Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help-- making yarn buttons with those little plastic rings?

Posted by sheilajoyce (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 30, 05 at 13:37

I am knitting a chunky baby sweater/jacket using 3 strands of worsted in pink, light blue and light sage. I am putting it together and need some equally chunky buttons, so I thought I would try to make buttons using those plastic rings for making buttons (but that I have bought to use as stitch markers on my large knitting needles). I have 3/4 inch size that ought to work, but I can't seem to figure out how to make a nice button. I have seen them, so I know it is possible. Any advice????

By the way, if you are interested, the sweater pattern is on the diynet.com site under the "Knit One, Purl Two" show's list. I refuse to spend $40 on yarn or to make a baby item of wool, so I used inexpensive acrylic worsted and slightly smaller needles--15 and 13. And by the way, you do not need all the supplies she lists in the "materials" section. Just straight or circulaar needles size 15 and 13, stitch holders, and a yarn needle,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help-- making yarn buttons with those little plastic rings?

With chunky, that might be difficult. It would be better if you could find a coordinating or matching yarn in a worsted or sport. Just ch 2 (or make a magic ring) and sc into the second chain. You'll have to play with it, probably 10 or 12 sc. If that doesn't almost fill in the hole, do another round of sc, increasing every 3rd or 4th stitch. Then just put this into the center of the ring and do another row of sc around the ring, making increases as necessary. That will give you a flat button. Anything else, you're on your own.

o

Thanks. I will try it. I will use just one strand of the worsted to do it, and it should be ok. What is a magic ring?

o

Oh, Sheilajoyce, this is my Christmas present to you! You will love the magic ring!

Here is a link that might be useful: magic ring

o

Thanks, Donna. I will try it next time. And Merry Christmas to you too.

o

Donna, Thanks for that site. I'm going to try it!! Makes it look so easy!!

o
How about LoRan Creative Buttons - Help!

I can't figure out how to start the LoRan Creative Button. The pictures only show a continuation of an already-started button. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks. May have to do the old-fashioned window-shade ring thing after all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here