Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kren_pa

seeking giant stocking pattern

kren_pa
16 years ago

hi all

i am new to this forum, but have been knitting about 20 years...sometimes more than other times. but i am absolutely not getting rid of my "extra yarn bin" ...ever!

i am trying to think ahead to next Christmas and am looking for a knitting pattern for a giant christmas stocking. i have a regular stocking pattern, but don't really know how to enlarge it (i have never been good at knitting socks). i don't need any special pattern on the stocking, i thought i would just use some christmas colored yarn. any ideas? thanks in advance kren

Comments (8)

• tami_ohio
    16 years ago

My very first stocking I made by enlarging a sock pattern. I cast on as many stitches as I wanted, rib knit the top as far down as I wanted, stockinette stitch as long as I wanted, knit the heel flap as usual, then for the "cup" of the heel, I think I still knit the 5 after the purl to center y/o p 2 tog, and finished the heel according to reg. sock instructions. Knit foot to lenght wanted, decrease toe, kitchener st. closed.

And I ALWAYS need a pattern! If I have time tomorrow, (it's 10:30 pm),I'll try to count it out for you. But, no promises, as I have a very full day tomorrow! It is about the size of a reg. store bought stocking, maybe a little bigger. I made it for my grandson 4 years ago.

Tami

• gardenway
    16 years ago

What size do you mean by giant? I've knitted some 18" long, "leg" width about 7", foot length (from heel to toe) about 11.5"
    Knitted these some time ago, but quite sure I still have the pattern if you are interested.

• tami_ohio
    16 years ago

kren, I looked at the stocking I made this morning. I used worsted weight yarn and cast on 66 stitches, probably on at least a size 8 or 10 needle. I did about an inch of 2 x 2 ribbing, then started stockinette stitch. The heel flap is about 3 inches long. Hope this helps.

Tami

• tami_ohio
    16 years ago

Here is a link a picture of the stocking I made.

Here is a link that might be useful: stocking

• tami_ohio
    16 years ago

I'll try again later. I am using a new photo hosting site and am still learning to use it.

• tami_ohio
    16 years ago

• kren_pa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

wow thanks tami!! your stocking looks really nice, i like the wide stripes. i was thinking of a stocking really huge, like 3 foot long and 1 foot wide. i saw a picture of one once that they were giving away to babies born on christmas at a hospital...it was large enough to hold the baby with lots left over! thanks for your hints.

kren

• tami_ohio
    16 years ago

kren, then all you have to do is cast on enough stitches to make it as wide as you want, I think this one is about 8" across. I would make the ribbing about 4" wide if you are making one that big. Maybe wider. Then just knit until you have it cuff to heel as long as you want it, same with the foot after you knit the heel. If you want it 1' wide, try casting on 100 to 120 stitches with a size 8 or 10 needle.

Merry Christmas!

Tami

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations
More Discussions