Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what am I doing wrong)

Posted by barb_roselover_in (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 12, 10 at 19:35

I have been trying to get some crochet patterns for vests, but I am not being able to get the free ones. It says they are free but I keep getting all kinds of interferences. Most of these seem to be on the yarn sites. Got any tips? Going to start crochet classes and have to bting yarn and pattern. I already know how to knit and can crochet just enough to put my sweaters together but that's all. Thanks in advance. Barb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what am I doing wrong)

Found a site for you: http://www.free-crochet.com/search.html?usage=&criteria=crochet+vest&x=114&y=20
Here is another site: http://www.dailycrocheter.com/patternsdetail.php?type=VE
Hope these help and good luck.

o

You need to set up a username and password darned near everywhere these days in order to download anything. Silly to do for places you may never visit again, but they make you do it anyway. That might be what is keeping you from accessing the free patterns.

-Babka

o

It didn't work. Said you have to be a member to get the free crochet pattern that I picked. I don't like to go through this because they sell your email address and then you are inundated--which I HATE. I would just buy the book if I could find one I like--but they are few and far between. Barb

o

Barb, set up a seperate free email thru yahoo or hotmail and use that for the sites you need to register with, so you don't get burried in the junk mail. Tho I do have to say that I don't get much if any from Lion Brand, or the others. I have non from ravelry. Hope you find what you want. I learned to crochet long before I can remember, only learned to read a pattern about 15 years ago, then learned to knit about 9 years ago. Now I don't even want to crochet, but knit almost every day. Have fun learning something new!

Tami

o

I haven't noticed any spam e-mail from reputable yarn/pattern sources over the years. Where you get the big spam e-mails is by posting your e-mail here and on other public forums for ANYONE to see. There are robotic programs that scan public forums looking for e-mails given out in posts.

And Tami is right about setting up a seperate free e-mail name at yahoo or gmail, and not give that out to anyone but the pattern places. Soon you will figure out who is selling your addy and who isn't.

-Babka

o

Most of the patterns on Crochet Pattern Central are free, and there are thousands of all types, and you don't have to register or jump through any hoops. Have fun browsing :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Crochet Pattern Central

o

I have belonged to lionbrand, bernat, red heart and such for years and don't get extra spam from them. Well worth the free membership to get all the patterns. If you don't want to give your info them maybe you can buy a nice book of vests patterns. Mary

o

Hi Barb,
Below is a link to a website that I like to browse from time to time. In the edit tool, type the word "vests", you should find what you want. I love these old booklets, some times the instructions are different than what I'm use to.

You can download these files to your computer, to use later. Have fun.
Later, Joyce

Here is a link that might be useful: Antique Pattern Library

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here