished I work it through the finished product, in and out....sometimes I use a blunt nosed wool needle, but more often, just use a crochet hook....and, be sure to do this from the front side, so you can see what you're doing on the part of the product that will be seen. I generally work one way for a while and then completely reverse directions....thinking that turn will keep my tail from accidentally being pulled out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here