Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beautiful popcorn knit scarf

Posted by sheilajoyce (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 15, 07 at 16:18

I combined stitches from an afghan panel I like with an edging for this pretty muffler. Thought I should share the pattern. It makes up quickly and is my favorite muffler pattern.

Popcorn Stitch Muffler

Materials: size 15 knitting needles and about 10 ounces of Caron Simply Soft worsted acrylic yarn.

Use double strands of the Simply Soft for the entire pattern.

Cast on 24 stitches.
Row 1: Seed stitch-- k1, p1 across.
Row 2: P1, k1 across.
Row 3: repeat row 1
Row 4: Repeat row 2.

In the body of the muffler, you will continue the seed stitch on the first and last 4 stitches of each row to make a border. The pattern will be on the middle 16 stitches.

Row 5: (K1, P1) twice. Purl 16. (k1, P1) twice.
Row 6: (P 1, k 1) twice. *[(K,P,K) all in the same stitch, P 3 tog.] 4 times. (p1, k1) twice.
Row 7: Repeat row 5.
Row 8: (P1, K1) twice. [P 3 tog, (K,P,K) all in one stitch] 4 times. (P1,k1) twice
Row 9: Repeat row 5.

Continue with the pattern rows till the scarf is as long as you want. Make the last row in the pattern the Row 5
row. Then do 4 rows of the seed stitch border. Bind off in seed stitch.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beautiful popcorn knit scarf

How is the muffler different from a scarf?

Thanks for the pattern. My sister sent me yarn for Christmas, so I might use it to make this "muffler."

Susan

o

How do you K P K all in the same stitch? Does that stitch have a name? I would look up the stitch on line if it has a name. I know this is probably a dumb question but I'm a visual person as far as patterns go.
Donna

o

A muffler is a warm neck scarf to wear with your coat to keep warm.

The stitch, Donner, is the popcorn stitch. You knit into the back of the stitch and don't pull the stitch off the left hand needle. Then you purl in the same stitch and again do not take the stitch off the needle. Finally you knit in the same stitch again, and this time you take the stitch off the left needle.

It is probably called some other names too, such as a cluster of some kind.

o

OK Thanks Now I can look up the stitch. I really want to try the pattern.
Donna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here