Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mjjones453

decorative Crochet, and magic crochet- ordering info?

mjjones453
18 years ago

Does any one have current information on where I can order these magazines? How much they are, I realize they have been changed, but can you still get them?

Comments (9)

• donna_loomis
    18 years ago

My understanding is that they are no longer printing this magazine. If I am mistaken, I hope somebody sets me straight. This is one of my favorite magazines.

• greyling
    18 years ago

The last issue I received was this past October. I called the distributor company this past summer because I hadn't received an issue since April, and they said they were reorganizing the magazine but the receptionist gave me very little additional information.

I'm going to call them again on Monday and see what's going on. They never sent any notice of the magazine being canceled or anything.

The last 2 years, their customer service hasn't been very good. They never even sent notice of renewals, I had to contact them. I did notice that the editor changed. I've been a subscriber since '84, and until recently, there was the same editor. Must be something over in France.

If I can get any info, I'll post back next week.

• donna_loomis
    18 years ago

Yes, Greyling, please do come back and tell us what you've found out. I went to a website that supposedly sells the magazine (recommended by someone on another forum) and it is all in french (not my language). I did send an email a couple of days ago, but no response as yet.

• greyling
    18 years ago

The company that distributes Magic and Decorative Crochet is Realtime Pub. Services out of Danbury CT. I called today, and they have combined Magic and Dec. Crochet into "Crochet Monthly", and they will honor your subscriptions until they run out and they are not taking any more orders for subscriptions.

I asked how come I haven't rec'd any magazine since Oct, and the lady said they would be coming out sometime this month. (Seems like Crochet Monthly is only coming out quarterly.)

That's all I could get out of their customer service dept. So I really don't know if Crochet Monthly is going to be a dependable magazine or not. Here's the phone # I have for them in case anyone wants to check on their own subscriptions 203-792-4700.

• pattianne2
    18 years ago

I just found the magazine available for subscription @ amazon.com for
    $65.16 ($5.43/issue) Issues: 12 issues / 12 months

There is certainly no discount in price. This is the only thing I have found, and they refer to it as a British magazine (Magic Crochet was French and published in English. Now days with all the takeovers and buyouts it is hard to tell. My son is a photographer in San Francisco & works for a British owned magazine group that publishes lots of zines and just took over a scrapbooking mag.

Hope this helps someone.

Here is a link that might be useful: amazon.com Crochet Monthly-Subscribe

• crochetdoilies_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

I sell used back issues of both magazines Magic Crochet and Decorative Crochet on my website. These are hard to find nowadays...

Here is a link that might be useful: CrochetDoilies.com

• rc22_localnet_com
    12 years ago

a friend gave me this magic crochet oct.1990 do have next issue available and am interested in filet i got doing this and i love it anything on filet is most helpful.
    i would appreicate any info thank you
    R.C.

• pamela_jamaica_bellsouth_net
    12 years ago

irealy would love to get these books again

• Angel7Lady
    12 years ago

Hi folks. I'm 54; Dad's Mom taught me thread crochet; it is quickly becoming a lost art. Just check out the 4H booth at your local ag-fair. I've been making doilies, garlic bags, curtains, clothing ... ever since. Magic was my fav; I had the info from the company in NH [where I spent many years] that created the software to translate written patterns into the diagrams we all love; but alas.... I am going to scan my crate of mags in case something physical happens to them..... any thoughts? copyrights to a vanished empire??? etc.??