Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
donna Loomis/skilled knitters, please?

Posted by shaddy101 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 5, 08 at 19:34

have a question for you. Short of using an overlock machine, is there a way to cut down knitting or crochet work, without ripping out? Debbie's done her first sweater (back, front, & 2 sleeves so far), and there's only a problem with the width of the back. THat must have been her first piece, and it's about 4 inches too wide.
Grandma used to do it. Cut right along with scissors, and tie off the ends. I can't help thinking there must be a little more to it than that! So I don't want any holes, but do want it to fit her well.
Someone asked me the above, and as I am not a knitter, I didn't know what to tell her, could someone respond to this plea of hers?
Be most grateful, both of us.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: donna Loomis/skilled knitters, please?

You take a regular straight stitch machine, sew along the edge with a short stitch, go back over the stitching again, and then cut. Elizabeth Zimmerman used this method of "steeking" to make the armholes on Nordic style sweaters and to cut the center open on cardigans because she much preferred to knit the whole body in the round.

Annie

o

Annie gave pretty much the same advice I would have. I have never steeked (too afraid), but you could check out some of EZ's books to get some ideas.

o

I've steeked and believe me, it's scary....EZ says, after doing it go to a dark room and lie down, to recuperate! It does work, though. I'd hate to see her ruin the back, and all the yarn in that piece, when she could unknit it and reuse the yarn for a better fitting piece.
Is the yarn wool? I'm a big one for blocking to take care of problems...generally it means tugging to the right size, pinning down and then spraying with water and letting dry. 4 inches big would be 2 inches each side. You could try a swatch, measure it, dampen it and see if blocking could reduce the size...and if so, how much.

o

Just reknit it. Rip it out and make the right size back. I have never steeked, but I read where those who have been brave enough to do it describe it as fun, but they were reacting to following a steek direction to add a pocket or sleeves or make a cardigan. This is just repairing a poor fit, so maybe even the fun won't be there.

If you are going to knit or crochet, you have to face the reality of ripping out mistakes to make an item right and something you will be proud of having made. It builds character!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here